So I went to a badminton club today for the first time...

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by tropicalmouse, Dec 22, 2003.

1. tropicalmouse

tropicalmouse Regular Member

Student
    It was... all right

Everyone seemed to be very quiet and a little... pretentious? One guy snubbed my handshake and introduction, and when I held the door open for this girl she just looked at me. Oh, and he charged me $2 per plastic birdie...

So yeah it went all right otherwise, I figured out where I feel I have difficulty on the courts:

-How should I move backwards?
    A) run backwards
    B) shuffle backwards leadign with my racquet foot

-Where do you generate backhand power? Are you supposed to push with your thumb?

And it kindof sucks because I have no one who'll play with me. I have a friend that's quite a bit better than me, and therefore is reluctant to play against me but that's it really :/ I mean not too many badminton fans around these parts...

Also I get the feeling that because I'm not the best player I'm not wanted at the badminton club... I don't know... badminton players (stereotype) are kindof rude and full of ?

How am I supposed to reach their level of greatness if I have nowhere to play?

And yeah, I'm talking to a bunch of badminton players... but you guys are different... yeah...

2. xofrevlis

xofrevlis Regular Member

Student
    Sounds like you found something a bit more than just your ordinary badminton club. At least it doesn't have a social air about it, from what I'm getting anyway. Some things just can't be helped, really. If everyone takes the game seriously, then it most probably is inevitable that they'll only want good players. Most people stand by the theory that the only way you'll improve is to play opposition with similar or greater ability to your own.
    If you find that going to this club is of no avail to you either socially or badminton wise, it's better to leave and look elsewhere, I would think.
    If you want to make rapid ground on the better players, then surely getting a coach to point you in the direction is a good idea.
    I've seen you post quite a number questions around the board and it makes me think that you can't identify and improve weaknesses by your own accord, hence the suggestion to get a coach to do all that for you.

As for your question:
    Running back is a no no. Your back is to the net, you'll have to swing yourself 180 degrees to play the shot and be ready for the next. Not to mention that you lose sight of your opponent.
    At six foot three, I really don't think you would need to run back too much anyway. Therefore shuffling backwards is always the best option.
    When I shuffle back, there is no leading foot though. I get much better distance taking back steps like I would forward steps since I'm not dragging my non-leading foot around.
    But of course, everyone is different. If you can shuffle back with a leading foot and get into position to play the shot in time, then by all means do it. If you struggle with backsteps, you probably need to build up your muscles in your legs to get more kick and spring out of them.

Backhand techniques out there will vary to a degree.
    The way I play it, and I do so pretty effectively be it drives, smashes or clears:
    My power is generated from three rotational points in my arm. Shoulder, elbow and wrist.
    My starting position would be the arm directily in front of my body elbow bent, racket facing downwards, positioned to the left of my left leg.
    The exection would go something like this:
    Shoulder jerk to bring my arm away from my body, elbow straightens out my arm, and then wrist to flick the racket with my thumb pushing through.
    I would never straighten my arm fully though. It seems like power dissipates through my elbow if I do that and I can hardly get any follow through on it at all.

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    sounds like you are a beginner as you ask many elementary questions. some of these questions are hard to answer in words. i suggest you go to these clubs more and instead of playing, sit there and look at the good players, for every question you ask, you can get a "free" answer from these players, do you see them run backwards? or do they shuttle backwards? there you have your answer.

unfortunately, many ppl prefer not to play with someone that is of very different skill level, that's just a fact of life, either find the ppl who do, or try to look for ppl of your level. if everybody in that club you went to are far superior in skill than you, then i recommend you find a club with more beginners and improve with them.

4. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Tropicalmouse,

Don't take it too badly. Everybody has to start somewhere, and almost everybody has similar experience as yourself when starting out in a new club. Look at it from other people's POV, they don't know you and they don't feel comfortable partnering up with a beginner with all the inherent risks (damage to racquets, bodily injuries or even bruised pride for your partner). Established groups/cliques in the club are comfortable with one another... not with newcomers unless they are introduced by someone in the group.

I agree with Kwun. There's really little you can do except be patient and improve your skill by observation and practice by yourself. If there's really nobody around your level to play with, you may have better chance of playing in other more sociable clubs. Good luck!

#4 cappy75, Dec 23, 2003
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2003
  5. SmashingBird

SmashingBird Regular Member

Student, Badminton-student
    RICHMOND BC...ne hot girls from richmond that play
    Do that Peter Gade trick shot of yours which you can do 3 or 4 times a game with your eyes closed and you are odd to attract enough attention. People will definately come play with you after seeing you pull that shot off.

6. Traum

Traum Regular Member

Care to tell us which club did you go to?

-Rick

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Don't get upset, since this is just your 1st time visit a public club. No one can be "Mr. Popular" or "Mr. Best" on their visit to a brand new place:

1. If you are already a long time member, and some stranger just came in from nowhere, will you just jump on him, and kept talking with him for hours, even your 2 never met before?

2. Don't push too hard on the skill issue, u can't jump from the bottom to be the top in one day. However, you need to show that you are trying (to be known for the "fighting spirit"), and try to stay to be competitive. Overall, all members pay for the sessions, and no one wants to waste their time to play against ppl who's not even trying. Sometimes, it might feel hurt, since your opponent might be way better than u. Well, find the ones who are relatively close in skill level.

3. There are always nice ones and tough ones around. You can figure out who's who after several more visit. Go with the nice group, and at least you will have more buddies around.

4. Build your own reputation. If you have some good skill, of course, that will be much easier. However, there are other ways to do it. For example, I am not anywhere near the top in skill, but I have a "big mouth" :D . I like to talk, and willing to help if I can (set up equipment, clean up court, doing re-string services, give advice on equipment if I know, etc). This way, even though, I still can't be the best in skill, but started to getting popular around the group, and having more buddies to talk during breaks.

5. It's hard at the beginning, but once you start with it, more and more good stuff will come to you.

6. Big gap of skill difference in between will make the games to be less competitive, and to a lot of skillful players, will be less fun. Therefore, if everyone else in that club is way too good for you, maybe switch to a less compeptitive club to get some basic training first.

#7 LazyBuddy, Dec 23, 2003
  8. tropicalmouse

Student
    I pulled the Peter Gade shot off a couple of times but they weren't looking.

And I'm not even that bad. It's not like I miss the birdie or anything.

And the reason I ask so many questions instead of trying to figure them out myself, is because I don't want to learn with bad technique.

Anyway thanks.

#8 tropicalmouse, Dec 23, 2003
  9. tropicalmouse

Student
    Re: Re: So I went to a badminton club today for the first time...

No, but I wouldn't ignore a handshake and walk away... and who said I wanted to talk to him for hours? Or even at all? It's called being polite. And to answer your question, I would!

There seem only to be people who beat me or people who I'll crush... the people who I crush don't play much badminton. And as for the skill level, I'm not pushing at all, The questions I ask I try to apply in my game.

Yeah, but there aren't many places around here to play badminton, that was the main one pretty much...

Oh, you guys assumed I played against these people, I didn't.

yeah

They don't exist :/

anyway thanks for your input

10. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Hmmm...

I agree that just ignore a handshake it's kinda odd (or, maybe rude, depend on the situation).

And it's also odd that most of our suggestions (not just mine) seems not really working for you (did you tried that before? or, just think?). Maybe this particular place is really not suit for you. I can understand there might not be too many choices around, but maybe a new one is better than an already proven "bad" one?

No offense, but still wondering how you can draw an conclusion just after 1 visit. ;) :rolleyes:

11. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    if u want to learn the right techniques, you must do ALL of the following:

- watch better players in action (real or video)
    - do drills
    - get coaching
    - play games
    - surf BF
    - fitness training

So far it seem like you have only done 1.5 items from the above list. Quite inadequate IMO.

12. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I never meant to question about your skill, but:

1. Tricky shot is good, only with consistency and solid basic strokes as the fundamentals.

2. Just not miss the shuttle is still far away from being consistent. No offense. As I still could "miss" (stupid mistakes, etc) as of today. :D

3. To get along with a group, it's not necessary require of some "show off" or superior skill.

4. Do the simple things first, and 1 step at a time, both skill and mental improvement.

Best of luck. ;)

13. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Originally posted by tropicalmouse
    I pulled the Peter Gade shot off a couple of times but they weren't looking

i dont want to sound harsh but
    have you asked yourself why they don't look at you?;)

14. fallen

fallen Regular Member

cooler, you're so mean. :p i can relate with you tropical since i'm a beginner myself. it's just going to take a lot time and practice to get better.

15. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

I think this to do with "consistency".

If someone just seldom has one or two good shots / games (like I do, :) ), then, him/her won't be considered as "good" yet.

If someone (not necessary as good as P. Gade) can perform on a more consistent base, unless the entire gym just on purposely ignore him/her, he and she will soon be recongized as the "star".

That's the difference between a star and a "flash light" (I even could not be the 2nd one, hmmm... :D )

16. tropicalmouse

Student
    Look the only difference between me and Gade--when we do the trick shot-- is that he doesn't hit it into the ground...

(I was being sarcastic btw)

Maybe I'll look into some coaching...

17. cooler

cooler Regular Member

So then why did u say "I pulled the Peter Gade shot off a couple of times but they weren't looking." when you actually didn't replicate the shots :rolleyes:

18. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    hardcore badminton players are into the fundamentals of the game. solid fundamentals of the game. trick shots wear down after a while, 90% of the time, they are pretty useless, while solid fundamentals will bring you far in your badminton journey.

if you walk into a badminton gym first time, and then you are a beginner who can't reply a shot that is lower than your arm height, and on top of that you start playing all these trick shots. it is understandable that no one is taking you seriously.

think about it.

19. tropicalmouse

Student

Actually, I was being sarcastic about that.

20. tropicalmouse

Student
    I actually have all of that if school counts... but that's like once a week...