Wrist strengthening exercises

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Brett, Apr 12, 2001.

1. Brett

Brett Regular Member

I recently started doing some wrist exercises (flexing my racquet 180 degrees from horizontal forward to horizontal back, 200 times). I noticed after starting that my wrist is creaking with each movement - it sounds like knuckle cracking, but at a higher pitch and only about 1/3 or 1/4 the volume of a cracked knuckle. Should I have any concerns about this? Should I modify this exercise in any way.

I am feeling some discomfort in the wrist, but I think that is only muscle fatigue from performing a new extercise.

Thanks for your help.

2. May

May Guest

I dunno, but I don't understand what u mean by flexing ur racquet.

3. Brett

Brett Regular Member

What I meant by flexing my racquet was holding my forearm vertical, with the racquet in front of me, parallel to the ground and then rotating my wrist so the racquet travels 180 degrees and stops parallel to the ground, but pointing behind me.

4. May

May Guest

oh ic. Yeah, but i usually use that for warm-up.

5. Aaron

Aaron Guest

I do this too...cept i do it in different sets.
    so i do like 50...rest for a few mins, then do another 50 til i get 200...

6. viver

viver Regular Member

Hi Brett,
    I still did not really got what was your movement but one concern: did you do this before? If not, 200 repetitions/set seems a little too much to me - I would go in this situation probably 3 sets of 20/30 repetitions. A friend of mine injured his wrist quite badly just doing a paint job in a afternoon. He did no more than moving his wrist up/down with the brush. He rested for 2 months as the doctor diagnosed injury to the tendons!! Just take care my friend.

7. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    Ask Cheung...

Brett...

I've had a similar problem with my shoulder... there is a lot of cracking, because I feel that my muscles around my shoulder sometimes are not supporting the bones... probably due to over stretching during play sometimes...
    I think maybe what you should do is take it a bit easier at the moment, rather than doing such strenuous excercise on your wrist...
    Use some sort of weight possibly to help strengthen your wrist cords...
    However you can not build muscle mass around your wrist, except for your forearm...
    you need to keep these muscles fit, in order for them to support your joints.
    I don't want to give any bad advice, but... human joints are very important, and probably very susceptible to injury... these are the areas where we can not actually build muscles... (I learned this theory from martial arts... and it is true. you cant really build knee, or ankle muscle, but you can strengthen the muscles around them)
    That is why it is important I think to keep the areas around the joints strong.
    I just twisted my shoulder, and I think I may have torn something, as I'm finding some discomfort in movement.
    The reason why I say this, is because during an around the head smash, I accidentally twisted my shoulder, instead of snapping my wrist... and creak... felt something not so nice.
    I'm going to stop playing for the next few days, and get the doc to take a looksie...
    you might want to get your wrist checked out... you don't want your bones to get stuck in a strange form.

Anyways... just take it easy for now, because you might actually injure your wrist, and that would really suck.
    I'll meet up with you eventually, and we can play a few matches :)
    After I've contracted foot and mouth from the UK.. :lol:

8. Brett

Brett Regular Member

Re: Ask Cheung...

Sorry to hear about your shoulder, Kelvin. Maybe you should put it in a brace and just tell people that you had this incredible date, but it got a bit too out of hand around 3:00 a.m. .... :)

9. TrunkZ69

TrunkZ69 Regular Member

Student
    can you guys help me clairify what you guys do for these excersies? i read it over and over, but i dont get it. draw a pic with words if you could or something, hehe. thx