User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 18 to 30 of 30
  1. #18
    Regular Member craigandy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,857
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CantSmashThis View Post
    Sorry, I never got to read the article.

    Now that you have, do you have any insight into why Kim Her that is obviously clued up, would suggest china could have an influence in making the shuttles "slow"?
    "they may just use it" he said.

    Is it possible that the national association will speak to the shuttlecock company and get them to make all 3 speeds on the slow side
    Pretty big conspiracy but it is all I have, unless of course Kim her is just talking rubbish or was reported wrongly.

  2. #19
    Regular Member craigandy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,857
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CantSmashThis View Post
    Sorry, I never got to read the article.

    Now that you have, do you have any insight into why Kim Her that is obviously clued up, would suggest china could have an influence in making the shuttles "slow"?
    "they may just use it" he said.

    Is it possible that the national association will speak to the shuttlecock company and get them to make all 3 on the slow side
    Pretty big conspiracy but it is all I have

  3. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    India
    Posts
    5,509
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    How they differenctiate slow vs medium speed shuttles. Is there any standard to check that?? How a player can differentiate easily as it was said they were allowed to check the speed??
    Last edited by scorpion1; 07-25-2013 at 11:02 PM.

  4. #21
    Moderator cobalt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Arrakis
    Posts
    8,903
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scorpion1 View Post
    How they differenctiate slow vs medium speed shuttles. Is there any standard to check that?? How a player can differentiate easily as it was said they were allowed to check the speed??
    http://www.bwfbadminton.org/file.aspx?id=464370&dl=1

    General Competition REgulations, 26.10
    26.10 Shuttles
    26.10.1 One brand of BWF approved shuttle only must be adopted for exclusive use during any tournament and the name of this brand must be advertised in the prospectus.
    26.10.2 No rationing of shuttles per match must be allowed, and all shuttles used must be a charge against the tournament and not against the players concerned.


    Laws of Badminton, 3
    http://www.bwfbadminton.org/file_dow...d=422701&tid=1

    The shuttle shall be hit at an upward angle and in a direction parallelto the side lines.3.2 A shuttle of correct speed will land not less than 530 mm and not more than 990 mm short of theother back boundary line as in Diagram B.

    DIAGRAM B
    Name:  test-shuttle-speed.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  81.4 KB

  5. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    NorCal, United States
    Posts
    930
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Technically, before a match, usually the player is not allowed to test it. It's already done beforehand by the referee. Maybe if the tournament goes later in the day and the weather changes quite a bit.

    Edit: By test, I mean do the correct procedure in testing the shuttle for speed. They can test a serve and etc.

  6. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    India
    Posts
    5,509
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Which shuttle will be selected to play on court (slow, medium or fast)?? who will decide it?? I think both the players need to come to a compromise for a particular type of shuttle to be selected. Referee will play a role in this??

  7. #24
    Moderator cobalt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Arrakis
    Posts
    8,903
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    ^ There is no need for "compromise". The type of shuttle that can comply with Laws of Badminton 3 will be the one selected.

    Laws of Badminton, 3
    http://www.bwfbadminton.org/file_dow...d=422701&tid=1

    The shuttle shall be hit at an upward angle and in a direction parallelto the side lines.3.2 A shuttle of correct speed will land not less than 530 mm and not more than 990 mm short of the other back boundary line as in Diagram B.

  8. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    647
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    When I was at the German Open last year I saw the referee letting a player test the shuttles just before the matches began. I think this is normal procedure, maybe they also test the shuttles again in the middle of the day to compensate the changing conditions.

  9. #26
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    India
    Posts
    5,509
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
    ^ There is no need for "compromise". The type of shuttle that can comply with Laws of Badminton 3 will be the one selected.

    Laws of Badminton, 3
    http://www.bwfbadminton.org/file_dow...d=422701&tid=1

    The shuttle shall be hit at an upward angle and in a direction parallelto the side lines.3.2 A shuttle of correct speed will land not less than 530 mm and not more than 990 mm short of the other back boundary line as in Diagram B.
    Thanks for your information. Still i have one last and final doubt about it. If a shuttle that comply with the laws of badminton 3 will be selected, which type of shuttle will be selected. I mean one player may want 'slow' type of shuttles. And one may want 'fast' type of shuttles. In that case, which one is selected and how??

  10. #27
    Regular Member craigandy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,857
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scorpion1 View Post
    Thanks for your information. Still i have one last and final doubt about it. If a shuttle that comply with the laws of badminton 3 will be selected, which type of shuttle will be selected. I mean one player may want 'slow' type of shuttles. And one may want 'fast' type of shuttles. In that case, which one is selected and how??
    The players don't decide in a big tournament (the tournament ref does) they play with what they are given, They can appeal to the umpire during a game and would have to prove that they are totally the wrong speed(outwith the boundary) then the umpire could call for new speed shuttles and would just go to the next speed up or down.


    Still puzzled about this Kim Her assumption anybody???
    Last edited by craigandy; 07-29-2013 at 11:44 AM.

  11. #28
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    India
    Posts
    5,509
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by craigandy View Post
    The players don't decide in a big tournament (the tournament ref does) they play with what they are given, They can appeal to the umpire during a game and would have to prove that they are totally the wrong speed(outwith the boundary) then the umpire could call for new speed shuttles and would just go to the next speed up or down.


    Still puzzled about this Kim Her assumption anybody???
    Thanks ....

  12. #29
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    KL, MY
    Posts
    21
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I would just like to say, during the England-Denmark match at the europeans this year, they actually do change the shuttle speeds right at the start of the match due to the players complaints. It requires proof that both pairings are unhappy with the length of shot of the shuttle as well as the tournament referee to agree to this.

  13. #30
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    NorCal, United States
    Posts
    930
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    And the tournaments must be using shuttles that are approved by the BWF. Here's the list of how a shuttle qualifies:

    http://www.bwfbadminton.org/file.aspx?id=473031&dl=1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •