User Tag List

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Imo, I think the Badm Association Thai (BAT) needs to do a self reflection too (and meted with some punishment too to BAT).
    I, from television viewing and news reports, am able to "see" that both Issara & Maneepong are not on good terms (but I did not expect a "live boxing match" during a badm Final) even before London Olympics 2012.
    BAT could have mediated and gave stern warnings to the 2 of them then (because most can see these 2 as rising stars in MD, and Thai MD hope). The pair split was just a 1st step as Issara became an independent player, and media already reported that "people" are trying to keep these 2 players "apart".
    BAT could have intervened and stop having these 2 players playing in same tournament, or to take precautionary measures if they are playing in same tournaments.
    The Olympics WD has somewhat tarnised badm, and now this Thai MD ex-partners.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy_Goh View Post
    Imo, I think the Badm Association Thai (BAT) needs to do a self reflection too (and meted with some punishment too to BAT).
    I, from television viewing and news reports, am able to "see" that both Issara & Maneepong are not on good terms (but I did not expect a "live boxing match" during a badm Final) even before London Olympics 2012.
    BAT could have mediated and gave stern warnings to the 2 of them then (because most can see these 2 as rising stars in MD, and Thai MD hope). The pair split was just a 1st step as Issara became an independent player, and media already reported that "people" are trying to keep these 2 players "apart".
    BAT could have intervened and stop having these 2 players playing in same tournament, or to take precautionary measures if they are playing in same tournaments.
    I disagree...you cant blame BAT...a while ago..some of INA players were not in good term and did play same tournaments...it was OK...it depends on the players...BAT cant be hold responsibility or that...all players have equal rights to enter any tournaments they wish.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy_Goh View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by huangkwokhau View Post
    I disagree...you cant blame BAT...a while ago..some of INA players were not in good term and did play same tournaments...it was OK...it depends on the players...BAT cant be hold responsibility or that...all players have equal rights to enter any tournaments they wish.
    Agree with Hauge on this one, the players don't train together anymore so they've been kept apart as much as possible. They couldn't prevent either pair entering as that would show a perceived bias to one or the other. And once national associations start preventing players from entering tournaments, you start entering another territory that is trying to be eradicated by the players themselves.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Here is what the BWF Judicial Procedures say under Section 5, Penalties and Finalcial Compensation.
    http://www.bwfbadminton.org/file_dow...d=357884&tid=1

I am just quoting a couple of relevant points here:

2. If appropriate, the judicial body concerned may recommend payment of money as financial
    compensation against those (in particular member federations, clubs, players, officials) whohave behaved in a negligent or inappropriate manner that has caused financial loss or damage
    to another party.

Question: Will the Canada Open be in the line for compensation?

3. Any suspension is from all competitive events for such time as is seen fit, including possibly
    for life.

Question: Will "all competitive events" include international leagues (which are usually run under the auspices of the host contry's National Association)?

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Granular Club seeks reduction in Bodin's ban from two years

Lerpong Amsa-ngiam
    The Nation July 29, 2013 1:00 am

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/spor...-30211333.html

Excerpt:

...However, Granular Club, which has Bodin in its roster, views the punishment as too severe. Club president Jane said he would launch an appeal to both BAT and the Badminton World Federation (BWF) to reduce the ban to one year or just six months. The BWF is set to hear the case on August 2.

"I understand that BAT would like to set a standard but a two year ban is too severe.

After the BWF announces its decision, we will file a petition," said Jane, who was banned from accompanying his team to local and international events for six months by BAT for failing to discipline his player.

Jane also said that Bodin was depressed because of the punishment. He said he would send Bodin to train with clubs in Taiwan, Malaysia and Indonesia during the ban to keep himself fit.

Meanwhile Maneepong said that although he accepts the decision by the BAT he regrets missing out on playing in three big up-coming events, next week's World Championship in Guangzhou, the China Masters and the Japan Open.

"I think I will go back to my hometown in Phuket to recover from my injuries and regroup mentally," said Maneepong.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bodin makes a plea to BAT to reduce Maneepong's ban so that Maneepong can participate in the upcoming World Championships.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/spor...-30211451.html

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's another communicate:
    Dear all,
    Iím Bodin, also known as Art. After I have returned from my trip, I have spent some time to consider and discuss with many respected members regarding the event in which I have injured a fellow professional who was also my friend in front of many spectators. I realize that my action was wrong and I regret my action. I should have had more self control.

I would like to apologize to the ...BWF and its members, Badminton Canada, The Badminton Association of Thailand Under His Majesty's Patronage, its supporters and everyone. I accept all responsibilities for my own action.

Apart from the above statement, I would like to apologize to each individuals starting from respected members and committee from Granular club. I hope that my action would not cause issues between the club and the Association. I would like to apologize to the Badminton Association of Thailand and the judges to have caused such a terrible incident. I also would like to apologize to ďTopĒ who is my partner that I may have tainted his reputation and may even cause him a place in future tournaments. If Top would like to find a new partner, I would understand and gladly accept his decision.

Lastly, I would like to apologize to "A" Maneepong who was my partner and also the person I attacked. I should not have dragged him into this situation. I cannot express the grief that Iím in to have caused such an incident from my own temperament. I didnít expect that our past differences would have erupted as it did. Iím truly sorry. I should have handled the situation differently. Iím very sorry that my action has also caused him a penalty.

I realize that my action was wrong. I accept all blames and responsibilities. This terrible incident was caused by my action and my action alone. Iím extremely sorry for my action and if I had been able to control myself, all of this wouldnít have happened. As of this moment, I can only apologize and accept all responsibilities from my action. I know that this will not make things right, but I do hope that all of you would give me a chance. A chance to prove that Iím a better person than this. A chance to make rights from the wrongs that I have done. A chance to better the image of the sport I love and that I have tainted. With all my sincere apology.

Bodin Issara (Art)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quite Artistic!

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
    You set a precedent and everything follows from there.

Punitive action is meant to discourage others from making the same mistake. The rule applied has to also form a deterrent, otherwise it is useless and only addresses the immediate situation. That would be an ostrich-in-sand approach. Sounds like what BWF would do!
    If you really want to look for a precedent, go back 12 years. A badminton player went into the stands and hit a spectator (who was heckling him) with his racquet. I am not sure what bwf (or IBF) gave as punishment but am almost certain no ban was given.

Drugs gets you a two year ban. I think a punishment should be 1-2 years as Scorpion1 suggested. But I really think the previous situation of a player hitting a spectator should be used as guidance.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^ iirc that heckler was not hit by the racket but a water bottle that was thrown ended up hitting another fan sitting nearby.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    ^ iirc that heckler was not hit by the racket but a water bottle that was thrown ended up hitting another fan sitting nearby.
    Are you sure ...?

What happened afte the water bottle was thrown and missed the heckler ?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post
    If you really want to look for a precedent, go back 12 years. A badminton player went into the stands and hit a spectator (who was heckling him) with his racquet. I am not sure what bwf (or IBF) gave as punishment but am almost certain no ban was given.

Drugs gets you a two year ban. I think a punishment should be 1-2 years as Scorpion1 suggested. But I really think the previous situation of a player hitting a spectator should be used as guidance.
    This player is Taufik?

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post

Correct. BWF fiddled 12 years ago. BWF presumably had no clear guidelines for dealing with the situation. I would like to think that BWF has evolved into a more professional and responsible organisation with clear policies and the ability to enforce those policies.

It's one thing to want to come across as compassionate and understand and all of that, which at a personal level even I wold love to endorse. It is something else for an International organisation to set in stone rules and regulations that are porous, because this just invites trouble sooner or later.

BWF has learnt nothing yet if it does not understand the value of deterrent punishment. Everyone will cry and scream but will quickly settle down because no one in their right mind will want to invite that punishment.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default some interesting points in the full article

Badminton goes bad

Yvonne Bohwongprasert
    July 30, 2013

http://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/o...inton-goes-bad

Excerpts:

...The question is whether young athletes have any national pride left. Could those responsible for grooming them not only focus on honing their talents but also prepare them to take responsibility for and...

...Veteran French sports photographer Raphael Sachetat, who admires Thai badminton players, said the brawl took him by surprise because he always found Thais to be polite and graceful athletes. His take on the issue_hire a mental...

...With an increased number of badminton players today, an example has to be set so future athletes know the ramifications of such behaviour.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally I agree with the lighter suspensions (6 months or so). While I was shocked to see fighting in a badminton tournament I disagree that this is much of a scandal. It gave those prone to gossip something to talk about and that's about it. The buzz has already faded and in six months nobody is going to remember what happened between two second rate players at some obscure tournament. I don't see much of a scandal and certainly nothing damaging to the game on anything close to the scale of what happened at the Olympics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
    Badminton goes bad
    LOL, yup two players from a second tier country in some third rate tournament have a slapfest and whole sport is going down the toilet. I guess we'll ignore the cheating and match fixing during the Olympic qualifier process and the Olympic scandal itself. This "writer" is basically screaming about some kid pissing in the Ganges.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thunder.tw View Post
    LOL, yup two players from a second tier country in some third rate tournament have a slapfest and whole sport is going down the toilet.
    I think you've entirely missed the point this writer was attempting to make. It wasn't so much about the slapfest itself, as how it was allowed to happen, the leadup, the absence of a system that identifies and deals with the signs of such behaviour, and that educates and supports pro players on how to deal with their issues on and off-court.

Most associations claim they have all such support structures in place, but its a very moot point as to how efficient and present those structures are, and how well they in turn are integrated into the enforcement policies of the association.

I guess we'll ignore the cheating and match fixing during the Olympic qualifier process and the Olympic scandal itself. This "writer" is basically screaming about some kid pissing in the Ganges.
    LOL! No, lets not ignore the cheating and fixing of Olympic proportions! BWF left the "backdoor" open to allow the entire fiasco -have they shut it? What is BWF going to do about the slapfest? Was the "punishment" provided by BWF and for that matter, some of the NAs involved any more than a slap on the wrist? It all boils down to whether the authorities in question have their priorities in order and if they have the desire and resources available to enforce any rules they make -and how effective those rules actually are.

A 3-month ban? That's more like an unexpected holiday! Sooner or later all associations and players are going to find ways to make things even more interesting than just a slapfest.

I'm willing to bet you, that illegal betting is already into badminton in some parts of the world, and they are gonna get even more organised with the leagues gaining momentum. Is anyone even thinking of pre-empting that situation???

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast