Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the link, Jonc108
    http://sports.sina.cn/?sa=d5353596t2...node_id=234340

A long article, I suppose you're referring to this last part:

Give birth to a baby,live happily,play another 10 years,use own way to persist in badminton

As a guest at the end of a satellite TV interview, Super Dan was asked by the TV host to select three wishes for the future and his answer is:Have a baby, a happy life, and play another 10 years. Need not say more about the first two options, as to the third one, Lin Dan explained as follows:"I hope to be able to prolong my professional career as much as possible, but have also never said words like must take part in Rio Olympic Games , I just want to use my own way to persist in badminton."

Certain media once described Lin Dan as a heretic, "a young man inside China's special sports system showing how he self-reflects, cultivates and perfect himself in the process." Lin Dan felt that for the past 30 years, there has been a visible or invisible hand pushing him forward, now entering his 30s, the time has come for him to take charge of his own life.

During the half year away from competition, Lin Dan enjoyed the time spent with his family, " also fortunately, I found the goals to strive for at the next stage." Lin Dan is targeting the China Badminton (Clubs) Super League (CBSL). From Athens to Beijing and to London, a four-year Olympic cycle, a four-year once rebirth(reincarnation), Lin Dan is determined to jump out of this circle linked circle game.

"A sports mode based on winning gold as the aim is a huge waste of resources.If it is solely for the gold medal, then only a handful of people get to stand at the spire. But if the professional league is properly done, those below the spire(pinnacle) will also obtain opportunities." The league not only offers the great majority of players a platform to display their self-worth, it also gives the veterans space to extend their professional careers.

So far in his role as competitor, Lin Dan has deeply felt the psychological pressure of representing the country, yet BWF's schedule is dense , for example, the European events, three weeks to play 14,15 matches. But domestic league won't be so terribly busy, one week at most two matches, the burden will be much smaller. Lin Dan even invited Peter Gade, Taufik Hidayat to join the league, "if there's a club to offer an olive branch, I believe they will be interested. With their participation, the influence of CBSL will be greatly different, and fans will have the opportunities to continue to enjoy their performances on court."

"As to how to develop a project even better, you still have to throw it to the market." But Lin Dan doesn't entertain excessive hopes or act like a type of revolutionary, only wishing to do what is right and appropriate for a 30-year-old, " hoping through his effort to let everybody set their eyes more on the weekday league than stare fixedly at the quadrennial Olympic Games." Lin Dan is looking forward to, after taking the first step himself, be able to hear the footsteps of generations to follow. As the saying goes, road is made by people walking on the ground.

Repeatedly saying "Gold medal is not the one and only" but when it comes to his near-term goals, as if by inertia force, Lin Dan would reply:" The League Championships ! I haven't tasted the flavour of being League Champion."

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why not he try to win Olympic gold in men doubles and mixed doubles... Then he will surely be Goat

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by andrewtcho View Post
    I think there is one more motivation for Lin Dan: It is to beat Peter Gade (I think he is) as the oldest player in the arena. This is also a challenge to himself both physically and emotionally. He'll need a number of years to achieve this objective.
    Thanks,I like this one, very good. He's said before that he admires Mr Evergreen, Peter Gade, for his longevity and wants to emulate him. Hope Lin Dan really means it but there's still a long way to go for him. Way to go!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pcll99 View Post
    Badzine reports that Lin Dan has entered the Dutch Open..

http://www.badzine.net/news/lin-dan-...ch-open/26699/
    Dutch Open GP, what a surprise. @bad's fan , you're spot-on, Lin Dan is listening to you!

Unfortunately, for September there'll be no tournament for him other than the Chinese National Games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LD also interviewed by Badzine recently:

http://www.badzine.net/features/supe...badzine/26686/

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonc108 View Post
    LD also interviewed by Badzine recently:

http://www.badzine.net/features/supe...badzine/26686/
    Worth a read.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Money

[QUOTE=Justin L;2130516]After Lin Dan's WC'13 triumph, his 5th world title, what's next for him? What are his plans,if any, for the future in terms of badminton? What new challenges might he have to face going forward?

If I may take the liberty of some speculative thoughts on Lin Dan:

1) Henceforth will his motivation starts to wane and he gradually loses interest even in playing and beating Lee CW, his old foe and archrival? Maybe, more likely not. Is it familiarity breeds contempt or you keep me going? Perhaps Lin Dan really needs new incentives;

2) The moment Xie Xingfang is pregnant and after she's given birth, will he become even more family-first and family-oriented at the expense of his badminton? Quite certain of this;

3) the age-old question, will he really carry on till Rio'16 Olympics? I suspect not as I feel Chen Long wants it more;perhaps Lee CW's decision may influence his;

4) for sure he'll continue to be selective in the tournaments he play, maybe even fewer than before, so can his ranking get back into top 3 in time for the next Olympic cycle? A ranking that's not even in the top 10 would pose tricky problems justifying his selection for the next Olympics, esp when I expect the quota by then may be only two per nation (please avoid casting the usual,stale anti-CHN slur of ranking manipulation);

5) Will Chen Long overtake Lee CW to be his number one threat and rival soon? I believe so. Though I've no doubt Lin Dan can maintain his new rallying style of play for quite a while, it won't be long before his rivals start figuring him out to a certain extent. Let's see how Lin Dan can continue to fine-tune and tweak his game as only he could.

I for one will rule out an impending retirement for him now that he's just won his 5th world title, at least not for the next 1 - 2 years. So for the time being I won't talk about his retirement plans except to mention that Li Yongbo has expressed his desire to get Lin Dan interested in coaching to which Lin Dan has resisted at this stage.

Feel free to add your own thoughts or respond to mine or both.[/

In terms of a marketing brand, Lindan has reached a new high after he won the wc title. His sponsorship money in counted in 100 m RMBs. He also know once he stops playing the sport, that level of income will go down very quickly. So Lindan has every incentive continue to be in the sport, not playing too much to extend his career longevity, and win big tournaments like wc and Olympics

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will Lin Dan follow the footstep of Li Ning and start his own brand??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My personal feeling is that LD will continue to play at least until 2016. He has converted his style successfully. His control on the shuttle is getting better and better. He can send it to wherever he wants and at whatever speed he decides. He still won WC without playing many international games and without many smashes. He is the class of his own. He committed himself to keep up his stamina even if he didn't play international games. He will continue to do so. I think he would maintain his stamina at least for two years and with good effort for three years. To me he is still hot favourite for gold in WC for next two years and Rio 2016 if there is no interruption from LYB. His main opponent in next few years will change gradually from LCW to Chen Long.

[QUOTE=mikewang1975;2133152]
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin L View Post
    After Lin Dan's WC'13 triumph, his 5th world title, what's next for him? What are his plans,if any, for the future in terms of badminton? What new challenges might he have to face going forward?

If I may take the liberty of some speculative thoughts on Lin Dan:

1) Henceforth will his motivation starts to wane and he gradually loses interest even in playing and beating Lee CW, his old foe and archrival? Maybe, more likely not. Is it familiarity breeds contempt or you keep me going? Perhaps Lin Dan really needs new incentives;

2) The moment Xie Xingfang is pregnant and after she's given birth, will he become even more family-first and family-oriented at the expense of his badminton? Quite certain of this;

3) the age-old question, will he really carry on till Rio'16 Olympics? I suspect not as I feel Chen Long wants it more;perhaps Lee CW's decision may influence his;

4) for sure he'll continue to be selective in the tournaments he play, maybe even fewer than before, so can his ranking get back into top 3 in time for the next Olympic cycle? A ranking that's not even in the top 10 would pose tricky problems justifying his selection for the next Olympics, esp when I expect the quota by then may be only two per nation (please avoid casting the usual,stale anti-CHN slur of ranking manipulation);

5) Will Chen Long overtake Lee CW to be his number one threat and rival soon? I believe so. Though I've no doubt Lin Dan can maintain his new rallying style of play for quite a while, it won't be long before his rivals start figuring him out to a certain extent. Let's see how Lin Dan can continue to fine-tune and tweak his game as only he could.

I for one will rule out an impending retirement for him now that he's just won his 5th world title, at least not for the next 1 - 2 years. So for the time being I won't talk about his retirement plans except to mention that Li Yongbo has expressed his desire to get Lin Dan interested in coaching to which Lin Dan has resisted at this stage.

Feel free to add your own thoughts or respond to mine or both.[/

In terms of a marketing brand, Lindan has reached a new high after he won the wc title. His sponsorship money in counted in 100 m RMBs. He also know once he stops playing the sport, that level of income will go down very quickly. So Lindan has every incentive continue to be in the sport, not playing too much to extend his career longevity, and win big tournaments like wc and Olympics

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=jkkwongnz;2136184]My personal feeling is that LD will continue to play at least until 2016. He has converted his style successfully. His control on the shuttle is getting better and better. He can send it to wherever he wants and at whatever speed he decides. He still won WC without playing many international games and without many smashes. He is the class of his own. He committed himself to keep up his stamina even if he didn't play international games. He will continue to do so. I think he would maintain his stamina at least for two years and with good effort for three years. To me he is still hot favourite for gold in WC for next two years and Rio 2016 if there is no interruption from LYB. His main opponent in next few years will change gradually from LCW to Chen Long.

I concur. But regarding Rio'16, LD in his last interview made it clear that he never insisted on taking part in the next Olympics which may come a bit of a surprise to many. In other words, when LD says he'll play until Rio'16, it doesn't necessarily mean inclusive of the Olympics.

But he did say that he would want to be involved in badminton for the next 10 years and expressed keen interest in the professional leagues, particularly the CBSL. Personally I'll be intrigued to see him attempt to surpass Peter Gade in longevity - can we imagine LD playing until age 40 ?!

Meanwhile we'l just have to get used to a more laid-back LD who nevertheless would still be a force to be reckoned with for quite some time into the future. I recall Peter Gade once said that LD has what it takes and if he sets his mind on it he'll achieve it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The problem is that he does not always tell the truth in front of the media. We have to predict his intention by what Rio 2016 means to him and is he still able to play the top badminton at age of 32? If three olympics gold medalist means that he have a good chance to get laureus award for the first time, I think he will strive for it. Does he has the ability to get the gold? I think he does. The most difficult part is to keep up his stamina but I think he can do it with a good trainer. He will show the world how to be a champion even if he is getting old. In my opinion, LD only start fading away after 2016.

[QUOTE=Justin L;2136189]
    Quote Originally Posted by jkkwongnz View Post
    My personal feeling is that LD will continue to play at least until 2016. He has converted his style successfully. His control on the shuttle is getting better and better. He can send it to wherever he wants and at whatever speed he decides. He still won WC without playing many international games and without many smashes. He is the class of his own. He committed himself to keep up his stamina even if he didn't play international games. He will continue to do so. I think he would maintain his stamina at least for two years and with good effort for three years. To me he is still hot favourite for gold in WC for next two years and Rio 2016 if there is no interruption from LYB. His main opponent in next few years will change gradually from LCW to Chen Long.

I concur. But regarding Rio'16, LD in his last interview made it clear that he never insisted on taking part in the next Olympics which may come a bit of a surprise to many. In other words, when LD says he'll play until Rio'16, it doesn't necessarily mean inclusive of the Olympics.

But he did say that he would want to be involved in badminton for the next 10 years and expressed keen interest in the professional leagues, particularly the CBSL. Personally I'll be intrigued to see him attempt to surpass Peter Gade in longevity - can we imagine LD playing until age 40 ?!

Meanwhile we'l just have to get used to a more laid-back LD who nevertheless would still be a force to be reckoned with for quite some time into the future. I recall Peter Gade once said that LD has what it takes and if he sets his mind on it he'll achieve it.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=jkkwongnz;2136486]The problem is that he does not always tell the truth in front of the media. We have to predict his intention by what Rio 2016 means to him and is he still able to play the top badminton at age of 32? If three olympics gold medalist means that he have a good chance to get laureus award for the first time, I think he will strive for it. Does he has the ability to get the gold? I think he does. The most difficult part is to keep up his stamina but I think he can do it with a good trainer. He will show the world how to be a champion even if he is getting old. In my opinion, LD only start fading away after 2016.

Good that you mentioned the Laureus Award, it's something he's expressed strong views about, I believe he'll strive for it.

So for now,what's next for him seems to be:

1) Have a baby and live happily;

2) Play and get involved with badminton for another 10 years and attempt to surpass Peter Gade for longevity as the new Mr Evergreen one day;

3) Win his third Chinese National Games Men's Singles Championship (now ongoing) which will be another record for him;

4) Strive to gain the Laureus World Sports Award;

5) Continue to promote badminton and raise its status in the world to the level of tennis at least, starting with the professional leagues,particularly the CBSL;

6) Help BAYI to win the CBSL Championship.

Did I miss anything substantial? More goals and wishes to come? Not just from him but from us fans.

The next practical and necessary thing for him to do is to accumulate ranking points, beginning with the Dutch Open GP next month - the tournament ends on 13th Oct and his birthday is on the 14th, a fitting present(?). Hope to see him play in the London Open GP as well, from 1st to 6th Oct.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So what's next for Lin Dan? To retire or carry on until Rio'16? The answer will be known by next January. http://sports.qq.com/a/20130908/004391.htm

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi moderators, shall we have a poll or two?

One ask, what's next for Lin Dan? His decision is 1)retirement, or 2) carry on until Rio'16. (In this poll we're trying to guess his final decision).

Two ask, what should Lin Dan do? 1) Retire, or 2) Play on until Rio'16. (This poll to reflect the pollsters' wishes for him and the reasons for it).

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fret not, Lin Dan isn't thinking about retirement yet. After having just won his 3rd Chinese National Games Championship, thereby setting and breaking another record, he won't be playing in any international tournaments from now till year end. He will resume international competition next Feb after starting on a special,intensive,scientific training beginning Jan next year.

Meanwhile, Lin Dan to keep himself match-fit will concentrate on playing at the CBSL and aims to win the league championship which he has never won before. As we know he is a member of BAYI Team which Li Xuerui also belongs to.

Apart from badminton, he wants to spend more time with his family and aims to become a father.
    http://sports.qq.com/a/20130911/016519.htm

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3