User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Is it useful or appropriate to use ankle weights?

Hi,

Im thinking of getting some ankle weights to train my leg strength and speed for badminton, but I wonder if it is a useful and appropriate thing to do? What I mean is that whether it is effective or cause harm to my leg? Is it appropriate that I wear it and play it in a game? Any advices are welcome!! Thank you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't use it during game, as the movements are not consistent.
    Instead, use it for shadow footwork, or off court training for specific muscles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Agile_Monkey View Post
    Don't use it during game, as the movements are not consistent.
    Instead, use it for shadow footwork, or off court training for specific muscles.
    Thank you!! Yea I should only use it for training instead of during the game in case I might injured myself.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've seen several county juniors use weight jackets, but never wrist or ankle weights.

Remember, due to the dynamic (i.e. high acceleration) nature of badminton, you're putting several times the weight through your ankle joints.

Personally, I think the injury risk is unacceptable. However, it's your career...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Line & Length View Post
    I've seen several county juniors use weight jackets, but never wrist or ankle weights.

Remember, due to the dynamic (i.e. high acceleration) nature of badminton, you're putting several times the weight through your ankle joints.

Personally, I think the injury risk is unacceptable. However, it's your career...
    Yes I have thought about that before so I would not want to risk getting injured. Thank for your advice

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it should be okay to do it gradually with jogging where the impact is pretty light and repetitive. Haven't used ankle weights myself so can't really comment too surely. But weight jackets are very good for balancing your core muscles, you essentially have to use the correct posture while lunging and so on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps it would be more safe to go to the fitness center!?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had used an extra silicon insole in yonex shoes in addition to the original insoles. They are quite heavy and can serve your purpose. Little risk of twisting your ankle, but it is subjective and depends on the shoes too. My purpose was different as I was searching for a remedy for my shin splints, until I came to know about customized insoles.