does lateral claws really help?

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by gundamzaku, Aug 19, 2013.

1. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    i am still wearing a pair 0f 2009 SHB101LTD and the inner sole has a huge hole where my left heel is and the leather is wearing thin on the outer tip of my right big toe. tho it still works ok, i'm not getting as much stability as i used to when it was new, obviously. i think i can still find a pair of these new, but when they are done, they are done. my question is how do they play against the currect SHB10X Ltd shoes, the ones also with lateral claws but not so obvious anymore?

i have a pair of mizuno that i could get used to since it's brand new but it doesn't have lateral claws and my mind is playing tricks on me telling me that i might roll my ankles if the claws are not there, so i've only wore this pair a few times.

if any of you have experience with other shoes without lateral claws which also give you just as much support, please suggest.

i've had a pair of 2011 SHB-SC5EX and after a year the seams came undone around the same area where the lateral claws should be. so since then i have gone back to the ones with the claws and never looked back.

btw, i'm 5'10" 180lbs, athletic built

please help!!!

2. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

If you didn't roll your ankle with SC5 than I can hardly imagine you achieving this with a normal pair. But I do think the claws function, just that not everyone necesarily actually needs them ...
    With the street maintenance around here I should probably have a couple of broken ankles by now :D but I probably only sprained my ankle two or three times in my life alltogether and only from sports.

On a sidenote: when I saw this thread poking out on the main page I thought you had dug up an old thread ;).

And, yes I read there will be a new colour for Cab 20 this year ... along with new SHB65X for example.

#2 demolidor, Aug 20, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  3. gundamzaku

working professional
    thank you for the input, i will try on other lighter badminton shoes and see how my ankles perform :)

4. decoy

decoy Regular Member

I wnet through 2 pairs of shb 102's (mx and ltd) before trying other badminton specific shoes and I don't notice the lack of claws at all on my f1N ltd's and I never saw the advantage to having the claws or the reason that everybody seems to complain about them hurting their feet.

5. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

I used to think that the claws were essential to stabilize lateral movement (and prevent rolling ankles) but it seems to me now that:

1. A stable pair of shoes without lateral claws can be better than an unstable pair with the claws.
    2. Price isn't everything. Sometimes a cheaper pair of shoes can be more suitable for your feet than high-end offerings from the big brands.
    3. Shoes that fit well can contribute to how stable they feel.

I've rolled my ankles (fortunately not serious) even with shoes that have the lateral claws.

6. Porky

Porky Regular Member

Personally I think its juz gimmicks though it might help in some ways, but more often than not, it's not so crucial, hence u dun see many shoes for various sports having this "lateral claws"

7. gundamzaku

working professional
    given i rolled my ankle a week ago, i have been very careful playing the last 4 days with a new pair of mizuno fang xt. it doesn't have lateral claws so i've been more careful on my footing and funny thing is that somehow, i don't know why, i'm moving a bit faster. maybe the attitude of not being lazy and focus on my footwork actually helped. now my ankle is 85% recovered so we will see how it plays out tonight when i go play.

i really don't want to believe that the lateral claws is just a gimmic but somehow you guys are right :(

one important thing i noticed is the design on the shoes where the lacing connects to the side of your foot. i noticed that when i tied the mizunos really tight, it could get to the point where i lose circulation, meaning that it will give you as much support as you need...without the claws.
    another important note is that i notice most mizuno products i've used, i.e. softball cleats, softball glove, there is no break-in period needed. these shoes came out of the box and ready to run! i'm one happy camper, and thank you all for your input!!!

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I used a lateral claw shoe by accident when I couldn't find my regular Mizuno.

I already have weak ankles and even care with footwork could not totally eliminate the risk of rolling on my ankle. After 1.5 years of using a Yonex shoe with lateral claws, I haven't rolled my leading ankle at all! Whether it's the Yonex shoe or the lateral claw, I don't know. I thought lateral claws were a gimmick but it feels very good for me.

YMMV, but perhaps those with uninjured ankles/good footwork might not feel a benefit.

I would prefer to use mizuno shoes (as the previous Mizuno shoes have been great), but since using the lateral claws, I can't bring myself to revert back to Mizuno.

#8 Cheung, Aug 27, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  9. gundamzaku

working professional
    one fact i know is that i have used lateral claw shoes a few pairs ago, then switched to a pair of yonex without claws, and there was a big hole right at the spot where the claw would be if it had claws. then i went back to the ones with claws and everything was all good.

in the back of my mind i kept wondering when my foot will poke a hole through my mizunos, and i would be very sad because i love these shoes and they are very very comfortable without break-in time.

maybe i should lose weight so that my toes won't have too much force pushing sideways inside the shoes :p

10. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Is Yonex lighter and softer than Mizuno?

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Difficult to compare brands like that because there are many shoe models within a brand. I usually try to keep to one model that I like.

Generally speaking, I found (past tense) mizuno's very comfortable and more durable. About 15years ago, the Yonex shoes I wore would fall apart after 4months and not comfortable.