wrist injury

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by tcstay, Dec 24, 2003.

1. tcstay

tcstay Regular Member

student
    i always play some recreational badminton with my badminton kakis twice a week during this holiday. but one of them keep complaining that his wrist (he's a right-handed player) hurts whenever he hits the first few strokes... and that the pain persists for quite a while till about half an hour later... he did do some warm up but i suppose this problem has been long-standing...

he did do some regular fist push-up to strengthen his wrist, though he also experienced pain when doing this workout. btw, he's very fit and has strong arms and wrist, so it's rather puzzling as to why such injury will occur in the first place.

am rather concerned to the extent of his injury. as it does not surface after some pt of time, but it does happen whenever we start playing...

is this injury serious and a cause for concern? and is there any other way to prevent it? consulting a doctor or physiotherapist right now will be rather expensive.

anyone who encounter such problem before, pls gimme advice and help. thanks.
    i personally have no such problem.

2. jayes

jayes Regular Member

Badminton specialty selling strings, grips, shuttl
    For push ups, I would suggest doing both fist and palm push ups (or for the more adventerous ones, finger(s) push ups too :D), not just the fist push ups. Fist push ups usually help when doing lots of punching but help little in badminton, if doing it alone. Not sure what kind of warm up your friend is doing. For wrist warm up, I usually do the wrist-turns (not sure if there is such a term in sport science) lots of time - basically turn the wrist clock-wise and counter-clock-wise.

HTH.

3. tcstay

tcstay Regular Member

student
    geez, actually he did do the wrist turns...
    but the pain never go away.
    could it be he hurt his nerves or some muscular strain?
    is there such a thing called wrist guard? haha.
    is there any physio who plays badminton too that can provide their expertise FOC? haha.

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    If he's a beginner for badminton, then, might be the way he grip the racket or the stroke is wrong. If that's the case, the strongwe (more force applied) he is, the worse the injury might be.

Maybe let some experienced (prefer reputable coach / instructor) player check him out, and see if his strokes are actually "against himself" or not.

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Sorry about double post.

6. ruth1

ruth1 Regular Member

Student Athlete
    you say that he has a strong wrist. it could be though that he's hyper-extending his wrist when executing some shots. if this is so i don't think the strength of his wrist would matter. ask him if he's in control of his wrist on the follow through of his shots. if it does happen that he's overextending the wrist, he may want to tape it up. what he should do is apply two strips around the wrist and then apply 5 or 6 on the back of the hand starting just underneath the knuckles and ending where the two original pieces of tape are. then, to keep the strips from flapping, apply another piece around the wrist. hope this helps.

7. tcstay

tcstay Regular Member

student
    erm, hi ruth, when u say strips, wat kind of strips u referring to?
    medicated plaster?

i suppose he really over-extend his wrist...

but a wrist-guard is effective or not?

8. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    Could it be something as simple as gripping the racket too tightly or that the grip itself is too narrow causing the shock to travell down the racket into the wrist.

Or it could be a mixture of any of the above problems roled into one.

I agree with LazyBuddy, It's probably best to find a coach to advise. If your friend just goes up to one and ask to check his grip they would only be too happy to help and explain any problems because it is so fundamental to your game.

9. tcstay

tcstay Regular Member

student
    all rite, thanks a lot for all the advice! really appreciate them.

btw, my friend had changed to a flymax (similar to yonex mp99) racquet but the problem still persists...
    indeed a cause for concern. will ask him to consult a coach's advice if possible.
    thanks.

10. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Personally, I think the racket has the least effect on ur friend's problem, especially he seems has enough power in his wrist/arm/shoulder.

Check his stroke form first.

11. jamie-laws

jamie-laws New Member

thanks for sharing great tips

12. blindaim

blindaim Regular Member

rolloverflex.jpg
    15 charrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

13. invictus

invictus New Member

It might be De Quervain's tendonitis... had it for awhile, and seemed similar to that post from 7 years ago... LOL.
    Aside from Blindaim's solution, this one might work too :)

claw.png

14. blindaim

blindaim Regular Member

wow wolverine.......

15. Neebs

Neebs New Member

Wild-dog
    It happen to me last time but after changing the racket grips (from thick to thin), the wrist pain is gone.

For me (at least), my hand is small but using double grips causing my wrist hard to twist / turn during play... and when I do smashing my wrist will be in pain. After removing the original grips, the grip is smaller and easier for me to rotate my palm with racket... and slowly the pain is gone (like the wind).

Hope u able to understand me.

16. thereal

thereal Regular Member

business
    He would cure his wrist, but injure people around him..... I wouldnt recommend that.....