Which Yonex Strings most Durability

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by lohpp, Dec 18, 2003.

1. lohpp

lohpp Regular Member

Rate : 1 - 10

BG 66
    BG 65/TI
    BG 68/TI
    Bg 70 PRO
    BG 80
    BG 85
    BG 88/TI

2. ptang777

ptang777 Regular Member

Just tried BG85 for the first time @ 24 x 26 lbs. It lasted about 2 weeks! But the strings felt really good, best I've tried. Alot more power than BG65 at the same tension. BG65 usually lasts forever for me. I end up cutting it after about 2 months or so due to tension loss.

Attached Files:

3. quagmire

quagmire Regular Member

graphic designer
    i believe bg65 tops the durability category followed by bg65ti

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I've tried BG65, BG65Ti and BG68Ti. BG65 seems last the longest. Usually, it will survive 5-6 months of "hard play" (my standard), before I need to cut it. BG65Ti can last 3-4 months for me, while 68Ti is about 2-3.

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    uh ah, from that list, i've observed that 65ti last the longest, then 65, and so on

6. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Surely from that list it must be the BG-63 (furthest to the left on the durabilty axis). From actually playing I dont know, as not played with a lot of them.

I have played with BG-85, Bg-66, BG-65, BG65ti, BG68ti, but in each of the examples, i have used different string tensions, and was at different level of play, So sorry I cant help you much, but I would think that this diagram is pretty accurate. After all, unlike the diagram for rackets (singles, doubles, defensive, offensive) It has less to do with opinion, and more with scientific research.

7. ynexfan2003

ynexfan2003 Regular Member

Part time (unpaid) wine tester
    I don't understand why BG-68ti is weighted toward control players; the feel of that string is just terrible, the shuttle flies off the strings far too quickly; it is very resilient though, and so, one should think it would be better for hard hitters. Out of YY BG 65ti, 68ti, BG65 and BG85, and Ashaway ML, I think YYBG85 offers the best combination of power and control; but then I prefer control over power, and would pick even BG65 before 68ti. There is little point in being able to kill the shuttle, when you can't play consistent drops etc. . All players at a decent level can return most hard smashes.

8. ayl

ayl Regular Member

Professional procrastinator
    Ditto. Can't agree more there. :cool:

9. ptang777

ptang777 Regular Member

After my first experience with the BG85 that only lasted 2 weeks, I decided to switch to BG70 Pro. I kinda like this string. Better than BG65. The only thing I didn't get used to the BG85 was that it had a lot of power, maybe too much because when playing net shots it felt like an elastic propelling the shuttle too high. It could be I didn't haven't given enough time to get used to it. But the BG70 Pro the shuttle didn't have that elastic feel which was better for my net shots but lost noticable power with clears.

Maybe I will give BG85 a try again next time I get my racquet restrung since I missed the effortless power I got from it. Might as well, since I just bought 10 packs of BG85!

10. iluvthesun

iluvthesun Regular Member

does this mean bg68ti is the yonex string with most repulsion? if that's true i'm definitely getting it. control, imho, depends more on the player, e.g some ppl can do fairly decent drops with any racket.

i use bg70 pro and, as ptang said, clears need a helluva lot more effort. mines is 23lbs.

btw has anyone tried bg68ti with nylon shuttles? how does it compare with playing with feather ones?

11. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Bg65 still is the most durable among the strings , but more are op to use bg65ti or br68ti nowadays.

12. ptang777

ptang777 Regular Member

If you want more power, definately go with strings with more repulsion such as BG85, BG80, and BG68 Ti. I've only tried BG85 out the the three above. I once tried to test my string tension limit and jumped from 23lb with BG65 to 25-26 lbs with BG65. Bad mistake. BG65 at that tension felt like a brick to me! I had to swing as hard as I could to clear to the back lines.

But with the BG85 at the same tension it was very effortless. Now I know what "repulsion power" really means. But the strings with more repulsion seems to be the least durable. Like I said, my first experience with BG85 lasted about 2 weeks. Others say about 1-2 months max. I don't smash often so I doubt the strings will last much longer than about a month for many.

13. SchrodingerCat

SchrodingerCat New Member

looking for one
    ptang777, what tension are you using? I am also using BG 70 pro at 24 lbs tension. I have recently re-strung it and the replusiveness is really low. It really changes how my strokes.

BTW, BG 70 pro is a very durable string.

14. ayl

ayl Regular Member

I think the chart is bit old. The new Yonex BG65 Power string last just as long as BG65 and has fairly good repulsion power. Not as good as BG65Ti but better than BG70Pro.

Best string in my opinion for repulsion power is BG66. Unfortunately this is also the string with shortest lifespan, in comparison with other Yonex strings.

15. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    BG63 and BG65 are the strings that can take the most tension,so they must be the most durable.

When I got my AS1 tensioned to 40lbs the stringer said they were the only two strings that could hold the tension.

I chose BG65 and at 30lbs they were fine, at 35lbs they were fine but at 40lbs they snapped after 2-3 weeks, not scrapped or hit off anything, I just went into my bag, took the racket out of the thermal and the string had snapped.

16. ayl

ayl Regular Member

That's true Dill, BG65 seem is the only string that seems to stay intact when strung to very high tension. I've tried string BG66, BG80 and BG85 at 32lbs in the past and both BG80/85 started show sign of surface fraying after initial play, where strings cross each other. BG66 on the other hand snapped straight away....

BG65 Power can also sustain high tensions. However, like BG65, it lose about 1-2lbs after leaving the stringing machine so this needs to be factored in during stringing.

17. Yipom

Yipom Regular Member

my BG65

So Sad.....my BG65 broke yesterday.........and i didn't really play with it that much, since i had it on my spare racket.....i played with these strings for less then 6 hours, and they snaped on me........i was so shocked too........

18. ptang777

ptang777 Regular Member

I strung BG85 @ 24 x 26 lb. I just restrung with BG70 PRO @ 22 x 24 lb. What I noticed is that after the first couple of days, BG70 PRO loses alot of tension, probably about 2 lbs! But the BG85 didn't lose much at all even before it broke, probably no more than 1 lb. Maybe that's why they don't last long, because they refuse to stretch, but kinda ironic that they have more repulsion.

19. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

Not necessarily.

Durability also depends how the strings fray against each other when they move over each other, and how much they dig into each other.
    The Yonex Ti strings have a slippery coating, so they resist fraying.
    So I would expect BG-65Ti to be more durable than BG-65 (all other things being equal)

The chart appears wrong to me where it shows BG-66 to be more durable than BG-68Ti.

Personally, I have used BG-65, 65Ti, 66, 68Ti, 70Pro

My BG-68Ti was strung at 28lb in March 2003 and still plays OK
    My BG-70Pro was strung at 30lb in July 2003 and still feels tight
    (BG70Pro is supposed to hold tension well, and I think it does)

66 for feather, the others for nylon, although my 66 broke in the middle of a match a while back and the BG70Pro stood in reasonably well.

20. iluvthesun

iluvthesun Regular Member

bg70 pro is my first yonex string so obviously i cannot compare it to any others. i was quite disappointed with it at first. my clears never went from backline to backline. however, like you, i changed my strokes so that when i cleared i jumped and used as big a swing arc as possible. i also did quite a lot of arm training (my smashes are now quite hard).

i thought this lack in power was due to my high'ish tension of 23lbs so i still thought bg70 pro was the string for me. but having read your comments i am now convinced that it is not. it is a good choice if you want to train for power, but other than that, durability is the only plus.

next time i'm back in hk i'm getting 2 packs each of bg85 and bg68ti =P