Wrist Bands

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Yipom, Dec 22, 2003.

1. Yipom

Yipom Regular Member

I live in Vancouver, and i was wondering about Wristbands
    do they help you in anyway? is there a difference in the Brands and things like that?

2. Ashish

Ashish Regular Member

student
    helps me quite alot.. and plus.. i like the fashion =) always have to look good while playing.. i wear it in between my wrist and elbow.. but much closer towards elbow.. easier to wipe my sweat off my forehead..
    i have two white Yonex wristbands and
    Two black nike wristbands..

3. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    I bought a "HEAD" package that contained three rolls of grips and two wrist bands. I used them for the first few times and then I never use the bands after. At first it was troublesome to take them out of a small container in my bag before every game. I didn't bother afterwards.

In addition, after losing some weight, I never perspire as much as before... so never felt the need to use them at all. My CoolFit T-shirts took care of most of the perspiration. Also, I looked too much of a poser in them:p.

4. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

Depends how much you sweat.

I've lost weight and got fitter, and found that my hands don't sweat as much as they used to, but the rest of me sweats more. Lighter and fitter means I can go faster and for longer.

What I notice now is that my racquet hand gets sweaty from sweat that has run down my arm, so I wear a wristband on my racquet arm to prevent that.

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Same here. Also, the tight feeling from the band can some how help me in shot control. Maybe it's just like a mental issue, but surely works for me.

6. bottleneck

bottleneck Regular Member

sales
    Same here.

But now I have another problem. Before I used to play with a normal overgrip (non-slip), so I used the wristband to prevent sweat from running down on my hand and also to wipe my face.

I changed to towel grip and at this time of year (winter in Taiwan) I feel my hand is too dry, and my racket sometimes slips. In summer it's was OK (humidity and very hot).

I guess I need different over-grips, towel for summer, non-slip rubber for winter.

7. estib

estib Regular Member

It's the concept behind the akward looking shirt worn by Martina Hingis before (the right sleeve is long sleeve and the left is short sleeve). The idea behind is that the tight fit on the arm gives better awarness where you arm is therefore improving control, performance etc.

8. carlol

carlol Regular Member

entreprenuer
    they're most useful stopping sweat from dripping down your arm and then to your wrist and palm.

If you dont sweat that much, they're not really useful, coz the 'compression', in my opinion is negligible.

When i dont wear wristbands, i have to wipe my wrist and palm on the dry part of my shirt to keep my grip secure, especially if experimenting with the pinky grip... sweaty palms make the pinky grip feel like the racket will fly off.

:)

9. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I never know even pro(s) using the same theory.

For yrs, every time I forgot to bring my wrist band, my shots went wild. So, wrist band, knee pad and ankel support (new "gear", :( ) are the first ones I packed into the bag.