Lin Dan takes swipe at badminton world body

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by jdileo, Aug 20, 2013.

1. jdileo

jdileo Regular Member

Below is an excerpt from a South China Morning Post interview with Lin Dan, in which he takes swipes at the BWF, including the OG '12 incident. Those who immediately condemn the female players might be enlightened by his remarks.

Chinese superstar Lin Dan takes swipe at badminton world body

Wednesday, 21 August, 2013

[snip]

The row came 12 months after badminton was rocked at the London Olympics, when eight women's doubles players were kicked out for playing to lose group matches, in the hope of gaining an easier quarter-final draw.

"I think we cannot blame those Chinese players for making this mistake. It is not fair to them ... it is the Badminton World Federation that should take the responsibility for this issue," said Lin.

"The rules of the game which they set are not perfect, and have loopholes. And I think it is normal for players to exploit these loopholes to reach their goal."

The BWF declined comment on Lin's views.

http://www.scmp.com/sport/china/art...star-lin-dan-takes-swipe-badminton-world-body

2. niknkia

niknkia Regular Member

Local Government
    So it's ok to cheat if you can find a way round the rules to do it :eek: well I never :rolleyes:

3. jdileo

jdileo Regular Member

Exploiting the loopholes, cheat or whatever you call it to win in sports happens all the time, including your countrymen's OG '12 strategy. Are you going to condemn them too? Will you be petitioning to strip them of their GOLD medals? :rolleyes:

Philip Hindes, British track cyclist gold medalist, won’t see race investigated after saying he crashed on purpose in order to win

Hindes told reporters that team strategy was “if we have a bad start we need to crash to get a restart.”

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

PUBLISHED: FRIDAY, AUGUST 3, 2012, 10:35 AM

LONDON — An apparently deliberate crash by British track cycling gold medalist Philip Hindes for tactical reasons is not being investigated, the International Olympic Committee said Friday.

The incident in the team sprint final Thursday raised further questions about athletes’ ethical behavior at the London Games after four women’s badminton pairs were disqualified for playing to lose.

Hindes told reporters that team strategy was “if we have a bad start we need to crash to get a restart.”

The 19-year-old wobbled starting the three-lap race against France and fell at the first bend. The British trio, including Chris Hoy, won the restarted race.

“I just crashed, I did it on purpose to get a restart, just to have the fastest ride. I did it. So it was all planned, really,” British media reported Hindes saying immediately after the race.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/o...ose-order-win-article-1.1128253#ixzz2cXObr9cT

4. niknkia

niknkia Regular Member

Local Government
    Can you say the word sarcasm lol :D

5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

First off,why did the OP snipped off the more important part and left in the part he mentioned in passing? A good as quoting him out of context.

Second, the eight WD players were never charged for cheating, such as doping which gives you an unfair advantage over others, but disqualified on grounds of something like 'not putting in one's best efforts' (quite subjective) and 'bringing the sport (and the Olympic Games, if I may add) to disrepute'. The most important thing is the responsibility and the punishment shouldn't be on the players alone. Moreover, the 'culprits' were already punished with disqualification, thus dashing their Olympic dreams, on top of the ignominy they have to bear for a long time. All in all, this most unfortunate incident should have by now come to a closure. No point raking up the past sitting on your moral high horse.

What's the purpose of this thread?

6. jdileo

jdileo Regular Member

Your are wrong to say that Lin Dan's remarks were quoted out of context. He did take swipes at the BWF and one of which was the OG '12 incident. And as far as I know, this is an open forum for badminton-related matters for which your permission to post what is not required.

The point is self-explanatory. You may re-read the post to get a better understanding but if you still don't get it afterwards then you may want to contemplate your inner fairness and attitude.

7. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Bumped, double posting

#7 Justin L, Aug 21, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  8. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I'm sorry, I wasn't questioning your right to post, only wondering your purpose in doing so on an old topic that's likely to lead to unnecessary quarrels as had happened in the past. Perhaps I've misunderstood your point.

Anyway, to avoid misunderstanding and get a clear picture of Lin Dan's intended main message to BWF in its entire context, allow me to post the whole article here:

Published: Tuesday August 20, 2013 MYT 6:30:00 PM
    Updated: Tuesday August 20, 2013 MYT 6:32:06 PM

Super Dan takes swipe at BWF

[​IMG]Lin Dan looks on during his men's singles final against Lee Chong Wei in Guangzhou. Lin Dan has questioned if the BWF understands players' needs. – AFP Photo

[TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD][TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD]Email[/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: gig-button-td"][TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD]Facebook[/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [TD]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

HONG KONG: Chinese superstar Lin Dan took a swipe at badminton’s global governing body after his record fifth world title win was hit by controversy, just a year after a scandal at the London Olympics.
    In a rare interview, “Super Dan” questioned whether the Badminton World Federation (BWF) understood players’ needs after the body investigated the apparent failure of the air-conditioning during his victory over world No. 1 Lee Chong Wei.
    And the 29-year-old great also took aim at the BWF over last year’s embarrassing episode at the Olympics, when eight players, including two from China, were disqualified for deliberately trying to lose matches.
    Witnesses at this month’s men’s world final in Guangzhou, southern China, said the stadium air-conditioning, which had been affecting players at one end of the court, went off at the start of the second game, when Lin Dan switched to the breezy side.
    Lin Dan, who lost the first game, won the second to level the match and, with temperatures soaring in the decider, took the title when Chong Wei was stretchered off with cramps when facing match point.
    Chong Wei’s coach, Tey Seu Bock, blamed the lack of air-conditioning for the cramps and retirement, adding that the player could hardly breathe in the stifling conditions. Chinese officials denied turning off the cooling system, saying it was simply set too low.
    But Lin Dan said conditions were the same for both players and he suggested that losing the air-con helped “bring out a higher level of competition”.
    “First, you don’t need to ask me about that because when I’m on the court, I’m not aware of anything,” Lin Dan told AFP via email.
    “Second, I think the conditions were equal. Third, and most important, if the air-conditioning is switched off, then I hope it was because it would bring out a higher level of competition from the players.”
    He added: “Many people, including those from the BWF, don’t really understand what the main problems in badminton are, and what it most needs, because many officials are not competitors.
    “The biggest problem for badminton is wind direction and lighting. If those problems are not solved, it seriously impacts players’ performances on the court.
    “If a high-level player’s performance is affected by these factors, they suffer setbacks and cannot be fully satisfied on the court.
    “The ones suffering are not just the players, but also the fans and audience, so we shouldn’t overlook these two factors. In fact, they are the main factors allowing high-level players to perform at the top of their game.”
    The row came 12 months after badminton was rocked at the London Olympics, when eight women’s doubles players were kicked out for playing to lose group matches, in the hope of gaining an easier quarter-final draw.
    But Lin Dan said the players – who included China’s newly crowned world champions Wang Xiaoli and Yu Yang – were not at fault, adding that the Olympics’ unusual group system was open to manipulation.
    “I think we cannot blame those Chinese players for making this mistake. It is not fair to them ... it is the BWF that should take the responsibility for this issue,” said Lin Dan.
    “The rules of the game which they set are not perfect, and have loopholes. And I think it is normal for players to exploit these loopholes to reach their goal.”
    The BWF declined comment on Lin Dan’s views when contacted by AFP. The body has pledged to crack down on match-fixing following the London incident.
    Lin Dan’s fifth world title win added another chapter to an extraordinary career, especially as he effectively took a year off post-Olympics and needed a wildcard to compete in Guangzhou due to his low ranking.
    He said China’s dominance of badminton in recent years was simply due to “diligence”. But he admitted the team were disappointed to win only two gold medals at the world championships.
    The lower tally came after a clean sweep of all five titles at the previous two world tournaments and at the 2012 Olympics.
    “The performance of Chinese players is not as ideal as it was before. We are a little disappointed,” he told AFP.
    “But we will be striving to perform better next time .... It is our responsibility, but not burden, to be champions.”
    Lin Dan also called for badminton to be better promoted globally and said that when both he and 30-year-old Chong Wei retire, other superstars will emerge.
    “I hope wholeheartedly that badminton will be as popular and respected as tennis one day,” he said. – AFP

#8 Justin L, Aug 21, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  9. boon_keng

boon_keng Regular Member

Lin Dan actually got a point there..........the players were playing within the rules......they were just not within "spirit of the olympics".............Lin Dan is just a straight shooter.......telling it like it is........

10. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Lin Dan really surprises me in his interview. I am impressed by his grasp of the BIG PICTURE.
    What he says about the drift and lighting in almost all competition halls and the mess up by BWF in disqualifying so many women players who used their brains to do what intelligent players would do!

Now, compare these with the wasted energy in endless argument about a small comma here and another misplaced semi-colon there.

11. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I like the way you put, succinctly.