What we need here is some PERSPECTIVE

Discussion in 'World Championship 2013' started by Maklike Tier, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    Okay there's been a lot of ridiculous comments posted about the WC and I'd like to suggest at this juncture some impartial PERSPECTIVE of the tournament, hopefully free of any bias, rampant fanboi-ism, or really dumb conspiracy theories from the peanut gallery.

First up, I think it's really important to keep in PERSPECTIVE that this tournament was perhaps the most entertaining and thrilling tournament of recent times. I don't know about you, but I watched every single game, and for the finals I was glued to the couch for literally 6 hours. Every game of the finals was an absolute edge-of-the-seat affair and I had the best time ever as a spectator of this event.

During the WC finals, we had a spirited and interesting WD match. Now I will confess to never usually bothering to watch WD, but Jang and Eom especially to me were an interesting and dynamic pair.

In the MD, I was surprised to see the Danes in the mix, but all credit to Ahsan and Setiawan - they are just playing such fast and dynamic badminton at the moment that they're an absolute joy to watch. I really appreciate the passion which Ahsan especially plays with, and how emotional he gets on the podium. He's such a humble and warm role model and I think badminton is all the better for it.

In terms of WS, is there any appropriate adjectives? Ratchanok is like a bright light, just an amazing player at such a young age, so humble and fast and inventive....again, the words seem inadequate. Let's not get caught up in the semantics of whether she's the youngest to ever win a WC or not, it hardly matters. It's her performance we'll be talking about in the years to come as pivotal, spearheading what I agree is an exciting time for womens' badminton.

Exciting times? I wish I could say the same for men's badminton. Despite the drama of LCW's shock exit on a stretcher, there were a handful of great matches this week. JOJ vs TMN comes to mind as an absolute thriller. But the matches we expected to be thrillers, weren't. LD vs CL match was an absolute yawnfest, and frankly whilst the final was tense, it wasn't tense because it was thrilling and dynamic. It was an exercise in the minutae, of micro-managing every point, of precision and clockwork like tactics.

In a way - and this is going to make me extremely unpopular - I'm looking forward to a world with a retired LD and LCW. Last night was the pivotal match for me, where in all honesty I felt dirty watching it. It was like watching two gladiators fight to the death, a sort of perverse bloodsport for our grotty entertainment. And really, I'm not a super fanboi of either, but I can see how the outcome has started with the usual tirade of dribble from the fanbois about injustice and conspiracy, and the equally as lame parroting of the slogan-like "Super Dan is the best ever!" by the LD fans.

It's really overly simplistic, counter-productive, and frankly stupid dialogue to even be having, especially in light of the fantastic other matches that deserve our attention, you could easily argue more than the attention lavished on the MS final which was a strange, dirty slug-fest that I'm literally finding myself emotionally reeling from. Let us all look at the facts, declare that it cannot be logically argued in any way that Lin Dan is NOT the best men's singles player of all time, and give credit to LCW for being the 'working' man of men's badminton, an absolute fighter and a superb role model. Let's not take that away from him. Let LD be the freak, and let LCW be the human face of badminton. Asking either to be anything else because of your own rabid fanboi-ism is plain unfair.

So yes....some PERSPECTIVE at this juncture would be good.

:D

2. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    .....or then again we could add another few more pages of comments to the 'air-conditioning' thread.

:(

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    when your post is well written and contents are agreeable, there tend to be less disagreement and thus less contention and less posts.

just want to say that i agree with what you said. thanks. :)

4. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    I guess I was surprised I didn't get flamed by all the fans :)

5. Gigabit

Gigabit Regular Member

Banker
    Well, perhaps they are still active at other threads

6. sen

sen Regular Member

I agree with many of the perspectives above.

First, Korean WD, I was not that interested to watch them against QT/ZYL on semifinal so I turn on the TV but was doing other work. But I suddenly noticed that their playing style is different from other WD. Where were they before?

So in the final, I watched from the beginning and that was quite entertaining compared to usual WD matches.

WS final is another unexpected result but the final is not as enjoyable to watch compared to Inthanon vs Marin.

Mixed doubles final is full of suspense. Too bad I had to go in the middle of 3rd game and follow the game on radio. The next day, I watched the last part on youtube and I think after XC/MJ got championship match point, Natsir/Towi seemed like playing without burden and becomes better.

Missed the MD final completely, when I came back it was MS final. My view is that this is no longer like Olympic final or 2011 WC final. Both seemed to save some energy in the beginning.

Overall, I think the final live up to the expectation but I still prefer to watch team event, even though in the past few years, the final is almost always too one-sided. Hopefully next team event will be less one-sided.