Which MP is a good replacement for the original Cab20?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Fusion_M8, Dec 29, 2003.

1. Fusion_M8

Fusion_M8 Regular Member

I.T/Admin
    I have finally cracked the frame of my trusted Carbonex 20(2UG3). It was one hell of a racquet!!! Its been with me though every up and down in the last 18 years of social and competitive badminton, and it finally gave in after a clash with my partner's no-name-stainless-steel-supermarket-special racquet...

After looking through whats on offer from Yonex, I have decided that I want to get a Muscle Power series racquet, but don't know which one to get. To me they all look the same but have subtle differences in showroom feel, but I have no chance to sample the different racquets out on the open court under tournament conditions.

So far the AUD$120 Muscle Power 27 appeals to me most due to its value for money, even balance and reasonable stiffness. I do not see the need in spending AUD$300 on the Armotec 700, which does not even have a Muscle Power frame!

I don't like racquets that are too flexy or head heavy(so that basically leaves out MP88), I am looking for a Muscle Power racquet that can give me the raw power and good control of the original Carbonex 20.

So what do you "experts" think????

2. Nitemeister

Nitemeister Regular Member

Digital Film/Finance
    Hi there... well i'm no 'expert' but like you i've also recently upgraded my old Yonex Aerotus 70, not because it's broken, but because it's well... 9 freaking years old!

So i had to decide if i was going to go with the Cab 20MS or a lower end MS. After much hmmming and hawwing, i decided to purchase the MS 33.. and to be quite honest it's a nice lil raquet.. Good stiffness and light.. so really good smashes but light enough for quick defence. I'm really happy with it and i purchased it for $150, tax included. So that might be a consideration for you.

just my 2 cts

cheers!

3. fhchiang

fhchiang Regular Member

in my opinion....

the only MP worth buying is MP99 and MP77...

well... you may like to try out cab 21 too although it's really old... it's one of the model top singles players from asia still using it....

4. ak6210

ak6210 Regular Member

student
    in my opinion, mp77 is head heavy. not nice to use. i prefer mp100 .

5. forrestyung

forrestyung Regular Member

Salesman
    IMO, nothing can replace Cab 20.

I have used Cab 20 and Boron 2 for over 15 years. I have tried to shift to other high end rackets such as Ti 7, Ti 10, MP 100, AT 700. It is great at the beginning, but you may find something lost after pro-longed use.

If you want to keep the same playing style, then I would recommend using Cab 20. It is still avaliable in Hong Kong and some Asia pacific region.

If you want to try the MP series, then you should prepare changing the playing style as the racket changes.

Only comment, square head totally different with Oval head.

6. ayl

ayl Regular Member

Professional procrastinator
    G'day Fushion_M8,

I totally agree with Forrestyung.

I have MP100/90/77/Ti-10 (and had an AT700 for 2 months) as well as Cab23/22/21/20, and I have to say nothing comes close to Cab20. Even Cab22, supposedly to be a close derivative of Cab20, plays differently.

If you insist on getting a MP styled racket, my opinon the closest match will be MP90, as both are light-ish and have similar balance point. You will however discover MP90 being a more powerful, the Cab20 will still give you better feel and control.

And it is way cheaper and far more durable. And yes you can get them here in Australia, SP version for about $150-$175.

If you are in Melbourne you can give my rackets a try and get a feel for them all.

7. Fusion_M8

Fusion_M8 Regular Member

I.T/Admin
    Thank you to those of you who have replied so quickly and honestly!!!

As for AYL... yes I am in Melbourne...residing in the Caulfield area, whereabouts do u live and play badminton? I play at Monash Uni and Springvale.

Gavin.

8. 338054

338054 New Member

Accontant
    Where do you buy your racquets

Hi Fusion M8

I am no expert and can't offer any advice on racquets, since I am only into Yang Yang racquets, but if you live in Melbourne, I can recommend someone that you can buy a racquet from. He has access to most Yonex racquets and prices will definitely be cheaper than retailers.

9. Fusion_M8

Fusion_M8 Regular Member

I.T/Admin
  10. Pecheur

Pecheur Regular Member

Re: Where do you buy your racquets

Man all these Melbournians coming out of the woodwork, how about you suggest that he come to this site and make himself known, without of course breaking the rule on advertising ;)

I wonder how many people get stock straight from the Yonex dealer?

11. ayl

ayl Regular Member

G'day Gavin,

I am based in Albert Park and Altona (central and western division) and I am usually playing Mon / Tue / Wed nights so you should have no problem catching me.

Plenty of people get stock straight from dealers here. The market is too small in Australia and word gets around about great deals fast.

12. cvanbui

cvanbui Regular Member

student
    i suggest getting the cab20 mp, i have the mp33 but by far i think the cab 20 mp is much better, i got the 2u. the cab gives me more confidence in playing my shots, and gives me alot of power, where as the mp33 gives me net control.

overall i like both but i would always pick the cab 20mp as my main racket.

13. Fusion_M8

Fusion_M8 Regular Member

I.T/Admin
    Good stuff!!! Think I will get the Cab20 MP then....

Tried a friends ISO racquet, felt nice to play with due to increased sweet spot, but I felt an increase in head drag when smashing...power was still there, but it felt as if it had a slower headspeed for the same amount of effort used. Think I'll just stick with Ovals for now....

14. ayl

ayl Regular Member

Get a Cab30 Muscle Power. If you do you'll probably be the first person in Australia to own one! :cool:

15. cvanbui

cvanbui Regular Member

student
    ayl

do they sell cab 30mp over their, where i am from we don't get it(us). I wanted to get one but have ask the shops but none would import just "1" racket. Have you play with the cab30mp.

how does it play like, and how different is it to the other racket?

16. ayl

ayl Regular Member

We don't have Cab30 in Australia yet. And based on how slow we get rackets here in Australia, US will probably get it before we do.... :(

However, you can contact another forum member here |R|S. He helped me to source a MP90 from Japan one year before Australia recieved it's first MP99 shipment. So it was great to be the very first lucky sod to use a MP90 when rest of Australia just started using MP100! :D Thanks |R|S!

Anyway if you want to find out more about Cab30Muscle Power, try the link below.

http://www.badmintonforum.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12206&highlight=cab+30

17. Fusion_M8

Fusion_M8 Regular Member

I.T/Admin
    Is paying USD$123(AUD$165) for a Cab20MP too expensive? Thats the price I was quoted from www.badmintonchain.com The price includes standard insured air freight from Singapore to Melbourne...

If not, where else can I source a Cab20MP for less than AUD$165???

G.

18. ayl

ayl Regular Member

I think I saw a Cab20 Muscle for sale at Tension 24, Glen Waverley about a year ago. It hada retail sticker of $229 but I managed to bargin the racket down to $179. I didn't buy it because the owner wouldn't replace the string on it to BG66 without charging extra. (they have crappy string on it).

Chances are they still have that racket laying around. People tend to buy Muscle Power rackets nowadays and skip Cabs.

So it will still work out to be more expensive than buying from overseas, but at least you'll be getting an AS version with full Yonex Aust. warrantee coverage.

19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Excuse me but why would you want a muscle power raquet if the cab20 as so good?

20. Fusion_M8

Fusion_M8 Regular Member

I.T/Admin
    Because.... 1. Muscle Power Technology makes very good sense and I believe it
    works.

2. The Cab20 is regarded as one of the best racquets ever by many
    veterans like me, with a very good combination of power, feel &
    control.

3. Yonex has introduced Muscle Power technology to the Cab 20, while
    maintaining all its existing strengths and characteristics....then
    wouldn't it be a no brainer to get the Cab20 MP since I'm looking for
    the closest MP technology replacement racquet for the original
    Cab20???