User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow... sounds more like a badminton racquet demo night rather than a BF meeting! Maybe all the racquet company representives should get together on this and organize this next meeting!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by cappy75
    I believe one of the VRC coaching staff heads the North American branch of Victor so I am sure if anyone has an issue with it, he might.
    Hahaha...Good old Calvin! Definitely, he would have a henia if we show up and started demo'ing!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please search

"Playing in Vancouver (BC) During Xmas2003"

I know I am starting a new thread, only because when Xmas is over, the above thread will be dead.

(I did say these court opportunities are last-minute)
    Last edited by Break-My-String; 12-19-2003 at 01:35 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by badrad
    The problem with the VRC is for potentially such a large group, there will be complaints from other members. Sundays are unpredictable, but usually afternoons are packed, and late evenings are as well if the main adult groups show up.
    I got flack last time, but luckily there were less members that night so it wasn't that bad, but one of the regular members did mention it to the admin.
    I guessed that did it. I went tonight to play and there is actually a table set up with a lady checking membership ID and that all guests are signed in and paid too. I got there around 9pm and I'm not sure how long the table was manned.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the table security idea had been discussed over the summer, long before our little get together. there was originally thought to hire security guards for the night time, as many of the offenders will come late in the night, and use the facilities. actually most of the culprits are often ex-club members who take advantage of relationships to get free playing time. it has also become quite a problem on weekends, where guests outnumber members. but as long as guests pay, there really shouldn't be an issue, it's when they don't, it is an issue.

putting it bluntly, there are a lot of deadbeats that treat the club as public community and also try to sneak in as often as they can. as paying club members, we lose out since the membership we pay, and guest fees are used to pay for running the facility, maintenance and utilities. not only do deadbeats take our court time, they also incur costs such as hot water heating and lighting.
    Last edited by badrad; 12-28-2003 at 04:54 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I might be bringing a third tomorrow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

badrad, over here, in private clubs, if the freeloader is traced back to the member who let him in for free(easy task), that member get 1 warning at best, most clubs just de-member (for life) the violator on the spot with no refund. It is in the agreement that all members have signed. I dare any member would risk this penalty for saving 10$ for his friend. If that is not enough, being labelled as a co-cheater would make him a disgrace among the badminton circle. Sure make potential cheaters to think twice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

btw, yazuka will chop off pinky as first warning for betrayal. Don't know what big circle & triads would do tho.
    Without the pinky, smashes will be much less effective
    Last edited by cooler; 12-28-2003 at 04:56 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by cooler
    btw, yazuka will chop off pinky as first warning for betrayal. Don't know what big circle & triads would do tho.
    Without the pinky, smashes will be much less effective
    hmm, not sure....
    mafia: sleep with the fishes.
    cuban: cuban necktie
    cartel: car bomb
    vietnamese: machine gun in pho noodle restaurant
    triads: hacked with watermelon knives?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmm, not sure....
    mafia: sleep with the fishes.
    cuban: cuban necktie
    cartel: car bomb
    vietnamese: machine gun in pho noodle restaurant
    triads: hacked with watermelon knives?
    hahaha...I think for the badminton mafia/triads, we are looking at a version of the Cuban necktie as in Racquet Necktie!!!

I think that's one of the disadvantage of a 24x7 club in that it is very difficult to monitor access after prime hours.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

actually they can get more control of the club entry in the late hours if there was a better id recognition than the pass-key. the passkey has no id so there is no tracking ability of the key. it's more than simple enough using any rfid tag or even low tech barcode or magstripe cards will work.

making the lights controlled by user tag will also help with accounting and tracking. this way, energy can be better managed, and have some conditions for it's use.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

actually they can get more control of the club entry in the late hours if there was a better id recognition than the pass-key. the passkey has no id so there is no tracking ability of the key. it's more than simple enough using any rfid tag or even low tech barcode or magstripe cards will work.

making the lights controlled by user tag will also help with accounting and tracking. this way, energy can be better managed, and have some conditions for it's use.
    Yeah but that still doesn't stop non-paying guests coming in with members after hours unless the facility is willing to invest in video monitoring (equipment and personnel).

Automatic shut-off for the lights could work if after activation with user tag, they will stay on if there is still movement on courts but if it is on timer after activation, then you could end up playing in the dark at crucial points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default wow...good ol days...

Just reading Calvin's name brought back so many memories. Anyone here play at the VRC with some of the old original crew....Ong sisters (moira, elma), Billy Cheung, Morgan and Skyler Vanheukulum, Chu brothers (Toby and Casey), Silvesta Ng....etc.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Yipom,

Were you at Burnaby South last Saturday morning? I went there for the first time and was quite impressed with the facility. Lighting was alright but half side of the courts facing the morning sun gets the sun in the backcourts. Flooring is decent. Six courts going with three more possible if there's more drop-ins.

Unfortunately, there's not alot of good players there. Some of the players from the school team were there though, I would have left if not for them. Court rotations are not consistent cuz you could find newbie drop-ins hogging the courts playing singles since nobody bothered with them. They only get off when the guy in charge checks in. Even after he exasperatingly requested no singles and tried to get rotation going, nobody bothered since no-one wants to play with newbies. All two hours to play and all I got was 4 games to show for.

What they need is better organization... get a baddy club come in and rent the place for that time. But it's not possible as I understand that the school opens the baddy courts to the public only on Saturdays.

Even though it's within walking distance from my home, I don't think I will be going back there anytime soon. I would only head out there if I get a full set of players for doubles (seems that's what the good players did... they basically played among themselves), otherwise it's not really worth it.

Originally posted by Yipom
    And on Saturday I also go and Play At Burnaby South Secondary, with a $1.85 drop it from 12:00 -2:30 6 to 9 courts depending on the amount of people that show up. Bby South are where More Strong players show up to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Cappy. Burnaby South is the humongous highschool along Rumble, right? It's actually pretty close to where I am, about a 15 min drive. So if you need a body to go with you, just lemme know a few days earlier and I'll see if I can fit some baddy into my schedule.

-Rick

RICHMOND BC...ne hot girls from richmond that plays badminton pm me ~_^
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Traum
    Hey Cappy. Burnaby South is the humongous highschool along Rumble, right? It's actually pretty close to where I am, about a 15 min drive. So if you need a body to go with you, just lemme know a few days earlier and I'll see if I can fit some baddy into my schedule.

-Rick
    Hey Traum, you live in a pretty good spot...almost any badminton facility is around 10-15 min drive for you :P....is the burnaby south dropin on sundays? I might be able to come.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rick- I will definitely keep you in mind when I do pick up the motivation to walk 2 blocks for slow games. Kiddings aside, thank you for the offer!

Smashingbird- nah, it's just saturday afternoon (12pm-2:30pm). It's a highschool, so facility priority goes to the students and Sundays are closed unless they wanna pay custodial staff overtime to keep it open. I think drop-in fee is $4.50. Student rate is $2.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast