Has anyone tried these base clamps? Are they any good?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by TheNotoriousLIG, Jul 23, 2013.

1. TheNotoriousLIG

TheNotoriousLIG Regular Member

Student
    Hi guys, I was wondering if any of you have tried these base clamps before and if so, are they any good? http://www.racquetdepot.co.uk/pros-pro-swivel-clamp-base-and-bar-v2/

I need a replacement for the Eagnas stock ones on my machine (the same as the ones on the eagnas 810/910) as they constantly need readjusting, sometimes as many as 3/4 times during stringing! Of course this is far from ideal so I'm hoping I can get some advice here for replacements. Are there any others I should look at? I plan on buying the watdon dual clamps in the nearish future so ideally the replacement base clamps would be compatible with them.

Thanks

2. expert-stringer

expert-stringer Regular Member

I still have the original clamp bases that came with the Pro's Pro stringing machine I purchased (those are spring assisted) but a friend of mine upgraded, I think in June, to the one's you are looking at (version 2) from clamp bases he had had for about 10 years. They have the same specifications but apparently the V2 has CNC parts which are more durable. Plus, they don't have to be tightened every so often with the Allen key! So, they look pretty good and decent.

I have these tennis clamps which are going strong. They are all 12mm and so the compatibility is fine with any of the Pro's Pro clamp bases. Eagnas and Pro's Pro seem to have very identical specifications.

3. TheNotoriousLIG

Student
    Yh, its the tightening with the allen key and tightening the washer type thing at the bottom so much that is driving me nutty so that sounds good. Hopefully I can get some more information about slippage, durability and the like as well. Thanks for the information.

4. expert-stringer

expert-stringer Regular Member

I spoke to the friend that has those V2 clamp bases earlier today and brought up the clamp bases as I've become quite interested in them myself!

The silver bar is now rougher, instead of smooth, to reduce slippage to just about zero. The clamps fit more snugly in the clamp base spigot too. You just keep turning the lever until it locks and you never need to tighten with an Allen Key.

Anyway, hope that helps.

5. TheNotoriousLIG

Student
    I'm gonna start saving for a pair of them and some Watdon dual clamps then and hopefully that will finally sort out my slippage issues. The constant readjustment even during a string job is very frustrating and it adds a lot of time to my string jobs.

6. TheNotoriousLIG

Student

#6 TheNotoriousLIG, Aug 28, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  7. xZhongCheng

xZhongCheng Regular Member

Systems Analyst
    I had purchase these in hoping to upgrade my Prince Neos 1000. Unfortunately, the swivels are alot bigger than i expected... so i gotta do alot of hacking...

8. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Those come as standard on some of the cheaper machines. They aren't spring-assisted, so they're more work.

Before you do that, though, you might want to disassemble the clamps on your current machine and add some Loctite to the adjuster grub screw - that does wonders for holding the calibration.

9. Udonming

Udonming Regular Member