Why do all the rackets I use feel wrong?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by diverdan, Aug 5, 2013.

1. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    I have tried a lot of different rackets over the past 3 years and none of them feel right. They are either too head heavy, too stiff, too flexible, too light, not enough shock absorption, too much shock absorption, the weight in the wrong place....you get the picture.

I have just bought the new LYD and found it too HH so lunging shots or shots where I have to move the racket head quickly from a standing start are too slow. I have been using the MX80 4U which I liked but lacked a bit of power. I have also the SW35 which is not providing me with anything special. I tried the Lining N55ii and found that too flexible, the VT80 which was too flexible and too HH, the 8DX which was too stiff for a even balanced racket, the Carbonex 25 SP which was very nice for its time.

I guess what I am looking for is a fast responsive racket which gives a bit of power, enough but not too much shock absorption, not too flexy and not too stiff. I play mixed and mens, prefer the quick forecourt play but also find myself at the back of the court.

What would you recommend BC?

2. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Don't want much, do you?:D

All I can suggest is a two-pronged attack:

a) test three balances for a given stiffness,
    b) test three stiffnesses for a given balance

and you'll come up with the best balance and best stiffness. Then try rackets that have both, and find out which one has th best feel.

For a) you could fix, say, stiff, and try a Meteor JJS, AdiZero Pro and NR800, and for b), fix even balance and try an Arc 7, Arc 11 and Arc 8DX.

No way around it, really, unless you just happen to pick one at random that fits you!

3. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I think, that Mark A's mentioned way is a good idea, but I miss more variables. Frame profile, Headsize, etc, can have influences, too

Diverdan, did you gave every racket enough time to adjust? Some people can adjust quickly, some need a bit more time to get familiar. Well, I think a good racket to try is the BS12 or BS10. Not a special one shot racket. More a good allround racket.
    The Arc 8dx was too stiff, but you like the MX80 4U?:confused: This is confusing me. I think that the head weight of a 4U MX80 should very very close to the head weight of a Arc 8dx and the stiffness is also pretty close.

Maybe demo the BS12, BS10, MX80 (3U) and Arc 10 or 11. I wish you good luck, to find your perfect racket.

4. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

And this is before string and tension come into the picture...

5. maxout

maxout Regular Member

or ... you can go and try an "old" racquet called Yonex Carbonex 20 (or Carbonex 20sp) ... ;)

It may be "old" but it may be just what you are looking for ... happens to me ...

6. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    LOL, i knew this comment would show up eventually :)

7. maxout

maxout Regular Member

Hahaha :D ... haven't you heard the old saying, "Old is gold" ... :D

But seriously, I know how the OP feel, I have been down that road trying all sorts and eventually I still went back to my "old" trusted weapon ... and just to be safe, now I got 2 spares !!

8. gundamzaku

working professional
    some other things you could do besides what's been suggested is that if a racket is too head heavy, maybe you can train to be a bit stronger, or if a racket is not head heavy enough, maybe add a bit of tape at the racket head. it is always difficult to find a racket that would fit you exactly the way you want, especially if you are that picky in regards to the way it feels. some had asked how long you've tested out each racket, personally i think you might need a bit more time with some of the rackets.

i used the superwave35 for about 4 months, same string same tension, and i finally could get some power to smash from a jump that is behind the baseline...but maybe i'm a slow learner :(

9. gundamzaku

working professional

nice.........:p

10. senior888

senior888 Regular Member

Consultant
    I suggest you try Kumpoo Powershot F3700 Middle.

11. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

Maybe you are just "expecting too much" out of all the rackets that you tried and did not spend enough time trying to "master" each racket. Within 5-10 hours of gameplay if I cannot like the racket then I'll drop it. I have the same experience of trying over 20 rackets in 2 years period and there are some that I like more than the others. Don't try to find a holy grail in one racket only, maybe own 2-3 rackets that you like more so you can switch around when one racket does not feel "right" on that particular day.

Also, you should learn what kind of frame shape you like because different frame shapes somehow dictates how it feels at impact. Approximate stiffness you prefer or can optimally use. Also, don't always go for expensive/top of the line rackets. Most of them are good rackets but they are also harder to "master". My favorite rackets are inexpensive but decent rackets such as Astec PRO850(an awesome oldie), YY AT300 (old blue colour, a bit HH but easy to swing due to midflex shaft), Flypower Storm5900 (I tried their higher-ends but a bit too demanding for doubles play). I somehow feel that most of the newer rackets are either too light or too expensive to try out. Just my 2c

12. vajrasattva

vajrasattva Regular Member

it sounds like you are looking for an intermediate characteristic... typically racquets like the CAB20's right smack in the middle so it could be something worth looking at.

13. vajrasattva

vajrasattva Regular Member

stiffness is a strange parameter.. its not so easy to make sense of it if people just look at the standard way of measuring it..

after trying out tens of other racquets and owning about twenty racquets in collection now, the point where the racquet bends upon swinging and impact affects the feel significantly although the stiffness ratings of the racquets can be the same, i.e. stiff vs stiff. my current favourites, the at700 appears to flex closer to the handle, the vt80pg appears to flex closer to the top 2/3 of the shaft, the gosen shiden appear to flex closer to the base of the frame below the t-joint (probably due to the taper?), the at900 flexes close to the middle of the shaft, the ns7700 flexes close to the cone, the arc-z-slash and i-slash flexes closer to the cone, etc etc..

this is probably why by varying stiffness which seems to be a simple 3 variation i.e medium soft, vs stiff, vs extra stiff, is not sufficient to describe how a racquet plays.

the other strange parameter, is that i've figured for myself, that i need a decent amount of head weight, i'll initiate the racquet swing and the headweight does lead a little for me providing some acceleration, that feel only came with 3U racquets, vs the 4u of the same series, i consistently made more errors or had poorer returns with the 4U versions.

there's just so many interesting variations, aerodynamics of frame, frame impact feels, i.e. some are hard and non giving, some are cushy and bouncy etc.. i would say, just keep trying new things!

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Didn't Diverdan write the cab25sp was a nice racquet?:)

Older cab20 come in 2U.

Newer ones come in 3U so are slightly lighter.

I went back to cab20 after going through a few racquets (this is going back years ago). Only recently, I think it's a bit heavy but that's because I was playing doubles against a current international player. For doubles, I'd prefer a slightly stiffer racquet but heck, life is full of compromises.

#14 Cheung, Aug 5, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  15. visor

visor Regular Member

To add another dimension to the discussion, I'd suggest getting an accurate digital scale (200g +/- 0.01g, about $20 delivered from eBay) to keep track of your racket weights, bp and especially head wt. See my thread on how to measure head wt.

Once you narrow down your preferred range then it's a matter of choosing shaft stiffness and whether you like box or aero cross section.

Like many posters above, I had to go through about 20 rackets in the past 3 years before I finally found the right one. :)

Now it's time to go thru different strings and tensions. :D

16. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

It's NOT the RACKET, it's the mind. My suggestion is forget about choosing the BEST racket and ENJOY the game instead. ;)

17. Stealthking

Stealthking Regular Member

Every time you get a new racket, there is a little bit of time required for familiarisation. Even if you bought the latest and greatest, it will not be the same as what you previously used.

The only way to move forwards is as Sautom88 suggested, go buy the latest and greatest and just get used to in over 1-2 months....

18. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    you will never find a racket that is perfect or perfect for you.

If you find a racket that meets 70% of your requirement, it's a match made in heaven. Love it; Learn to adapt to it; and stick with it.

19. concretemad

concretemad Regular Member

engineer
    i thk prob wit human themselves too. on a good day, i wil play wit ns9900 while lousy day looking for at900p. if the done otber way, could disaster in making.

20. calvin_lei88

calvin_lei88 Regular Member

U need to train ur basics... a person with a heavy ancient racket can still beat a person with a vtzf or any expensive racket if he has good skills... rackets only give u 5 - 10% boost