Questions about double net play

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Aelyanne, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Aelyanne

Aelyanne Regular Member

Student
    Hello
    I would like to ask you these questions :

Men double net play :
    1 :
    I want to make a straight net shot. The opponent is in a standard front player position. What should be the trajectory of the net shot ? As flat as possible and falling quite away from the net, or as close to the net as possible AND low enough not to get kill ?

2 :
    Let’s say the straight net shot is played to the far side of the court. Where should I replace myself as the front player ? How much forward ? (after the service line, on the service line, before the service line…). How much on the side ? (In the middle of the court, slightly on the side of the shuttle, or in front of the shuttle ?)

3 :
    After I do a short service, the receiver often does a slightly upward drive or push to a side.
    I’m on the service line in the middle with the racket up, but I can’t intercept these shots.
    Some people advised me to “gamble” a random side to intercept, instead of staying in the middle.
    What do you think ?

General technique

4 :
    I read some articles about changing grip length, like this one : http://www.badmintonbible.com/articles/grips-guide/grip-adjustments/grip-length.php
    At this moment, I use the same grip length for all shots (quite a long grip, but far from the maximum).
    Is changing grip length an essential skill to learn, or is it unimportant? (For men double).

5 :
    I also read some articles about “fingers power”. It seems very important for a lot of strokes (net kills, drives, backhand clear, deceptive shots…).
    To use fingers power well, do you only need to learn the technique right, or do you absolutely need to muscle/train your fingers ?

Thank you for your answers.

2. amleto

amleto Regular Member

1: depends on how high you take it, and position of opponents

2: depends on how good your shot is, and position of opponents

3: if you can't read the return, then gamble on the side that protects your partner's weaker side.

4: it's essential. You can be much faster with shorter grip.

5: it's a technique mainly. obviously doing power ball or something will give a bit of extra zip IF you have the correct technique.

3. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

1. as short AND flat as possible...;)

2. the better your shot, the closer to the net and the further on the side where you played the shuttle. the reasoning is obvious: the better your shot, the weaker the return/the returners possibilities will be. therefore, you put extra pressure on your opponent after a good net drop, by taking him the easiest possibility (reply with a net shot) and by that pressuring him to play a (very risky) magic-shot or a safe clear. if your shot is weaker, the opponent has more possibilities, so you have to be in a more neutral position to cover the possibilities...

3. always try to do something to keep your opponent uncertain! try to guess where he will play, cover one side of the court randomly, always stay active. it's harder to do a good service-return, when you're a bit uncetrain what the opponent will cover...

4. shorter grip is essential for net play.

5. it's both: proper technique and a lot of training...

4. Aelyanne

Aelyanne Regular Member

Student
    Thanks for your answers.
    I tried to practice my net shots, use a shorter grip and "gamble". It feels definitly better.
    I still don't get how to use the "finger power" however.

5. visor

visor Regular Member

Finger power is really grip tightening. But for it to be effective, you have to first start from a relaxed loose grip.