Chinese know-how on singles training

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by dltgld, Aug 8, 2013.

1. dltgld

dltgld Regular Member

Korea is a doubles powerhouse. Big time.
    While there are some great players like Park Sung Hwan and Lee Hyun Il, it wasn't until Li Mao came along that Korean men's singles players really took off to a whole new level.
    Li Mao obviously taught Korean singles players... something.
    Yes, China is the most populated country on the planet, and there is bigger potential for drawing talented players.
    Still, they must also have the right kind of nurturing to be able to crank out generation after generation of powerhouse singles players, men and women.
    What is your opinion on this? In particular, any Chinese or who had Chinese training that could comment on this?

P.S. I know that Indonesia and Malaysia are just as great; it is just that I am fascinated with the Chinese methodology at the moment because of Li Mao.

2. ripper

ripper Regular Member

In China, traditionally, first class young talents go play singles; for others, good luck in their doubles career.

3. tigerlam92

tigerlam92 Regular Member

That was what I learned as well. Top player in China plays/is selected for singles first. Top player in Korea plays/is selected for doubles first.

I would also agree the training, coaching, national team focused, all are important for that aspect.

4. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    is it safe to say that singles would be the preferred game in China and thus has more emphasis?

5. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    It is very difficult for two Chinese to agree to anything, especial men, therefore, Chinese are in general not very good at team sports. Individual sports they excel, team sports they are not. For some unknown reasons, Chinese women are better than men in team sports.