Air Conditioner

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by jen_legendary, Aug 20, 2013.

1. jen_legendary

jen_legendary Regular Member

I came through this article while reading about the IBL: m.timesofindia.com/articleshow/21932752.cms
    In the interview Saina Nehwal said that there's always a side that is against you, she also mentioned the faster and slower side (because of the air conditioner)
    I'm just wondering what does that mean actually? The AC was blowing to one side and affects the speed of the shuttle? Does that always happen and it is even fair?

2. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    i think it does affect shuttles when it's lifted high, and it's fair because they play at least two games, so each will have to deal with it, and on the third game if there is one, they switch at point 11, so i think it's pretty fair. i personally have never been inside an a/c venue so i don't know how strong the drift is.

3. Shuttlecock101

Shuttlecock101 New Member

Drift varies from venue to venue and as a general rule it can be said that the higher profile the tournament, the worse the venue will be. Players have to adapt to play into the draft versus against it, and that's just the reality of badminton. As a general rule it is better to attack when you are with the draft as clears and lifts can more easily go out the back.

4. catman

catman Regular Member

Do they keep the systems in a constant state during the match or does it automatically turn on/off based on the current conditions?

5. visor

visor Regular Member

automatically turned on and off if you're LD playing in WC finals in China... ;)

6. catman

catman Regular Member

Wow...How good is this guy - plays Badminton and controls the climate in the stadium!:D

7. EvoCopter

EvoCopter Regular Member

Technical Manager
    Yes, most medium to large venues are design for multi-sporting facilities and I have yet to hear of a specific design MVAC system for badminton only. Such drift can be minimize and control if from the onset of the sport hall design, the mechanical engineer, was inform of priority goes to badminton. I have always believe in a dual system, one specific for badminton and the other general but additional ducting, special diffuser, control system and layout cost more and is always difficult to get approval from the money man when such special requirement is only used for once or twice a year.

Just bring most of your shots down onto the court with very little lobs or lift whenever possible. Your ability to adjust rapidly in any venue with such AC issues is to your advantage.

8. catman

catman Regular Member

What would be the ideal system for badminton. Are there any Badminton specific arenas that might have implemented such a system?

9. EvoCopter

EvoCopter Regular Member

Technical Manager
    As indicated earlier, the MVAC engineer would likely design special ducts layout/diffuser with slow flow rate system for badminton use while the other system is for general sporting application. It is unlikely exising venues would want such a special MVAC system installed. However, new venues, where the operators are able to sell the hall out not just only for badminton but other application that requires little or no drift (indoor aeromodelling, etc) requirements may have hope of convincing the money men.

10. 2wheels04

2wheels04 Regular Member

Perhaps the people to best answer would be the players themselves, especially the ones on the circuit.

In tourneys, BWF has listed the requirements, http://bit.ly/1cbOMix.

5. Air movement
    5.1 Any air movement e.g draughts from air conditioning must be tightly controlled or eliminated.

Any arena which conforms to this specification will therefore appear acceptable.

You may have seen players, esp, singles, knock-about first in one half of the court and then switch to the other half. And then sometimes things may change inside arena, such as 4thou people for quarters, and the arena engineers may need to adjust. So yes, there are always several considerations, life is never dull y'know.

11. drmchsraj

drmchsraj Regular Member

That's Saina for you...highlights and focuses primarily on such factors whenever she loses.
    A good player can still play well with a little draft, but a great player not only adapts but also uses it to his advantage ;). That said, it's still unfair that they've to face it unnecessarily.