What Racquet should I get

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by niko792, Dec 19, 2003.

1. niko792

niko792 New Member

Hi guys, I am new to the board, but I am looking into buying a new racquet and thought you could help.
    -I play about 3-4 times a week, and am fairly serious about the game.
    -I am more of a drop shot kind of player
    -$$ doesn't matter
    -I am not all that strong, so I want a racquet that will make clears easier, and smashes harder.
    -I am thinking about Karakal, or Yonex, but am open to any suggestions.
    Any help will be appreciated.
    Niko

2. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

read the faq. it mentions a lot of factors that you havent told us

3. niko792

niko792 New Member

I live in Canada, also. I am not sure what else to put. I was thinking about getting the Karakal Ti75.
    LMK, Niko

4. bigredlemon

The equipment fact needs to be updated imho.

you said that you lack power.... and yet you are buying one of the lightest racquets available.

Is your lack of power from
    - too slow a swing speed, or
    - not strong enough to handle the weight of your current racquet?

also, what racquet are you currently using?
    location is pretty important imho. For light racquets, Black knight is very good, and it's only available in Canada.

5. niko792

niko792 New Member

I am not sure how to measure head speed, but I don't think my lack of power comes from not being able to handle my current racquet as it is pretty light. (Techno PowerPoint). I just read the reviews on the Karakal Ti75, and people said they are powerful. I don't know. Do you recommend any from Black Knight? Thanks for you help so far too.
    LMK, Niko

6. bigredlemon

I find that heavier racquets are easier to clear with. Lighter racqutes are easier to smash with.

Backhand tap on takes no effort to clear, and that's all the power you need. For a smash, you'll need to hit faster than your opponent can see. So that means a lighter racquet (easier to change direction midstroke for deception.) But bad technique will show up alot more on a light racquet.

If you must get something light, i wouldn't go below 80 grams. Most people here would consider 85g to be light, though i find it just about right for myself. I'm not sure how much the powerpoint weighs, though i'd suspect probably around 95g given all that rubber they put on the handle.

If i were you, i'd pick any of black knight's higher end models. They are all 80-86gs, and fairly balanced. You might want to pick a more head-heavy racquet with a flexible shaft for more power.

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Another thread ask for "help". ;)

If u know any local stores carrying badminton rackets, maybe pay a visit and demo (at least, take several swing) some of them. Overall, everyone has his/her own favorite and "range". Something works great for me, might be a piece of crap for u. The ratings from others might lie (of course, more due to different standard), but ur own hand should not.

8. kAoS

kAoS Regular Member

Student
    hey niko. talk to glen at our club, he will usually let you try out rackets before u purchase them. just ask him what your looking for, and he can usually help you out.

-kaos

9. niko792

niko792 New Member

Yeah, I will ask Glen when we go back to the club after Christmas. Thanks everyone.
    Niko