recovery time for ligament(ACL)

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by carvalhosa, Aug 13, 2013.

1. carvalhosa

carvalhosa Regular Member

service industry
    I just went through a knee reconstruct(torn of ACL) operation.:crying:
    Just wanna know how long it takes before can start playing again:confused:
    Doctor advice is 9months to 1 year before start playing again:eek:
    Anyone can share their experience of recovery time here?:rolleyes:

2. georgsi_uk1

georgsi_uk1 Regular Member

9 months to 1 year is a reasonable time for recovery from ACL reconstruction. I waited around 8 months to start playing again after my consultant gave go ahead..It also depends on the consulant and rehab done post surgery.. Professionals usually get back into training sessions much quicker as they go through a tougher rehab than us, non professionals...

Give enough time for your new ligament to get strong otherwise you might end up having a retear.

3. georgsi_uk1

georgsi_uk1 Regular Member

9 months to 1 year is a reasonable time for recovery from ACL reconstruction. I waited around 8 months to start playing again after my consultant gave go ahead..It also depends on the consulant and rehab done post surgery.. Professionals usually get back into training sessions much quicker as they go through a tougher rehab than us, non professionals...

Give enough time for your new ligament to get strong otherwise you might end up having a retear.

4. carvalhosa

service industry
    Thanks! georgsi_uk1,i will take note on that.
    Just feel very depressing cos cant play at this moment.
    Cant wait to get fit n start playing again

5. smashmaniac

smashmaniac Regular Member

hey dude. as i had always said to u. rent a court. call up your trusted buddy and do a drive stroke without moving your feet will do. it can ease down your eagerness :p else when u come back to KL, do let me know. i could entertain u with that drive stroke. :p

6. carvalhosa

service industry
    Lol! Thanks,buddy!I will text u when I able to walk comfortably.Now I have to concentrate on my recovery.Hope I can get back faster.I see u soon.

7. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Yes, took me about 9 months before I felt physically ready to play again, and about 12 months before I felt "mentally" ready!

8. Ython

Ython Regular Member

I started move around 4 months+. I get back full playing after 6 months. Right now, I feel pain on the join not because of ligament but cartilage may damaged long time ago before ACL reconstuction.

9. visor

visor Regular Member

Agree with above posters. 8-12 months depending on your rehab and conditioning and level of play. If you start sooner, you'll need a custom fit fibreglass knee brace to protect and stabilize.

10. carvalhosa

service industry
    Wow! Thanks for all d valuable feedback!I will take note on that! I will update more on my recovery progress!

11. carvalhosa

service industry
    It been 7 weeks,my progress of recovery is doing fine.I able to walk around without any support.
    Now im doing my my strengthening exercise at the gym.Hope by 4 months i will able to start light exercise.I will update more on my progress

12. ccw90

ccw90 New Member

May I know which hospital do you went to? Is it in Malaysia? I have injured my knee few years back. I believe it is my ligament because when i playing exciting sports, especially changing direction of my body, there is high possibility that my knee cap will be twisted/turn around but what i need to do is to rest for 5 mins then i will be able to walk again.

13. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

my doubles partner was on court roughly 3 months after surgery (only light training, hitting some birds, no footwork envolved...). after 4 or 5 months he joined the normal training and after half a year he played league matches again.

crucial is rehab from day 1 after surgery. he did physio-therapy 3-4 times a week and then a lot of strength training as soon as the knee allows it.

the more you invest, the earlier you can come back... (of course you should stay sensible and reasonable and not overdo it...)

14. carvalhosa

service industry
    ccw90: i do my ops at Raffles Hospital.
    I_footwork_I: 4-6 months to start league matches is really very fast.Good for your partner.
    Now is my coming 3 months,and i able to run a lil,but still very slow on court.
    Guess i need more strength training before i really play in competitive level

15. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

But I have to say that he put A LOT of work into it. He did a lot of physio, strength training, stretching...
    Still, you probably need some luck to recover that fast.

16. aubrey

aubrey Regular Member

Hey there. Into the 5th week after my acl recon with cartilage 20% damaged. What do you do in the first 2 mths after the op? I'm following my physio instruction but surgeon's worried bout over pushing it. Do you get pain or any stress in the knee?

When you say run a lil, it's jogging? Or you started moving in court? To start playing in 3 mths is very soon. And risky... do watch the knee.

Cheers

17. carvalhosa

service industry
    Aubrey:Tis is my coming 4th months n doc advice me to do jogging n cross trainer,tis can strengthen your muscles without any risk of injuries as running on court movements unlike jogging with 1 direction n controled movement.

18. carvalhosa

service industry
    My 4th months
    Recovery progress
    -Slow jogging n cross trainer
    -Light movement on court
    -Skipping

19. jasontyh

jasontyh Regular Member

Engineer
    Time flies. Carvalhosa if i may ask, u do physio everyday? either at the therapist or at home? U do upper body workouts? also, body weight, how did the surgery affect ur body shape?

i'm opted for ACL Reconstruction too. i'm still patiently waiting for the surgeon.

20. carvalhosa

service industry
    Hi!Jason, I'm sorry to hear that u need to go for surgery.Going for d ops is not as painful as post ops.As I can't do any sports.I don't do physiotherapy everyday.I do it only once a month(I'm lazy) but I learn from every session of physio n do it at home.On maintaining my body shape,Im lil lucky cos I don't put on weight easily.