Choosing a new racquet - stiffness vs flexibility and HH vs HL

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by pikachu26134, Jul 26, 2013.

1. pikachu26134

pikachu26134 Regular Member

Student
    Hello all,
    Recently, a racquet of mine broke and i need to replace it, but I feel I may want something different.
    The victor BS12 broke, which I found to be a good racquet with reasonable whip and manoeuvrability. My other racquet is the LN N50-ii which I find to be too slow in following through (too much whiplash action).
    The question is, should my new racquet be stiff or flexible? HH or HL?
    i enjoy head heaviness because I like the power generated and I use a lot of wrist in smashes and clears (not so much in drives). But I'm not so sure about stiffness. I feel it's a little bit difficult defending sometimes and I would also like more penetrating drives.
    if it helps, I'm 16, 6feet tall, quite strongly built, and currently a regional representative player with a history for singles play.
    thank you

2. visor

visor Regular Member

You may want to try the TK8000. Similar in whipping as BS12. But more solid hitting.
    Perfect for singles. @Elisha should be able to help you.

#2 visor, Jul 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  3. Elisha

Elisha Regular Member

My Tapatalk went ding on the mention of my name....
    Anyway to the TK8k, coming from the BS12, you may find the TK8K slightly more flexible because it is head heavier. But it has a lot of whip and the smashing angles are consistent. If you want something stiffer and ever so slightly head heavier, the Legend II is the one to look for which is also part of the Thruster K family.
    I find the TK8k very easy to generate power with, however, for explosiveness at the net, I have to give it to the Legend II. I believe it is the stiffer nature of the shaft!
    I also do find a smash block more controlled with a stiffer shaft meaning I can send it back tight to the net as opposed to mid court.
    If you want to try something different that has similar qualities as both of them, I find that the Adidas AdiPower Pro to be a great choice. I'm waiting on the Babolat X-Feel Blast to arrive which I feel would probably play like a stiffer, slower version of the BS12 but hopefully would surprise me and play like a Meteor instead!
    If you want to be pleasantly surprised for a small budget, [MENTION=57143]visor[/MENTION] would also agree on this...give the XP70 a try!

4. pikachu26134

Student
    Thanks for that Visor and Elisha. I've never tried the TK8000, but it sounds very similar to BS12. I was looking at a VT70 and VT80, both of which felt nice with the VT80 being a little better for clears and smashes. How do you think the VT80 compares to TK8000? (I'm obviously not even going to bother with VTZF or N90 as I don't yet have fully developed muscles etc)

5. Elisha

Elisha Regular Member

To me the Vt-80 feels similar to the TK8k in feel. However the VT-80 is slower in defense and not as lively.

6. gomezera

gomezera New Member

i think so,Thanks for that Visor and Elisha. I've never tried the TK8000 [​IMG]

7. Mendell

Mendell Regular Member

I feel that the problem with the X-Feel range (I have an XF Power) is its super big/non aero frame which slows the racket. Plus the fact that it really has a different feeling from Victor rackets.

8. Elisha

Elisha Regular Member

I prefer box frame anyway. I've just been curious about the Babolats for a while.

9. Jacob mm

Jacob mm Regular Member

School
    The XP70 would be a good choice. You can just pick the one you think would feel good. :)

10. visor

visor Regular Member

[MENTION=92694]Mendell[/MENTION]
    Have you considered the XP series from RKEP? They're both fast and powerful, being hybrid of MX and BS aero frames, and have the same feel of those Victor rackets.

11. Mendell

Mendell Regular Member

Yes I've thought about these rackets and I really like the idea. I'm just waiting to see if a new batch comes with higher BP. Plus the fact that I am currently having an increasing amount of rackets ;-) (thx to you btw). Doesn't the n-forze line from Forza come with the same kind of frame? [HR][/HR]@ Elisha: My lining TP100C has a box frame and I really like the racket. But it is definitely thinner than babolat's frame. It would be interesting to read a comparision betwee your TKs and the XF Blast on that matter.

12. Jacob mm

Jacob mm Regular Member

School
    I have just asked Eric, he has no plans of more head-heavy ones :)

13. Elisha

Elisha Regular Member

Just get the lightest one with 300mm BP and add some Victor Powerizer to it. Eric sells those as well.

14. pikachu26134

Student
    I'll probably go for a VT 80. I play both singles and doubles equally, but haven't got fantastic defence so 3u or 4u?