Transition between birdie types.

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by tropicalmouse, Dec 16, 2003.

1. tropicalmouse

tropicalmouse Regular Member

Student
    If I learn how to control plastic, will that mean using feathered birdies in the future will be even easier for me?

Does using one over the other hamper your ability to improve your badminton skills?

#1 tropicalmouse, Dec 16, 2003
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2003
  2. AzNbOi2747

AzNbOi2747 Regular Member

Student
    it is easier to control but requires more accuracy and timing to hit it with a snap... plus the feather has more air resistance so it goes a bit slower and requires more power... but i love playing with feather, plastic is to show off your smash if you smash weak:p

3. jayes

jayes Regular Member

Badminton specialty selling strings, grips, shuttl
    It requires different technique to play either of them. Personally I've played both and I don't find any difficulty switching immediately between them, from one game to the next one. However, if you are aiming to play in a tournament, I would suggest you play with feathered birdies more than plastic birdies.

Cheers.

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I think the major difference is the flying pattern and the accuracy. A feather bird in good condition should fly more consistent, and require more work on the shot accuracy, especially like the net shots, etc.

5. cheongsa

cheongsa Regular Member

Assistant Professor
    ... but can one do a tumble net shot with a plastic shuttle?

6. Nitemeister

Nitemeister Regular Member

Digital Film/Finance
    sure doing a tumble shot with a plastic birdie is possible.. Personally, i've played with feather till i was 18, so for about 14 years, and now in canada, it's more plastic usage, which is ok but i've always preferred feather. It's more of a traditionalist feel, and sounds terrific with a smash!

7. Break-My-String

Break-My-String Regular Member

The flight path & feel of a plastic vs feather shuttle is slightly different and you need to consciously remind yourself which type you are using and what shot is being attempted.

The feather shuttle decelerate at a faster rate, thus in a clear, the arc is smaller.

In a smash, plastic tends to stay crumpled thus it flys like a rocket.

In feather netshots, you need greater control & finesse in stroking the shuttle in order to keep it low & tight to the net.

That's why when you see plastic players switch over to feather, they keep on hitting the rim on clears. On smashes, the (plastic shuttle) player will swing above the feather shuttle. The netshots are way too high above the net (when he finally gets it over the net).

What I am saying is, when you are starting out, try to stick to one type of shuttle for each session and don't mix it up between games. For me, when I know the other players cannot afford feather or they are intermediate players, I will use plastic. When I get together with my advanced players, feathers is a must!

8. tropicalmouse

tropicalmouse Regular Member

Student
    Thanks for the input. I WOULD like to use feathered birdies but they are very expensive and my school supplies them in plastic only.