2 string breaks in a row on a new racket between grommets

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by swunk, Aug 22, 2013.

1. swunk

swunk Regular Member

Hi everyone, got my brand new 100% original li-ning n90-II recently, had it strung with ns30 at 23/25 lbs (babolat electric stringin machine). In a day or so I noticed a small "chip" on the string on top of the frame between two mains grommets. The string broke in just two sessions and not in the middle, but in between the grommets (can't tell if it happened where the chip was).
    Had the racket restrung (by the same stringer) with the same string with the same tension. Inspected the racket carefully - no chips on the string. But the string snapped in just 1 hour of play and again in between the grommets (can't say for sure if it were the same grommets, two mains on top of the frame).
    Why can this be? Stringer's fault somehow? Or faulty grommet on a brand new racket? The naked eye doesn't reveal any problems with the grommets, they seem perfectly fine.

Had the racket restrung today by a different tried stringer to rule out if it was a stringer's fault, but would appreciate any input on the subject coz the string itself isn't cheap and the main reason I switched from zm65 to ns30 is for better durability of an .70 ns-30.

2. Trinhity

Trinhity Regular Member

Provide some high quality pictures of the chip - I would like to take a look.

3. swunk

swunk Regular Member

that string is long gone )

4. Trinhity

Trinhity Regular Member

Ah, I think I know what you are talking about.

The sheath of the string was sticking out right?

5. AZbadman

AZbadman Regular Member

Sales and Marketing
    Seems as though the stringer knicked it when trying to move the string over to feed in one of the crosses. In time due to the tension, it will snap once the string is weakened.

6. swunk

swunk Regular Member

Trinhity no, i don't really no how to describe it, but there was no chip the second time.

AZbadman no, it's not near a shared hole, it's basically almost on the very top of the frame

7. heroclass

heroclass Regular Member

well then how is the new stringer performing on you rracquet now

8. Sevex

Sevex Regular Member

Academia, CFD/ wind engineering
    Do you use your racket to pick up shuttles from the floor? My friend who I string for kept breaking strings at the top of his Voltric 70 in this way. The string can come into contact with the floor as he did the scooping motion and on dirtier floors friction will quickly snap the string.

9. swunk

swunk Regular Member

yes i do but i've been doin it for a long-long time with all my rackets. also i do it mostly with the side of the racket. and we have very soft acrylic floors at the gym.

haven't had a chance to play with freshly strung racket yet, only tomorrow.

10. swunk

swunk Regular Member

well the string survived one intense session yesterday but broke during the second one today. Again on top of two mains, but now it were the middle ones. So i guess the bad grommet is not the case.
    Had quite a number of mishits, especially with the top part of the frame, maybe that's the case, maybe ns-30 doesn't really like mishits, especially with plastic birdies.
    Gonna restring the racket with ZM65 and see how it goes.

11. Trinhity

Trinhity Regular Member

Please take a picture of the broken strings.

12. swunk

swunk Regular Member

there was nothing special about them. i cut them immediately after the break so that there won't be an uneven tension on the racket.