Li Ning A+70 Goose Shuttles (Budget and Cheap)

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by mms6a, Jul 16, 2013.

1. mms6a

mms6a Regular Member

Smasher
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Costs $13-$14 over here for a tube. But can be bought for cheaper in Asia for around $9-$11 for a tube of 12.

Good price to performance ratio.

Attached Files:

2. GaryC

GaryC Regular Member

IT Analyst
    Awesome, thanks for the quick write up. I just bought 6 tubes of these.

3. Elisha

Elisha Regular Member

I own a tube of these since April. Unfortunately it was still too cool to use it inside cause it was a slower speed rating in April. The flight was a bit too slow. Initially it fell apart pretty easily but after steaming it, it became way more durable.
    Some of the guys who play at the University use it now that the inside of the court is reaching 25-28 degrees and it is up to speed!
    So definitely a good summer shuttlecock for us in Canada considering the price!

4. mms6a

mms6a Regular Member

Smasher
    Indeed, the A+70 and the A+60 steaming is REQUIRED, or the feathers would break apart.

The cork is alright especiallyfor the price though.

For thr price, it is great training and club playing shuttle (not recommended for competition as the flight consistancy is not as good as higher end shuttles)

I have a few tubes of A+60 coming, and I really want to compare the two as they are priced almost the same.

5. Elisha

Elisha Regular Member

The numbering is odd. Isn't the A60+ a higher end shuttlecock?

6. mms6a

mms6a Regular Member

Smasher

Not really. I think the A+60 and A+70 has the same feather quality (steaming), as for thr cork, I am not sure, but I am hoping it si the same as the A+70, half natural cork and half composite cork.

Other than that, the A+60 is slightly better deal as it costs around $14 a tube, and you get 15 shuttles in a tube, that is less than a dollar per shuttle lol

I will do comparison between 60 and 70 once I recieve my tubes.

The higher end Li Ning BWF approved shuttles includes the A+100, A+300 and the top of the line A+600 (costs in between a AS40 and AS50, too damn expensive)

#6 mms6a, Jul 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  7. Elisha

Elisha Regular Member

Ah nvm. I just went by the price. I didn't realize that the A60+ was 15 pieces!

8. mms6a

mms6a Regular Member

Smasher
    Just tried to play with a A+70 without straming earlier tonight, about 3 feathers stems snapped, but the overall feathers seems to still be intact after about 10-15 mins of warmup rallies, high clears, drives, smashes and net. The feather stems seems to be the weaker part of this shuttle.

Frame shot smash will definitely kill and snap one of the feathers lol

The cork tip (natural cork) seems to hold up well, but the composite half slightly collapsed, it collapses more than an Aeroplane Black (since the composite is in between natural cork, about 33%)

9. GaryC

GaryC Regular Member

IT Analyst
    I'm going to give a tube a try tonight. I prepared them with a little steaming, let's see how these hold up.

10. mms6a

mms6a Regular Member

Smasher

Awaiting for your feedback Gary.

11. GaryC

GaryC Regular Member

IT Analyst
    Almost forgot :p

Came back from our session pretty impressed for the price/performance these has to be the best I've used. The first one I took out of the tube had some issues with flight, it wobbled through the air badly so we just used it for warm-ups.

The second one lasted a 1.5 games, some of us haven't played in a while so it was a mix of advanced/intermediate/beginners. No real breakages on the feathers until maybe half way into our first game but it was due to a bad hit on my friends part. Still flew okay though. My more advanced friend was saying that the cork compressed pretty quickly and he didn't like the feel so we switched to his old stock aeroplane for the next game (he didn't steam it so it broke pretty quickly).

Anyways after playing like 4 hours (mix of games and some training type stuff) we ended up using like 6 shuttles of the li-ning and 3 aeroplane shuttles.

For 13 bux I don't think you can beat these, just be sure to steam them of they are goners quickly.

12. mms6a

mms6a Regular Member

Smasher
    Thanks for the feedback.. It is almost the same as my impressions.

We play these cheap A+70s in clubs during the weekend, and mostly doubles game with Intermediate+ to Advanced players.

A shuttle after steaming will last around 12-15 points in a doubles game (that is no frame mishits). And the feathers will still be intact as long as you do not mishit. If mishit however, the feather stem will snap, and the flight will start to wobble quite lot.

The cork is made of 50% natural cork on the tip, and 50% complex cork on the feather side. After playing, the tip of the cork does not have much deformity, but the complex cork part will start to collapse quite a bit. Only if they used a little bit more natural cork to reinforce it near the feathers..

If you look at the string/glue job on the A+70, you can see the strings looks so much neater than the new stocks of Aeroplane Black. On the new stock Aeroplan Black, there are excess glue around the string threads, and may add a bit of weight to the shuttles.

Aeroplane Black feather stems are stronger than the A+70's/ Most of the times, the stem will not break like the A+70.. But at twice the cost, I would rather stay with the A+70 since we are not playing competitions lol.

13. jjashik

jjashik Regular Member

I have used roughly 4 tubes and they have all been terrible. While they may behave normally for a clear or smash, any soft shots (like drops, serves, or worse, net shots) becomes unpredictable. The bird tends to flop and wobble off the strings (losing speed) and hence any soft shot is much shorter than with other birds. In fact, they have all been quite consistent in this weird behaviour.

Moreover, other A+70 users who I've talked to confirm this problem, and others yet complain about the shuttles when we play with them. Yes, they are cheap, but I'll pay a couple of dollars more and get birds that are playable. I am not sure how the op and others are rating them as 'good' but they are two thumbs WAY down for me and many others I have spoken with. I have yet to meet anyone in person that has liked them, even considering their price.

If durability is all that counts for you, all the shuttles that I've used last well enough if properly steamed. The good ones (RSL green come to mind) do tend to last longer (thicker stems and fatter feathers) but more importantly have truer flights.

14. mms6a

mms6a Regular Member

Smasher
    Well, we did say these are fine for recreation, although flight is kind of too fast (need to kill tip to slow down in the AC courts)

The cork does not feel as solid as the more pricey ones, and the flight is not that consistent.

But the A+70 are great for training and recreational play due to the price, goose feather and the 50% natural cork

15. jjashik

jjashik Regular Member

"We play these cheap A+70s in clubs during the weekend, and mostly doubles game with Intermediate+ to Advanced players."

You're saying on one hand it's meant for recreational play (meaning beginner, I take it, as we nearly all play for fun and not livelihood), and on the other you mentioned intermediate & advanced. My point was to send a clear feedback to those interested that its usage should be restricted to the former, and not latter levels.

The fact is that intermediate players and above will have a tough time enjoying playing with a shuttle that behaves so poorly for sensitive shots, especially net shots. I would fully agree that for beginners it is good enough; but so is plastic. (Don't get me wrong, though I prefer feather, I often play with plastic so I don't espouse a snobish attitude towards the synthetic shuttle.)

16. mms6a

mms6a Regular Member

Smasher

Well advanced recreational players does not mean we have to do competitive, but we do tell a difference of what kind of shuttles we prefer (though some are ignorant to try new brands and are fanboys lol)

Some of the players in the group does not like the feel of the A+70 and and speed, and I can understand, but I just do not have the money to buy top end shuttles for power players to practice smash and kill a good shuttle in a matter of minutes.

Sometimes on dry and cold winter days, we even play with those green tip Mavis 2000/300s

Not to mention, we do practice drills in between the games. On the side note, when I wrote the original post, we were just testing out the A+70 shuttles. Now we mostly use Victor Greens, WECAN, A+100s for the more serious games. But just for fun and drills, the A+70 does not burn a hole in our wallets. For club tourneys and local tourneys, if we need to provide our own shuttles, we still like the Aeroplane Black.

High skill level does NOT equals to us having loads of money to spend on top shuttles for every occasion lol. Normally we all carry a few tubes of shuttles of cheap and higher end shuttles, for warmup and drills; and for more speed play with out double pairs in the club..

If you have a lot of cash to spare on top of line shuttles, by no means, buy what you can afford.. But like the OP, I do recomment this shuttle for the price and for recreation play/training/drills and warmups..

#16 mms6a, Aug 2, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  17. Shinyballoon

Shinyballoon Regular Member

I realy like how you cut the shuttlecock in half. so we can see the natural and complex cork. off-topic but, which yonex ones are all natural cork? and which li-ning ones are all natural cork? I can't seem to find a picture where it shows the grey label that shows "head"

18. mms6a

mms6a Regular Member

Smasher
    I believe the A+300 and A+600 are all natural cork...

But with the price of A+600, I would rqther buy a genuine Yonex Aerosensa lol