Richmond/Vancouver Group, interested?

Discussion in 'Canada West' started by eckonovember, Jul 28, 2013.

1. eckonovember

eckonovember Regular Member

Hi everyone,

I can almost guarantee that there are people here from Richmond/Vancouver who want to play but cannot find a stable group, partner, etc... Anyways, I'm thinking of starting a group to get some more games going but there is a catch...you must be working to improve on your game.

I'm sure you're already wondering about the schedule so I'll tell you mine, I work full-time so weekday evenings and weekends work best for me. Here is my idea so far and feel free to provide your input:

- I will create an open facebook group where everyone can join (I think this is easier for scheduling and creating events)
    - I apologize in advance if you're shy but everyone in the group will be introduced to each other to create a friendly environment.
    - If you're only interested in playing with people the same age, only guys or girls, then this group is probably not for you.
    - In terms of skill level, we will try to mix it up so everyone will be challenged (There is always something to learn from lower and higher skill levels)

So I hope this post generates discussion and not just views...I actually want to play some badminton!

2. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    Which courts are you thinking of playing at?
    I'll check back in a few months when I get relieved from Daddy duties.. :)

Good Luck!!!

3. eckonovember

Daddy duties eh? Hopefully it's keeping you fit enough for badminton! No specific court, I currently play all over Richmond and it's always nice to venture into a different venue and see the talent. I'm also trying to find some set groups that are already out there playing so I'll keep you updated

4. bonchu

bonchu Regular Member

once you have more replies, perhaps you can brief us a bit more in terms of:
    - commitment
    - play time (date, place and time)
    - feathers or plastic

I do have my own group if you would like to join. We play on Wed and Sat in the evening at C1 and play feathers. Group level varies from intermediate to advance (men and women). At the moment we are off and will resume in the beginning of Sept. Let me know if you would like try us out.

5. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    Haven't excercised/play badminton in 7 months. Gained a few pounds and lots of rust. :(

6. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
  7. bad-vancouver

bad-vancouver Regular Member

There's a "Meetup" group that plays quite a bit of badminton. You can find the meetup page at: http://www.meetup.com/bubbletea/events/132053432/ They play Sundays att 6pm, Tuesday at 7pm and are starting to play Wednesdays. Skill levels vary, its more about meeting and playing with other people who share the hobby of badminton. A great and very friendly bunch, welcoming to all. You will need to sign up and RSVP with a free meetup account though to play with the group.

8. Tedski

Tedski Regular Member

bean counter
    Please keep us post about the development of your group, I wouldn't mind to meet some new baddie friends particularly weather starts to turn at late September when we turn our attention to inside sports. I also run a small drop in group as well on every Saturday from noon to 3 at Khas. Format is rather simple, no commitment, players pay their own drop-in fee and just join our group. Levels are from high beginner to full range of intermediate (men and women) and age range from 20s to 50s. The only catch is we only play feather and everyone chip-in 2 birds for the session. Hard hitter are generally self regulated and chip-in more birds.

9. eckonovember

Definitely, let me know when you guys resume playing and I'll be sure to make it out

I've heard about this group before...I'm pretty sure I saw this group playing a couple of times on their Sunday sessions since I rented a court a couple of times the last few weeks on Sunday nights. Thanks for the link, will definitely check it out

For sure, I think almost everyone here has at least one group that they already play with so if were able to get a few members out here and there then its a start. Right now, I'm part of a work group that plays 5-7PM every Thursday (we usually play at Khas but the weather has been so hot recently that we've moved over to C1 Leslie). Let me know if anyone is interested in coming out, same with Tedski's group levels are from high beginner to full range of low-high intermediate (men and women) and age range from 20s to 50s. The only catch is that we play nylons :p (I'd rather play feather)

10. eckonovember

Will be there tonight for tonight's meet up. Looking forward to meeting you and the rest of the group

11. bad-vancouver

bad-vancouver Regular Member

OK! See you there. You might find me sitting at the front desk. Looks like a huge turnout tonight!

12. bdmnbby

bdmnbby New Member

I like this idea. I will join. I have trouble finding female player, tried different group such as meet up but not the exact atmosphere I prefer - smaller group. I want to seriously to play some badminton only. I go to Khas occationaly for drop in Friday night. Friday or weekend are my availability most of the time. I can bring one or two extra members to the group.

13. eckonovember

Nice meeting you last night man! Crazy turnout and got in a few good games with some trained players towards the end. Will be there on Tuesday again to try and get in more court time

Sounds good, I'm trying to see who's interested in joining a smaller group from the groups that I'm currently playing with right now. Did you only go on a Sunday or did you try different days for the Meet Up group??

14. bdmnbby

bdmnbby New Member

I go Sunday only. Since you played towards the end of game on Sunday I think I must have seen you. Sunday and Saturday daytime is my prefered time to play and Friday weekday evening I could attend as well. I may try Tedski's group one day.

15. Tedski

Tedski Regular Member

bean counter
    Just a heads up, there are a few members including myself will be in vacation, so our group is rather small in the next couple of weeks. If you do decided to drop by, starting he last week of August of early September may be better as most members will be back =)

16. bdmnbby

bdmnbby New Member

Thanks for the info.

17. bonchu

bonchu Regular Member

18. ThisAsianGuy

ThisAsianGuy Regular Member

Student
    Hello, I was wondering if you are still making a group to play? I am looking for people at the moment. Let me know.

19. eckonovember

[MENTION=99577]ThisAsianGuy[/MENTION] Sent you a PM

20. stealthy1

stealthy1 Regular Member

I'm also interested in this group. Let me know!