User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The above interview, it shows how mature,intelligent, gracious and sensible Lin Dan has become. That's also why he could transform his game to make a successful comeback and prolong his career; instead of trying to compete with his main rivals,esp LCW and Chen Long, and the younger competitors in athleticism, mostly speed and power, he uses his wits to maximize his accumulated experience, his knack of reading his opponents' games to anticipate many of their shots, his already superb defensive capabilities and added to it a higher degree of deception - all so aptly described by RedShuttle http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...ioning!/page29

From the interview, it heartens me to say there's now a higher possibility of Lin Dan staying on until Rio'16 OG backed up by his newly developed, complete,all-round playing style to sustain him all the way past his 30 years of age. As it is, this final lap of his playing career is off to a rousing start with a history-making feat of many firsts.

The moniker Super Dan was given by the legendary Peter Gade, but he himself prefers to be simply called Lin Dan. I should think he won't object if we call him Master Dan or Dan Shifu (Shifu in Mandarin means Teacher or Master).

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonc108 View Post
    LD will need to find again another motivation for winning another WC.

This year's WC could be a special for him and therefore his motivation : the 1st wild card player with lowest ranking winning a WC.

Next year's WC? Maybe it's time to let his "good" friend LCW to win once.
    The problem is even if Lin Dan is willing to do LCW the favour, would Chen Long allow it?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And if you believe what Lin Dan said in the interview,including previous others, making more money and increasing his commercial value isn't his main motivation for coming back to compete. I believe money is still important to him but not that important as he's already made quite a lot. From the way he talked, not just what he said, I am comfortable accepting him at face value based on my own understanding and judgement of his autobiography, his career history, his relationship with his family and loved ones and with his friends and colleagues, and the way he dealt with the ups and downs of his life.

Furthermore,whether money is the chief motivation for anyone, you can't go very far and long without the passion for the sport and the support of your loyal fans to whom you owe it to pay them back in the form of playing for their sake. Happy to say, the last two driving force are in abundance and count for very much to Lin Dan. What's more,he has expressly stated on several occasions his sincere,earnest desire to promote badminton worldwide and values a lot his legacy for future generations, to be remembered more for his badminton and not just the titles and gold medals won.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Barring unforeseen circumstances, I've not the slightest doubt, WC 2014 will see Chen Long go all out, Lin Dan or no Lin Dan, notwithstanding whatever happened this year. Actually Lin Dan was very smart this time not to train and spar with Chen Long except for that one warm-up simulation match and was able to catch both Chen Long and LCW by surprise with his 'secret weapon'.

We shall see how Chen Long and LCW as well as others learn to cope with this 'new' Lin Dan in future. I'm keenly looking forward to it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's next for LD in my opinion are:

1. Play more GP level tournaments so he could up his rank before qualification period for WC 2014 started
    2. Win another WC on neutral ground with AC 24 hours on to satisfied the world.

But it's just me.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bad's fan View Post
    What's next for LD in my opinion are:

1. Play more GP level tournaments so he could up his rank before qualification period for WC 2014 started
    2. Win another WC on neutral ground with AC 24 hours on to satisfied the world.

But it's just me.
    Your pt 1, playing more GPG/GP tournaments, is not a bad idea, I second that. Not sure if Lin Dan minds letting more opponents get to know first hand his new playing style. Hope CBA and Lin Dan are listening to your suggestion.

Pt 2 should be possible next year at Copenhagen except that I'd probably be rooting for Chen Long this time. Methinks Lin Dan has won too much already and some people are getting angry about it - just kidding.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no offence, but is it possible that LD will be absent from the international scene for another 8 months, or, possibly longer?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pcll99 View Post
    no offence, but is it possible that LD will be absent from the international scene for another 8 months, or, possibly longer?
    While I won't entirely dismiss your concern (barb?), I think it highly unlikely. He made it this time after a long break from competition under unusual circumstances where the first six months' break was self-imposed. Now that he's made a resounding comeback and gotten over the most difficult part of getting into shape and form developing a new 'armoury', he'd be really pushing his luck too far if he doesn't at least keep his 'weaponry' in good working condition by oiling and testing them regularly in competitive environment, say every 2 - 3 months.

Moreover, for a start, I believe he'd want to raise his ranking to within top 10 in reasonably good time and maintain it there in preparation for the next Olympic cycle, if he's serious about it. I mean it's really bad strategy to only begin burning midnight oil when nearing the 'exams' as that is equivalent to leaving too much to chance and unforeseen circumstances, what with having to work doubly hard and risk being too late.

My take is whilst the momentum is there after having won the WC, the most prudent thing for him to do is to strike while the iron's hot by taking part in a number of well-scheduled tournaments to earn the requisite ranking points as soon as possible.

It's true I don't see his name registered for the CHN Masters and JPN Open SS next month, that's because his ranking has dropped so low as not to qualify for them by their respective closing dates. Therefore, I agree with bad's fan's suggestion that Lin Dan plays in a couple of grand prix events. Even if the CHN Masters' organizer is willing to issue him a wild card entry, it'll still be not feasible simply because he's involved in the Chinese National Games where the penultimate and final rounds clash with the commencement of the CHN Masters.

To be honest, I'm still not too sure how he can maintain enough motivation to keep going until whatever goal(s) he has set himself is realized.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

it would be wonderful if we badminton fans in america can see him play in the US Open, but not sure if it's actually worth his time

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gundamzaku View Post
    it would be wonderful if we badminton fans in america can see him play in the US Open, but not sure if it's actually worth his time
    USA would have to pay LD under-counter, kopi-O money to play USA Open...even if LD wins USA Open, the $$$ can barely pay his one-way ticket home, the plane would stop at mid-air and LD would have to parachute back to CHN.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Justin L View Post
    An interview Lin Dan gave after the WC'13 that's highly relevant here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Uaq6fGqIjE Many thanks to BCer liemsweeking for bringing our attention to it and,especially, BCer thekong for his kind and able translation which I take the liberty of linking below
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php/131000-The-Talking-Point-Air-Conditioning!/page30
    Anyone could also translate the link below? A Chinese friend of mind forwarded to me but I could only read some of it. It seems all about LD talked about what's his future after WC13, and looks like somewhere here he said he would like to play badminton for another 10 years...

http://sports.sina.cn/?sa=d5353596t2...node_id=234340

http://r3.sinaimg.cn/6/2013/0821/4e/8/96447805/original.jpg?vt=4

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

but if he took 8 months off after London Olympics to get married and spend times with family, I think it is possible that if XXF becomes pregnant now that LD will take 1-year (or possibly longer) hiatus from badminton to take care of XXF and spend time with baby. Beside, he needs to make more money from sponsorship and media events. He made RMB 26 million in 2012. I guess he can make more than that amount if he takes one year off from international badminton (except Asian Badminton championship).

http://www.sports.cn/industry/news/o...9/2230430.html

http://sports.gmw.cn/2011-04/07/content_1798121.htm
    Last edited by pcll99; 08-21-2013 at 10:40 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pcll99 View Post
    but if he took 8 months off after London Olympics to get married and spend times with family, I think it is possible that if XXF becomes pregnant now that LD will take 1-year (or possibly longer) hiatus from badminton to take care of XXF and spend time with baby. Beside, he needs to make more money from sponsorship and media events. He made RMB 26 million in 2012. I guess he can make more than that amount if he takes one year off from international badminton (except Asian Badminton championship).

http://www.sports.cn/industry/news/o...9/2230430.html

http://sports.gmw.cn/2011-04/07/content_1798121.htm
    Now that you say it, it's my main concern too (just that I didn't want to repeat myself saying it). When that happens,it'd probably derail his badminton plans for some time; he'll be such a devoted family man.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gundamzaku View Post
    be hopeful
    or fly to dutch open
    he will play there
    wakakakkaka

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by limsy View Post
    be hopeful
    or fly to dutch open
    he will play there
    wakakakkaka
    Badzine reports that Lin Dan has entered the Dutch Open..

http://www.badzine.net/news/lin-dan-...ch-open/26699/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Justin L View Post
    Your pt 1, playing more GPG/GP tournaments, is not a bad idea, I second that. Not sure if Lin Dan minds letting more opponents get to know first hand his new playing style. Hope CBA and Lin Dan are listening to your suggestion.

Pt 2 should be possible next year at Copenhagen except that I'd probably be rooting for Chen Long this time. Methinks Lin Dan has won too much already and some people are getting angry about it - just kidding.
    I think there is one more motivation for Lin Dan: It is to beat Peter Gade (I think he is) as the oldest player in the arena. This is also a challenge to himself both physically and emotionally. He'll need a number of years to achieve this objective.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by andrewtcho View Post
    I think there is one more motivation for Lin Dan: It is to beat Peter Gade (I think he is) as the oldest player in the arena. This is also a challenge to himself both physically and emotionally. He'll need a number of years to achieve this objective.
    One more: Attend the most number of Olympic badminton competitions (i.e. surpass Taufik Hidayat and Peter Gade), and win !!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast