Doubles racket advice for returning advanced player

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Bikiro, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Bikiro

Bikiro New Member

I need help choosing a new Yonex racket; it's my favorite brand. I broke my arcsaber 7 couple years ago and have been using my friend's extra Voltric 70.

My opinion of the Vt 70 racket is that it generates alot of power for my clears and smashes but I'm alot slower from mid-court forward because of the head heaviness. (and plus I'm older now :()

I'm looking for a racket that's similar to the arcsaber 7 but with new technologies and preferably a medium or stiff shaft.

2. mms6a

mms6a Regular Member

Smasher
    Arc11 is a good bet.

3. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    If you really like Arcsaber7, why don't you buy Arcsaber 7 again ? There are 2 color now, silver/Yellow which the old color, and Red/White the new one.

4. swunk

swunk Regular Member

i've tried, owned and own a decent amount of yonex "control" rackets like arc7, arc10, arc11
    and my advice is - go for Victor, like bslyd or bs12 (haven't tried the meteor series, so would say nothing about them)
    and the power - it's in the hand, not in the racket.

5. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    It sounds like you're after a fast manoeuvring racquet without losing too much smashing power. This is similar to my preference, but I do prefer racquets that are forgiving too.

The Arc 10 is not forgiving, in fact I personally don't think it's a good racquet at all particularly given the price. If you have immaculate timing and can get used to the small and short sweetspot, it is ok. Otherwise you may find it a bit gutless.

The Arc8DX is a brilliant all round racquet but it is quite stiff, which may not be suitable for you. This is one of my favourite racquets as its fast for defence but still retains some decent power. Best of all, it is very forgiving, making it one of the best defense racquets I have.

The ArcZS is also another one that I would suggest trying. It will take some getting used to as it is very fast swinging. It has a slightly smaller head, but to be honest it isn't noticeable during play. It has a stiff shaft, but because it is a little longer, it flexes more and so gives the impression it is medium flex. It is not short on power either, if you can master it, there is tonnes of it. It has a little head weight, not as head heavy as VT70, but is probably towards the top end of the "even balance" band.

Victor BS12 - This is another great all-rounder. Fast, medium flex and even balanced. I prefer the BS10, which is the same but a little stiffer. I also have a BSLYD which is a great racquet, although it is head heavy. So probably isn't suitable for you. The Bravesword range do give a different feel to Yonex racquets in that they are a bit more communicative and a bit more vibration.

Your best bet is to try these racquets yourself and see if they suit you.

6. concretemad

concretemad Regular Member

engineer
    [MENTION=4876]R20190[/MENTION], I have very similar opinion with you regarding arcs10 and arcs8dx. if u were to choose one (in your best play day) against better opponents from arcszs, bslyd and bs12, which one will u pick?

7. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    that's the first thing that came to my mind as soon as i was done reading OP's post. even balance, a bit faster. second would be the arc8dx. i think you can handle it since you're an advance player and if it requires time to adjust, i think that's ok, again, because you're an advance player.

8. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    Nice one concretemad. The racket that you will choose among all of your rackets in the bag when you head up for an important game is a racket that you truly familiar with and enjoy playing the most. Like me, it will always be N90, for now at least.

9. Bikiro

Bikiro New Member

Thanks I'll take these suggestions and test out these rackets from the store first!

10. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    The 8dx is my current racket, everytime I look at something newer or different I never think that anything can be as good.

11. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

If u are looking for new rackets w/ new technologies, you'll be dissappointed. There is nothing much REAL offered by the manufacturers for the past 10 years. The pros and badminton addicts still like n admire old rackets in early 2000 such as CAB20, AT700, AT800...etc.

I started to learn badminton in 1978 using wooden racket w/ steel shaft. In 1981 played competitively in Hischool.Took a long break in late 1990's until 2009 pick up the game again. In the past 4-5 years have gone through like 20+ rackets n now decided to stop trying new rackets. Now playing veteran doubles using old color Blue AT300 4U or 3U.

My advice is buy another ARC7 but make sure it feels similar to yr old one. Often times even Yonex quality differs as they change colors or versions. My friend bought the same type after he broke his 1st one in 3-4 years time found out that his new one feels quite different from his old one. Dissappointed he ended up selling it n spent a lot more money for other new racket.

12. visor

visor Regular Member

You play with plastic, so you need some head weight. Don't go too head light like BS12 or NR series.

Arc 9, 11 would be the natural progression for you if you're advanced and want to go stiffer.

13. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer

Good question. It's one I've asked myself on a number of occasions.

Since buying my first 8DX I've bought a number of other racquets in searching for that "something extra" above and beyond the 8DX… including some of the racquets I mentioned above.

Everybody has their own perception of a best "all-rounder" racquet for their game. For me, that has unquestionably been the 8DX.

However being an all-rounder doesn't mean it excels in all departments, but seems to do everything to a very good standard. Perhaps it's only slight weakness is in the ease of extracting full power. The power is there, but it's not as easy to tap into as other racquets. I need to swing a little faster compared to say my LYD.

If I may turn your question around a little... if you had asked "what racquet I would turn to if I was playing badly and having an off-day?" I would certainly say the 8DX. It has been the most dependable and faithful ally I have.

But to answer your original question, when playing my best against better players (doubles), I would use either the 8DX or the BSLYD.

A lot depends on who I partner and who I'm playing against. Generally, against players that have a huge smash and smash everything I’d probably stick with my 8DX as it is so good in defence and short fast exchanges.

Against clever players who prefer placement over power I may use my LYD as it's the racquet that gives me great feel and the most rear court power but the head weight makes it slightly slower in defence than the other two.

I’d like to reserve judgement on the BS10 for the moment as I’ve not had it long enough to form a complete opinion on it. But from my experience of it so far, this is definitely the fastest racquet I have. Great for flat play and if I partner a strong rear court player where I am able to counterattack quickly. Swinging this racquet the first few times, it makes you feel that in defence, nothing will get past you. I’m beginning to think this may be the racquet to replace my LYD. As I have the TW version, it’s a little softer than the LYD so I may look at getting the European one which is stiffer. Whether it is as good as the 8DX remains to be seen though.

Playing against better players, I probably wouldn’t be using my ArcZS or the BS12. Both are excellent racquets, but for me neither are repulsive enough for short fast exchanges. Stiffer versions of both would be better imo.

The 8DX is my no.1 choice for serious games and is the only racquet I find myself repeatedly going back to. It seems the 8DX is quite sensitive to string type and plays quite differently with different strings, more so than other racquets. I'm currently playing with NBG99 at 30lb which seems pretty good.

14. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    So your main rackets are the 8DX and LYD? Interesting as I use the 8DX and I'm looking to get a LYD also. Is the LYD easier to get power from?

15. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Only yourself will know which racket is best for you.

You can see that so many world class players using different rackets with different brands. How do you judge who is the best smasher or player or which racket is best? ;)

16. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Yes, at the moment the 8DX and LYD are my main racquets. I personally find the LYD very easy to get power from but I've read that some people find it difficult. So it's really down to you. If you don't find the 8DX too stiff, then the stiff LYD shaft should be fine for you too.

The LYD is quite head heavy though which coupled with the fast frame makes it great for smashing. Mine had a strung BP of about 310mm whereas my 8DX was 298mm strung - so be warned if you don't like HH racquets!

I'm using BG80P on my LYD which seems to be a great combination, although the tension is starting to go now.

If you get the opportunity, try the BS10 too.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that when I bought my BS10, I was given a range of BPs for the same racquet of up to 7mm difference. So they do vary a bit!

#16 R20190, Jul 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  17. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    I'm physically very powerful and can smash as hard as anyone at our club even with the 8DX, it can be very tiring though.

18. concretemad

engineer
    [MENTION=4876]R20190[/MENTION], thanks for your elaborate reply. i was tryng to ask which racket out of bslyd, arcszs and bs12 will you go for when you are in your best form. I found from your experience in yy arcs series seems to match mine. and your feel on the three may match mine too. so i take your answer to be bslyd.

19. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Yes, if it can only be one of the three above. For me, on my best form, it would be the LYD definitely.

However, I have to say the LYD is not for everyone. I have let my friends try it and they find it too head heavy for short wristy backhand strokes. Admittedly I concur to a small extent, it's not excessively headheavy but you can feel it. I'm going to try my BS10 properly this week, if you're interested, I can report back.

20. concretemad

engineer
    I have the bs 10 wit me. It's good but it's not as good for me as my others goto rac. Defense superb. Power average. Very very fast head. Maybe u can compare it wit lyd, thanks. But for me, I won't pick it up over arc 8dx.