Tensioning on YY Carbonex 21 Special

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by cwjx94, Aug 5, 2013.

1. cwjx94

cwjx94 Regular Member

Student
    Hey,

I just bought a Cab21Special and already love it more than my VTZF and N90 :)

but i strung it at max recommended of 22lbs, and am feeling that its a bit too low for me. Wondering if anyone else has the same racquet and could tell me how the longevity of the racquet is at higher tensions, looking more to 25/26lbs, as i really want to make this beauty last.

I'm aware also that the guidelines are usually more of a warranty related thing, but no one i play with uses this particular racquet and i just want to check with all y'all on this before i go planning for the next restring

Thanks
    Chris :)

#1 cwjx94, Aug 5, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  2. gnoils

gnoils Regular Member

I had it strung at 26lbs. Mine seems ok.

3. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    You have to be very careful with the older oval shaped racquets. I've strung my Cab 21 and 20 to 27lb before but mostly at 25lb or so.

If the stringer is using anything other than a 6-point machine, stay away. If the stringer is not experienced or does not take care or is in a rush, stay away.

The area of most concern is stringing the top few crosses, oval shaped racquets are inherently weak here and tend to move away from the side supports as you apply tension. It is really important to observe this and seeing whether it is deforming excessively.

Some people have used the top down approach to reduce this effect. Also some have reduce the tension in the top crosses to help reduce the stress to the frame too.

But it can be done, with the right experience, machine and care.

4. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    very sound advice, when i string my own oval rackets, tho at 21-22lbs, i still pay attention to the racket head and make sure it's not shifting or clamped down too tight. also i tried to finish stringing the racket in one session before taking a break of some sort so that unnecessary tension is not applied to the racket.

finding a good AND reliable stringer is like finding a good mechanic!