Badminton on Public Holidays

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Loh, Dec 19, 2003.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Holidays are approaching but do you know which country has the most number of public holidays PH for you to play badminton?

Surprisingly, it is Hong Kong, which has 17 days! That's what my 2004 Desk Diary, a gift from a company which wants to launch its shares to the public, tells me, although only 25 countries, excluding populous India and Indonesia, are shown. To think that Cheung has complained so often about the lack of time to play badminton is quite an irony! We have only 11 PH in Singapore. Maybe, Cheung has to work on most PH?

Germany is second with 16 days, followed closely by Austria, Taiwan and Thailand with 15. Japan, Malaysia and South Korea have 14 PH. Denmark and Sweden, 13; Norway, Switzerland and US, 12; Belgium, France and S'pore, 11; Australia, Italy, Netherlands, New Zealand, Russia and the Philippines, 10.

The more "hardworking" countries with less than 10 PH include Canada (9), UK (8) and surprise, surprise, China with the lowest PH at 7 days! It seems that the world's most populous nation is also the most hardworking. But don't let these statistics deceive you. Workers in China are allowed to take afternoon naps, I understand, and productivity levels may not be that high!

And do you know which event of the year is the most celebrated? Of course you are right - it is New Year's Day, Jan 1, although the Taiwanese call it "Founding of the Republic of China".

Just around the corner on 25th, Christmas Day, is the second-most celebrated event in the sample, although Christianity is not the dominant religion in some of these countries. The Russians have a different version called "Orthodox Christian Christmas Day" which they observe on Jan 7th. And, quite understandably, communist China, does not have this event in their calendar nor does it have other religious holidays as religion is tabooed in China. So too are Japan and Thailand, largely Buddhists countries. But other countries which practise Buddhism like HK, Malaysia, S'pore, South Korea and Taiwan are more open, for they also celebrate Christmas.

Many of the European countries adopt the Christian faith and apart from Christmas, they also observe other Christian events like "Whit" on May 30 and 31, (7th day after Easter, commemorating the descent of the Holy Spirit at Pentecost), which is more popular than "Epiphany", Jan 6, (any manifestation of a god...), celebrated in Austria, Germany, Italy and Sweden. "Maundy Thursday", April 8, which I believe is related to Christianity, perhaps more towards Catholicism since the Philippines, a non-European Catholic country, influenced by the Spanish culture, also observes that day apart from Denmark, Norway and Sweden.

All of us, who are workers or will become one in the near future, would have thought that "Labour Day", May 1, just like New Year's Day, should rightly be celebrated throughout the world, but alas, the fact is some countries don't. These odd-ball countries include Denmark, Japan (they have Labour Thanksgiving Day on Nov 23), Netherlands, South Korea and Taiwan. Some countries chose a different day like Canada, Sep 6; UK, May 3 and the US, Sep 6.

But perhaps a more unique situation is observed in Malaysia and Singapore. Multi-racial, multi-cultural and multi-religious in character, these two countries respect the cultures of the three main groups and other minorities and allow them to observe events important to them, such as the following:

Malays & Muslims - Hari Raya Haji (Feb 1), Hari Raya Puasa (Nov 14)
    Chinese - Chinese or Lunar New Year (Jan 22 & 23)
    Indians - Deepavali (Nov 11)
    Europeans & Christians - Christmas

Buddhists - Vesak Day (Jun 2)

So, if you're in dire need for more days for badminton, join Cheung in Hong Kong!

Anyway, "HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL BFers" and may the Year of the Monkey(?) be less tricky and more enjoyable for our badminton game!

2. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    I think England has the fewest PH , unfortunately all the sports centres shut on those days so there is no chance of playing anyway.

3. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Sorry to disappoint you, Dlp, but China has only 7 PH versus UK's 8! China doesn't celebrate any religious events. The Chinese allocate 3 days for Chinese NY and 2 days for their National Day, with the remaining 2 for New Year's Day and International Labour Day.

The UK, on the other hand is a Christian country and therefor provided 3 days for Good Friday, Easter Monday and Christmas. But "Spring Bank and Summer Bank Holidays" don't make much sense in most of the other countries in the sample. Maybe, being one of the world's most prominent financial centres, the UK wants to reward its bankers more than the others.

Yes, I agree that the PH for Christmas, Boxing Day and New Year do not provide much relief to badminton fanatics in the UK because of the extreme cold and sports centres have to shut down. All the more you should join Cheung. Hopefully, HK is not as cold, otherwise you are welcome to join us in M'sia or S'pore, which enjoy fair weather all round the year!

4. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

no more afternoon naps in China in most places...

5. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    You're right we get 8, even northern ireland gets 10 I believe. Still the centres shut for almost all the bank holidays and sometimes the whole xmas week!

6. bottleneck

bottleneck Regular Member

sales
    Well, oddly enough we never or almost never play on a holiday at my group in Taiwan. The reason? Most people will visit family or return home to central and south Taiwan on holidays.

January 1, the most celebrated holiday in Taiwan? I don't think so. What about Chinese new year? National Day (Double 10).

I might be wrong about the most celebrated because I'm not Taiwanese but I live here for more than 7 years already. My wife is Taiwanese and we never celebrated January 1. That is, we actually do as western New Year.

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    HK is in an interesting position, a mixture of both western influences so they get Christmas, Easter, etc, and also Chinese influence, both traditional and national holidays.

however, most of the gyms in HK are run by the district council, i wonder if they'd be open during the holidays.

here in US, i know there is a gym (Pleasanton) which is open on 24/26/27/28, and they have a opening on new year's eve evening where there is a buffet/potluck and they will open till the next year!

8. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Yes, I can understand the position in Taiwan. With about 70% of our own population being Chinese, actually Chinese New Year is the most celebrated in Singapore, in the sense that more people (both young and old) are engaged in the festivities, house visitations, reunion dinners, outings, etc. I suppose Taiwan is similar and Double Ten, Oct 10 is another significant event, just like our National Day celebrations on August 9. Indeed, one may not be able to book a badminton court on CNY day or on Re-union Dinner evening. But then, many will be too involved to think of badminton?

But our ND is also unique in that all our three major races and the minority groups, in other words the entire country, observe and participate in organized activities like the National Day Parade, a very colourful event involving many uniformed/military and civic groups, governmental and non-governmental organizations and the holding of community dinners, etc. Attendance at the ND Parade is so popular that tickets have to be balloted nowadays and it is like striking a lottery if you are able to get one! Last time people used to queue up overnight, camping at the ticket-venues, just to make sure the family gets a chance to witness the parade.

Actually, after the 9/ll disaster, our government realized the great importance of bonding our three major racial groups since a good proportion of our people (about 20%) belong to the Muslim faith, which unfortunately was indirectly blamed. Thankfully, a good majority of our Muslim countrymen belong to the moderate groups, not the extremists, and our government is taking active steps to educate the public on such issues and to encourage the Muslim leaders to come forward to denounce terrorism and to ensure that teachers of the religion are registered and approved by their leaders. We are succeeding but are always on the alert to possible terrorist threats.

New Year's Day, Jan 1, is highly commercialized. In a way we follow the West in its celebrations and the tradition of staying up late and counting the time to midnight and the dawn of another new year, as they all do in Times Square. The TV has influenced young minds and taught them what and how to do. All-night parties, buffet lunches and dinners cater mainly to the young. I'm surprised to learn that Taiwan is not into it in a big way.

And except for the Christians, Christmas is also largely commercialized to cater to the entertainment needs of mainly the young and the yuppies as another outlet to spend the holidays.

9. bottleneck

bottleneck Regular Member

sales
    I suppose our badminton group is in a unique position. Most people in the group are working for the same company, it's so to speak a corporate badminton team. Although outsiders can become members.

Many people working for the company are actually coming from all parts of Taiwan, so they like to go home on holidays to visit the family.

Anyhow, we really don't need to play on holidays as we have Tue, Thu, Sat evening from 5:30 PM to 9:30 PM to practice and play, and it will set you back 2,000 NT$ (60 USD) membership and a monthly fee of 500 NT$ (15 USD). We have 4 courts available, but not airconditioned so summers can be really hot. It's in fact a municipal activity center with the 3 th floor reserved for badminton only (ceiling height, 11 m).

And ... we play whole year round except from holidays (especially chinese new year).

I know that most teams or clubs in Belgium have a summer break so here in Taiwan we are in a special position.

Christmas and Western New Year are being (over)commercialized in Taiwan too, at least the last couple of years. But I meant, I never actually witnessed people in Taiwan celebrating constitution day (I guess it's called), January 1.

BTW, Taiwan has only 1-2% Christians.

#9 bottleneck, Dec 22, 2003
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2003
  10. jump_smash

jump_smash Regular Member

IT
    Holidays

Here in Canberra, Capital of Australia we have 12 public holidays not 10.

Australian National Holidays
    New Year's Day 1st January
    Australia Day 26th January
    Good Friday 9th April
    Easter Saturday 10th April
    Easter Monday 12th April
    Anzac Day Sunday/Monday 25/26th April
    Queen's Birthday (ex WA) 14th June
    Christmas Day Saturday/Monday 25/27th December
    Boxing Day Sunday/tuesday 26/28th December

Australian Capital Territory (Canberra)
    Canberra Day Monday 15th March
    Bank Holiday Monday 2th August
    Labour Day Monday 4th October

Regards

Stuart

11. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Thanks Stuart, I suppose being the capital, Canberra has special privileges. I recalled that that Administrative Capital is a rather quiet place compared with the buzz of Gold Coast, Sydney and even Melbourne. But it is also an elite sports centre, I believe.

Whilst looking at the Commonwealth countries, Australia and NZ stand out because only they celebrate the Queen's Birthday, whereas even in UK, the event is not offically included in the calendar.

And of course your Anzac Day. There must be a special relationship between Australia and New Zealand. Can you enlighten us why they both observe this day?

12. jump_smash

IT
    Loh,

All the states have their own 1-2 holidays apart from the National holidays,
    for instance Victoria has the Melbourne cup.

As for ANZAC day, this is to mainly remember the loss during the first world war in Turkey - the Galipolii landings, where New Zealand and Australia had major troop losses. ANZAC stands for Australia and New Zealand Army Corps.

#12 jump_smash, Dec 23, 2003
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2003
  13. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    So I suppose mainly the military personnel observe this special event?

Do they expand the occasion to involve the public? If they do, what sort of activities are included?

14. tcstay

tcstay Regular Member

student
    am really happy to hear that the tampines badminton hall is opened even during public holidays, even chinese new year!!! and the opening hours are the same too. even for the sports shop just outside the badminton hall is also opened during public holidays...

this is very encouraging. tat means if badminton lovers have nothing much to do during PHs, they can find solace still in the courts. haha.

even though the price is doubled. but i think it's still worth it.

15. jump_smash

IT

Canberra is quiet, only 320,000 people or about so, its main industry being governent and government support. With the Eastern coast having Sydney and Melbourne always competing to be the biggest (they have the biggest populations in this 20 million people country).

Canberra is home to the AIS, Australian Institue of Sport, tho some sports have based themselves in other States, Perth for example has the Volleyball etc?

Badminton's home is in Melbourne were Badminton Australia has its head office,
    olympic program have been run in the past with the VIS, Victorian Institue of Sport.
    Although badminton fisrt started in Western Australia, it's strongest and most powerful home is in Victoria. In the past 99% of teh Australian team for Olympics,
    Commonwealth Games, etc have been Victorians, with the occasionaly South Australian, and maybe one over the years from New South Wales.

16. jump_smash

IT
    Anzac Day is a Public holiday, they have dawn services at War Memorials around the country. They have parades of current soldiers and past veterans. This is the day when these "old diggers " usually get "pissed" and play "two-up" at local RSL's.

17. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Stuart

Thanks again for the trouble. Sorry, but I don't dig what you meant by "...and play 'two-up' at local RSL's." RSLs must be quite common down under, but it doesn't ring a bell here.

18. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    Just looked at the calender and counted the school holidays, not just public holidays. Education department for next year sure is generous, we've got a week off in March, no reason why. Counted all the school holidays and found it to be 80+, not including Saturday and Sunday. :D I've looked at the calender for public holidays, seems like there are more than 14 PH?

19. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    That is for schools only. For those who work have less PH. :)

20. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    Well as far as I know all the PH are in red colour, and I counted more then 14PH. Think I'll go and do a recount... but the holidays for certain states only aren't counted right?