Beware of purchasing lining racket

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Smashing Max, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Smashing Max

Smashing Max New Member

onwer of Smashing Max
    Noticed that there is a lot of Lining racket are fake in market .
    The price is just a little bit different comparable with the original racket .
    Hope everyone is beware and pls be more careful on choosing the Lining racket in market .

2. Himari

Himari Regular Member

IT
    Is there a way to verify Lining rackets (other than buying from high reputation store i.e MBS)? I heard from my Chinese friend that even the fake one, its stamp/sticker still proves that it's a genuine when checking online, can't beat such a high skill in making a genuine stamp on a fake racket though :D

3. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Can you provide us with some pictures and examples please?
    Have you had any personal experience?

Or does your concern stem from the fact that you own a badminton store and sell Li Ning products?

#3 cobalt, Jul 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  4. mms6a

mms6a Regular Member

Smasher
    That is exactly what I heard as well on some English speaking TW forums and basmintoncn free years ago.

As far as I am concerned, the S-type versions may not have been copied as lower popularity.

A rule of thumb, always buy from trusted shops am online retailers.

5. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    Yup. I seen it before. They called it Grade A or Class A lining racket.

6. MagicElite

MagicElite Regular Member

Surely there is a way to separate Grade A/Class A Li Ning racket from the original and authentic ones?

7. Smashing Max

Smashing Max New Member

onwer of Smashing Max
    Singapore market normally they will pasted a greed color code sticker is to proof that the stock is come out from Lining supplier . One of my experience is the caps color different from the original one and also the wording that printed on the racket .fake one is much more thinner . Pls also notice that there is no any code that printed on the racket for the original one .

8. quixilver

quixilver Regular Member

Last week when I visited my regular stringer to restring my racket, he showed me one copy of fake N90III but I did not manage to take any picture at the shop as I did not want to ruin his business by bringing up the fake racket issue in front of his other customers.
    Initially he tested me to inspect and guess whether it was fake or original but I failed to identify, everything looked fine to my naked eyes though I realized I missed out to spot some details since I had no experience with the N90III which is relatively new. Only until he took out the original N90III and put it side by side, I managed to see the differences. There were only fine details like the red coloured grommets sequence and a slight different fonts for the text on the shaft as well as the paint/decal colors at the frame. Other than that, it looked like a real thing.

The stringer told me, when he received the racket from his customer, he didn't even suspect that it was a fake copy. Only after he tensioned the string up to the numbers he was requested (28 lbs), which was quite high, then he found the frame was deformed. In the end, he reduced the tension to 24lbs instead.
    I was quite lucky to get such experience, now I can be more careful and aware when I have to identify those fakes. There are few other ways to check which I could not describe by words but I can actually see, feel and hear when I personally hold the racket for a close inspection.

Please be informed that I have no intention to get any benefit by sharing these facts, nor that I want to mess up with somebody else's business especially Li Ning brand image as I am a big fan of Li Ning too...

9. MjölnirSlinger

MjölnirSlinger Regular Member

@ quixilver

What about 'Li-ning Authenticity Verification sticker' on the racket handle?
    Did the fake one has it?

10. quixilver

quixilver Regular Member

I didn't see the sticker as it was covered with layers of grip the owner wrapped on but I guess it's not that difficult to duplicate the sticker as many other details were able to be faked either.
    I'm so impressed that some people can really produce a fake copy of this brand new released N90III with such a hi-level details and finishing quality which I believe is not so easy.
    I'm not sure if there is any but I've never found a fake copy of Yonex and Victor as close as this one.

#10 quixilver, Jul 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  11. Elisha

Elisha Regular Member

Lol it's probably made in the same factory!
    Anyway I have seen many fake Li-Ning rackets in person and I can almost immediately tell by their fisher price looking grommets.

12. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    Yes, they can bypass the code authenticity test on li-ning website as we can put the same code as many times as we want and we still get "ok" sign from the website. I tried it before (so the fake maker can buy a genuine li-ning, and then make fake copies of the code for all of their fake rackets and it looks genuine)

I think we know this last year or 2 years ago.

there are still very little information on how to differentiate fake and genuine li-ning rackets.
    one of them is actually the writings (and grommets). however it needs a physical examination and like the TS said, he failed to identify it on the first try (and needs to be compared head to head with the real one to find the differences)
    Imagine if you are a first time buyer and have no idea on how to identify one (to be honest I don't have li-ning since they are overpriced.. so I am almost as blind as everyone here). it will be disastrous if your $250-300 li-ning is a fake one..

Sadly, li-ning does not provide us an easy way to identify li-ning fake rackets.
    well, either take the risk, or buying from famous retailer (such as MBS or e78) or don't buy them

13. quixilver

quixilver Regular Member

After I saw that fake copy N90III, I am now able to identify and differentiate that kind of fake rackets from the genuine one without comparing them side by side unless if there is any other fake copy which is more improved/enhanced version. It's a coincidence that I know the owner of that fake racket and I just took a couple of pictures for my own documentation purpose.
    Luckily in Singapore I have not found any shop which sell fake Li Ning N90III, I managed to check around by visiting some popular shops and they are selling the genuine real things so I'm pretty sure the retail market is safe so far. And yes, the fakes were found and reported only for the N90III from the current Li Ning line-up while the other lower end models like N50III, N55III, N7 and N9 are still untouched *fingers crossed*

14. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    already their is a fake N90III? wow..that is quite fast.

15. quixilver

quixilver Regular Member

Yeah... I could easily believe if it was really made by the same finishing department but it's unlikely, I hope !
    Those with cheapo grommets were old stories, these new generation fakes are so-called the improved/enhanced version.

16. mms6a

mms6a Regular Member

Smasher
    Indeed, the new batches of good grade fake Li Ning's solved the grommet quality problem. They look just as clean and smooth like an authentic Li Ning N- series.

And also I can almost confirm they are selling fake of the new generation 3 N series racket (such as N90iii etc). You can find the aforementioned on Taobao, Tmall, eBay etc and other online auctions. I have heard from some buyers who bought from Taobao (Chinese eBay) that some sellers are charging the genuine Li Ning price, but shipping out fake rackets. So online buyers BEWARE!!! Buy it from a trusted seller (e78 etc) or shop in a reputable store.

I cannot remember the site as it was about a year or 2 ago. I think it was a blog rather than a forum, and one of the comments attached a picture.

Also I think I saw similar post of fake Li Ning N90ii having Authenticity scratch stickers which can be verified on Li Ning's website. And base one one f the threads, they said it Li Ning Verification website was hack at one point or another, and the serial algorithms were compromised by the supposed team who launched the DDoS attacks.

Though the thread was in Chinese, and my Chinese character recognition was not that good, I read it with a help from a Chinese friend.

I wonder if Li Ning changed their serial # algorithms after they relaunched their verification site. Or if the fake verifiable stickers are still a plague on the new generation rackets such as the N90iii/N7/N9 etc.

17. awchris@singnet

awchris@singnet Regular Member

SPORTS RETAILOR
    Lining N90III(Fake)

Lining N90III fake racket came into my shop for re-string,the same day launched in Singapore.He bought only Singapore dollar $60.With no Halogram on the fennel.At first feel,i know is fake.I have the racket.Racket is too light (even balance)with vibration.The original white grip with zig-zag embossed is not deep enough.More like a 4u racket.For your info,Singapore Lining Racket is one of cheapest.HK Lining rackets has to supply over from Singapore.

18. Himari

Himari Regular Member

IT
    Heard that N90-III is targeted for being fake just about the time folks was aware about its launching news, I suppose it's due to the famous Lin Dan then, hopefully the other newly launched i.e N50-III, N55-III, N7, N9 are safe bets. I just had a chance to hold a N9, and it looks fine as far as I can tell

19. mms6a

mms6a Regular Member

Smasher
    There are different grades of fakes.

Since he bought it for $60 SGD retail, it must cost around $20 to make the fake, therefore making it a quite low quality fake.

I have seen some fakes that look and bp feels just like the real thing. UNTIL i flex the shaft and actually playing it after string it up at a high tension. Like you have mentioned, the vibration is quite bad, and I also did not kike the torque that head is twisting when it contact with the shuttle

20. Elisha

Elisha Regular Member

The markup on rackets are very high. Even the original ones most likely only cost 1/4 of MSRP. I'm going based on the price discrepancies for the same model imported vs buying locally. And I'm sure places like MBS, RKEP and others are making money even though they sell at what seems like rock bottom prices even with shipping.
    The manual labour is why most rackets are manufactured where they are.