which racket to choose

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by akhilc, Aug 22, 2013.

1. akhilc

akhilc New Member

student
    Hi,
    I'm a beginner to intermediate player. I started playing three years ago but had to take regular breaks. I don't play much smashes mostly I try to place and drop. It's mainly because my smashes are not that powerful and I enjoy placing the shuttle very much. Hope you got my style of play. Now I'm buying a new racket in few days and the budget is 1500 irs max. Please tell me which of these will be better.

1.Yonex Musclepower 2 http://www.flipkart.com/yonex-muscl...GPHD&ref=10b9a641-6b73-486d-8550-90ebf8b0de2e

2. Yonex MP 3 http://www.flipkart.com/yonex-muscl...KG4J&ref=d1983f66-b780-4e04-ae6f-da86799bff6d

3. Yonex MP 600 http://www.flipkart.com/yonex-muscl...SJ3V&ref=d1983f66-b780-4e04-ae6f-da86799bff6d

I'd like to buy from flipkart. Is there any other option strictly in this price range. Thank you for reading :)

2. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Ehm. All of these rackets seems to be very low end to rubbish. I would buy a YY with such a tight budget. There are a lot brands out there with a better price. Try to get an Apacs.

3. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Low end does not mean they're rubbish. The OP is a beginner, so I don't think he/she would get much benefit from say a Voltric Z-Force.

OP, if you're just starting off, any modern racquet that fits your budget will do really. But you may need some guidance in terms of grip size. Normally I recommend a racquet with a bit of head weight for beginners. This is to help them develop the correct stroke and strength. Also, as said, you don't need to confine yourself to Yonex. There are many other brands to choose from. But I'd suggest you go for well known brands such as Victor, Wilson, Carlton, Li Ning etc for better quality.

4. sayshh

sayshh Regular Member

The rackets you have listed are either having steel or aluminium construction, which means (1) they will be heavy (2) over a period of time they could bend (3) you will outgrow them very soon if you play regularly.

I would suggest you to opt only for full graphite construction racket even if it stretches your budget by a bit.. As others said you could consider rackets from Carlton, Ashaway, or even Artengo.

5. Juni88

Juni88 Regular Member

Geography Teacher
    The Prokennex and Victor rackets that are on that website he is mentioning, and are cheaper as the Yonex rackets in OP, are fine rackets for beginners. Although they're not full-graphite they are a graphite alloy and at least not entirely made out of aluminum. They are absolutely not worse than the YY-low ends, if not better.

Prokennex is quite frequently used by beginners, at least here in the Netherlands.

6. akhilc

akhilc New Member

student
    Thank you all for replying. I don't want to increase budget,because I won't play on a regular basis. Also I'm not that good a player to spend anymore money. Are brands like victor,artengo good? Also can't find any Li Ning below 1500. I have used only low end yonex and Li Ning(my brother has one). That's why I'm hesitating for other brands.

7. Juni88

Juni88 Regular Member

Geography Teacher
    The Head ones aren't bad to start with either. The Vector and Cosco ones I would avoid.

But as mentioned above, you might consider buying something a little above the budget you are on now: you won't be a beginner forever and eventually you will want to buy a new one that will cost you more anyway.

8. sayshh

sayshh Regular Member

To add to what Juni88 said. At 1 point when I thought I was a beginner I bought Artengo 750P (graphite shaft, aluminium head) racket. That lasted only for a short while as the head deformed when the racket head hit the floor.

Then I decided to go for a complete graphite racket and bought an Artengo 800P racket. This is an even balance racket, and upon playing with it for some time and realizing that I was playing quite regularly and at intermediate level, I upped my budget and bought a Yonex Carbonex 8800 (head-heavy) racket, which is my go-to racket till date.

This was the rationale behind my suggestion to stretch your budget a bit. Having used Artengo rackets, I would say they are good quality and worth the price (at least they were, I don't know the rackets now or price range), and probably the best buy for a person like you. Good luck!

9. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I didn't say that he should get a high end racket. Don't take the words of my mouth. It's a simple fact that other brands give more value for money. Especially if you can't spend an amount of money. Would you buy a rusty Mercedes or a new Honda?

OP, You can take a look at Head racket if you want to stick with flipkart.

10. Juni88

Juni88 Regular Member

Geography Teacher
    The Head rackets are fine indeed. Head might not have the reputation Yonex or Li Ning have in badminton and you won't see any pro's use 'm but they make good value rackets suitable for anything in between beginners and very advanced players.

PRO'S:
    - they are made out of titanium or graphite, this makes them durable and strong compared to the aluminum ones: aluminum may be the cheapest, but if you collide with either floor or partner, it is likely to have bumps, bend or break.

CON'S
    - despite you might say graphite or titanium are lighter than aluminum, thats not true. If you look at the specs the Head rackets are slightly heavier compared to the Yonex ones. BUT THIS DOES NOT HAVE TO BE A DISADVANTAGE!!! As a matter of fact, beginners may profit from the extra weight cause you will find it easier to generate power with it. As your technique will improve, you may feel the need for a lighter racket in the future though.

11. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    head rackets are awesome in my opinion, i have a nano power 500 and a metallix 8000. both played awesome. ok, granted that these rackets might be out of your range, but what i'm saying is that i see the quality of rackets being consistent across the board from low end nano power 500 to the high end metallix 8000. tho they have already withdrew out of the badminton scene in the sense that they no longer have rackets in production, CMIIW, there should still be some rackets out there for sale at discount prices.