Okay to bias yourself to one side of the court, or a bad habit?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by tropicalmouse, Dec 18, 2003.

1. tropicalmouse

tropicalmouse Regular Member

Student
    I have a really weak back hand, is it okay to move more to my backhand side?

However, I rather fight it out than form a bad habit.

So is it common for good players to stand on their weaker side?

How can I improve my backhand shots?

2. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

I stand a bit more towards my weaker side, but not too much. But just enough to compensate for my weak backhand. The only way to improve your backhand shots is to learn the proper technique and practice. Or at least that's the only way I can see...

3. Nanashi

Nanashi Regular Member

Student
    it depends... at a tournament, there was one player that attacked my backhand like mad... in that case, i stood a little closer to my backhand corner... that way, whenever he attacked it, i would be there to smash/drop/clear it (fortunately, his other shots weren't particularly good)

4. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    When you hit the shuttle over the net you are supposed to cut down the chances of not reaching the return by moving over slightly to the side that you have hit the shuttle into on the oppositions court. But this should be done equaly for forehand and backhand.

If you have the speed to get to the forehand ok from where you are standing to protect your backhand it should be ok for now, but...............

I would suggest working on your backhand if you cannot play round the head as this will be picked out in a warm up with better players and if you go in for competition they will use it against you

5. quagmire

quagmire Regular Member

graphic designer
    try standing slightly or more perpendicular to the net facing your backhand side when defending. this way, when you do your backhand, your arm is more in front of you than to the left side of your body(if youre a righty). that should give your backhand a little more power. you'll have to be flexible enough to reach for the far shots to your forehand side tho but that should be easier to fix.