Own Up Time !!!

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Dill, Dec 17, 2003.

1. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    Now the year has almost come to a close it's time for us all to admit to our most embarrising moment on court this year, come on spit it out, what do our community keeping to themselvs and don't want to repeat.

I know there are other simmilar threads but want one specifically for the year ending, I shall lead by example:

I got beat 21-0 in a competition at the weekend by a crap player!!

I have played ex-internationalists and current national squad members and have never gotten grannied (what we call a 15-0 defeat) before.

I had to hang my head in shame especially as a table dance was prommised after I won the competition because I came second last time.

Now I am truly humbled, but hopefully not for long. ;)

2. Aleik

Aleik Regular Member

Let's not get encumbered by detail...(is the taxma
    I know someone who was so angry with himself he swished his raquet so hard it slipped out of his hand and hit a lady on another court. Oh, and I broke a raquet shaft last year against my knee and the head flew to the other end of the hall (luckily at foot level, not eye-level).

:S

3. jayes

jayes Regular Member

Badminton specialty selling strings, grips, shuttl
    Typo? Don't you mean 15-0 instead?

A proud person, eh? ;) Personally I learn both in defeat and victory. Both I would always hang my head high. When I am defeated, it shows that there is still room for improvement and reminded me that I am still human. To me victory also reminded me that I can be defeated in another day, either by the same person or different one; thus encourages me to play my best at all time.

Cheers. :)

4. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    I got beaten 15-0 before. It happens! I called it ice cream coz m cold and i'm being creamed by my opponent. But i do also gave pll some ice cream of my own before :)

5. Dill

Dill Regular Member

No Ants I mean one game to 21 instead of three to 15, in certain tournaments we play to 21 to save time and energy instead of playing what may be the best of three.

And even in a social setting you give your opponent 2 points as a courtesy, it's an unwritten rule of play. I dont mind this as much but 21-0, come on I'm not that bad.

6. ants

ants Regular Member

Oh man 21-0!! Thats bad.. something must have happened that day man. I can't imagine being trashed 21-0.

7. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Thanks for the confidence boost :D

8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    The 0-15 blow out is not quite a news for myself, though. In my "lengendary" career, many times I've been defeated badly, but lucky enough, I did not give up, yet.

Even these days, if I got such a luck to meet the pros in tourny, things like 0:15 or 1:15 still happens once a while, but I was more excited of taking pics with them, rather than head down. My friends used to joke about how "shameless" I could be. But, hey, what I should do? Cry like a baby? :D

9. Traum

Traum Regular Member

I got owned time and again this year by chihong's smashes. One time I made the mistake of returning a weak clear to him, and I knew I was in for a bullet aiming right at me. As I duck and try to avoid getting hit, the shuttle came down at a very steep angle towards me, hitting me at the top of my head/skull and bounced off with a loud popping sound. I have a hard head so I hardly felt anything (all I knew about was the pop that came out of nowhere), but according to my friends, it was pretty comical and everyone was laughing their heads off.

-Rick

10. Pointfore.Ca

Pointfore.Ca Regular Member

Equipment Reseller
    I've been hit many many times with the shuttle but the worse was probably when the cork hit me. Just the cork, no nylon. Because the smash was hit so poorly that the cork came flying off at my head and I was still watching the nylon on the other side of the court. :D

11. Bor98

Bor98 Regular Member

Yes...those 15-0 scores, I thought I will never get that ever since my bro beat me when I first started playing badminton ( that was last century!) , but it happen again to me in a tournament 15 zip in two sets against a never-say-die ex-national player. I felt like puking up and breaking all my racquets. Speaking about the shuttle going boink on your head, I once went for a dab against a floating drop but missed it completely (never take your eyes off the shuttle!!!) and the shuttle boink off my head and over the net. Needless to say my shot was unreturnable!:D :D :eek: :eek: :D
    That is why I luv Badminton!!

12. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

One of my early attempts at the pinky grip resulted in me doing a high defensive clear of my racquet rather than the shuttle. Fortunately, my opponent caught the racquet. :D

13. wiers289

wiers289 Regular Member

mechanic
    Last week I played a mixed double in which our side was a lot better. To keep the game going, it wasn't in competition, I kept my smashes to a minimum. But at our last point I just had to let it all out. I smashed with all power I had in me, and nearly decked my female opponent. She ducked and the shuttle hit her head with the same hilarious popping sound as mentioned above. At first I nearly got tears to my eyes from laughter, but when I was able to stand up straight again, she was still rubbing the top front of her head and I really felt bad. I met her again two days later and she had a blue spot, more than an inch across. At this time I was quite embarressed, and apologised to her again. ( I already did so after hitting her).

Happy Holidays and the best sportive wishes for 2004.

Joop

#13 wiers289, Dec 18, 2003
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2003
  14. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    Recently playing a game I slipped when stretching for the shuttle at the net and my racquet flew to the next court. Plus the fact that I fell flat on my face... I rarely ever fall down when I'm playing badminton. And the person I was playing against was laughing... :rolleyes:

Of course... the incident when my friend told me a joke and my mouth was full of water... I call that showers of blessing. My friend called it "EEWW!!(The water DID land on her, can't blame her :D)" But that wasn't exactly on the court, just at the benches. So it's not counted I guess.

15. mindfields

mindfields Regular Member

Playing badminton at my usual club calling one of the players Charles, Only remembered at the end of the evening his names Julian. . . . .
    I've only been at the club 2 years. . . :eek:

16. ants

ants Regular Member

That was once my doubles partner going for a smash.. instead of smashing the shuttle to the opponent.. the ball went straight to my backside. It felt like i got a spanking!
    :D

17. peyter

peyter Regular Member

Lecturer
    I took part in an intra staff games competition. Lost a keenly contested tug-of-war...
    which resulted in REALLY sore arms.
    During warm up for the following baddy game, I went for a smash even though I couldnt grip the racket properly...to my horror my Aerotus 77 flew across the court in front of my colleagues!
    The only good thing about this is that the racket didnt break!
    :D