Serving faults related to net touch by shuttle

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by Eddiechong, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Eddiechong

Eddiechong Regular Member

I got a query for net touch by shuttle while serving. Will it be called let?

All criterias are met for serving while serving but
    Instance 1. The shuttle hits the net top and falls on the receiver service court. Will it be called let.
    Instance 2. The shuttle hits the net top and falls on the receiver court but not on the receiver service court. Will it be called let.

Or when will be called let on serving.
    Thanking you for reading.

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    no let on serving.

if the shuttle touches net and it landed in, it is in. if it landed out, it is out.

3. Nauroa

Nauroa Regular Member

IT Geek
    If the receiver lets the shuttle drop, indicating he or she wasn't ready. Won't the umpire call a let?
    I can't remember if a let is called or they just redo the serve. :eek:

4. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

During service, a let is only called when there is an interference to play (e.g. shuttle from neighbouring court falls onto court in question) or if the receiver is not ready and clearly indicates this before attempting to play the shuttle (e.g. by raising a hand).

5. amleto

amleto Regular Member

Wrong. The receiver does not need to indicate they are not ready. If they attempt to play the shuttle at all, then they are deemed to be ready.

6. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

What I meant was, clearly indicate that they are not ready without attempting to play the shuttle.

The receiver DOES need to indicate they are not ready.

#6 llpjlau, Aug 13, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  7. amleto

amleto Regular Member

No they don't. It is not in the rules anywhere. They do not have to actively indicate they are not ready. e.g. they can be talking to partner, or looking at the floor. It is umpires decision. The player DOES NOT need to indicate non-readyness.

8. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

Good luck trying to get an umpire to call a let if you just stand there and stare at the shuttle.

You do not necessarily have to indicate that you are not ready but it sure helps your case if you do. If you are obviously talking to your partner and the opponent serves, then it is obvious that you are not ready. What if it's not obvious? Do you just stand there and not indicate at all? How many umpires will likely call a let if you do that?

Anyway, this is getting off topic. I believe the initial questions have been answered.

#8 llpjlau, Aug 13, 2013
  9. amleto

amleto Regular Member

Just admit when you're wrong...

10. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

The rules may not explicitly state that you have to indicate that you are not ready, but please enlighten us how an umpire is going to call a let if you just stand there and stare at the shuttle?

P.S.
    The fact that I phrased my statement somewhat wrongly does not diminish the fact that it would be very difficult for an umpire to award a let if you not show that you are not ready. Common sense dictates that you indicate to the umpire to explicitly show that you are not ready. Otherwise, who is going to automatically award you a let if it was not obvious that you were not ready?

#10 llpjlau, Aug 13, 2013
  11. rattos

rattos Regular Member

i think most umpires will expect a hand gesture. If players start saying they are not ready when they are stunned by a flick serve or a serve to the side lines, then its just going to be a mess. And honestly, if the player is in position and then starts watching the floor or talks with his partner without a hand sign to his opponent, it is his fault. Even if the player gets distracted by the opponent like in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjeGAAAJLJk, there is nothing in the rules that says it is a fault or a let, the umpire is free to decide whether he will allow it or not.

12. Eddiechong

Eddiechong Regular Member

Thank you all for helping me understand my query. I got it.