Match day rituals

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Juni88, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Juni88

Juni88 Regular Member

Geography Teacher
    Although there have been a few topics that cover the mental side of badminton during the game, I am curious about the mental preparation on a match day.

- is there a typical type of food you eat?

- is there specific music you listen?

- do you think about your/match or opponent?

- do you spend some extra time with your rackets?

- do you do prayers or meditation?

- is there a special activity, habit or token involved in your ritual?

What works for you, and what might work for others, share it with us.

2. phili

phili Regular Member

The only thing I try is to get focused on my game 30 minutes before I leave home. That's enough for me.

3. Juni88

Juni88 Regular Member

Geography Teacher
    Most of my matches are during the week. This means that after a long day of work I will lie down and rest for about an hour (not sleeping) in absolute silence. If its an important match I think about the opponent and that I'm going to beet him, last year I had a final decisive match for the championship and I had those thoughts all week. I eat dinner as usual, nothing special. I just make sure that I'm not stuffed. Next is a walk to the nearby supermarket to grab a chocolatebar and energydrinks (Red Aquarius). An hour before departure I pack my bag, inspect my rackets in almost a dramatic slow way. Spending some time with my gear gives me some confidence, like you bond somehow with it. Then I fill up my Yonex-can with water and watch some tv, or some easy-listening music. When on my bike to the venue I listen some music that inspires, or "energize" you. What specific music that is varies from time to time. After being dressed I have a word or to with my team-captain and start my warming up. Then I make sure I have a moment of absolute silence somewhere in the venue where nobody is and time like 5 minutes to myself. Setting my mind to the match and charging my self up for it. Shake hands with my opponent and then I'm fully prepared to rock!