How do i improve even further?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Joseph, Dec 31, 2003.

1. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

At this point, I'm having trouble improving. I know I need to work on my backhand, shot placements, and footwork. But it seems like I'm just not improving. Anything you guys do to improve on these things cause it seems like I'm going no where.

2. odjn

odjn Regular Member

Student
    you should never hit the birdy without thinking

For shot placements, its always a good idea to take a quick glimpse of where your oppenent is (and what there doing) before you decide where to hit the birdy. This way you can see what your opponent is doing, say like running forward after a tight drop. If you see your opponent running forward, you know you should use an attacking clear to get your opponent off balance, and maybe fall and slide under the net. :cool: (well this mostly works for singles BTW)

This might sound crazy but I track where my opponents are by using my ears. Since I wear glasses and practically blind as a bat, I've been using my ears instead. Every once in a while I'll take a good glimpse with my eyes..just once in a while.

#2 odjn, Dec 31, 2003
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2003
  3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    what aspects of your game do you think you are not good enough?

4. cvanbui

cvanbui Regular Member

student
    i've been in this situation before, and was stuck there for along while. i talk to people who play professionally and their recommendation was kind of odd, " you are improving, however it is not at the rate you want, therefore you are not satisfy enough so you push yourself harder, therefore making more error while improving. He also suggest that i take some time out and relax my mental state." He said alot of other things too, but i don't remember them.

the funny thing is i thought he was playing with me, but i was wrong. after pushing harder, and harder, i finally took his advice and a short period after that i was able to improve the dynamic of my game in all aspect.

5. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    You have mentioned three areas for improvement and my suggestion would be that you just focus on one area at a time. Trying to focus on all three areas is counter-productive and if it was me, I would focus on in that order:

a) Footwork
    b) Shot placement
    c) Backhand

Good luck.

6. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

This is my way of improving on those areas:

Footwork:
    Do more shadows, keep focus on your footwork. You really need a coach to do this in the beginning if you don't know what's right and what's wrong. It's ok to be slow when you're trying to correct your footwork. Gradually gain more speed as you gain more confidence in doing the right footwork. In the end, you should only cover 15 corners at max speed and resting 30 seconds inbetween each time. Doing it for a total of 15 times, don't force yourself to suddenly be able to do it 15 times, build up step by step, day by day.

Skipping, single step and double step, one of the best way to develop fluid movements around the court, just remember to use more of your ankle instead of your knees to hop. Knees shouldnt be bent much at all, hardly noticeable. Quantity does matter! :D hehehee and speed too :p

Shot Placement:
    Spar a lot, A LOT!! :D and start analyzing your games and your opponent's game while you're sparring, think about what you're doing right and wrong and also your opponent. Basically, just play with your brains instead of just relying on ur muscles to get you out of trouble. Don't get into a drift where you just play mindlessly, keep focus of whatever you are doing on court and remeber them.

Backhand:
    First, make sure you have the proper swing, second, get a squash racket, and do 100 backhand swings each day without hitting the shuttle. Feet should be stationary, so place them racket leg a bit forward and rotate your body to get the follow through instead. Try to put speed into your swings instead of just an effortless swing. If you're feeling tired before reaching 100, stop and rest. I find it better to stop when I'm not putting enough effort into each swing. If the next day your arm is feeling sore, then don't push it, rest for that day. Caution: Don't force your arm to stop suddenly, you can hurt your joint. The impact point is at the max height, lots of time to slow down the racket if you make a follow through past the horizontal line.

Oh, and if you're serious, you can focus on all of them. eg: get to the games half an hour early and do some shadows to warm up. Then start sparring with the guys and focusing on your game. When the day is done, get your squash racket and do your 100 backhand swings, and remember to stretch after the games, flexibility is very important for fluid movements around the court.

Also, don't expect a sudden improvement. Do it for a month or two and THEN analyze the improvements you've made. Expecting a sudden improvement will only put you down, it'll make you feel like you've put so much effort yet its not showing results.

#6 Iwan, Dec 31, 2003
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2003
  7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Have some patience:)

The intial progress of learning will be on technical aspects.

Later, as you play more, how to use shots effectively becomes more important.

At first, probably you played any shot at random and hoped for a weak shot to take advantage of.

Now, you have to learn what shot you can and cannot play in certain situations. Then you have to learn how to build up rallies to create winning situations.

Then later, there are psychological aspects of spotting when an opponent is weakening, patterns that the opponents plays to etc.

All in all, not easy to learn for a game as fast as badminton. Therefore, it is to be expected that the rate of learning would be slower...;)

8. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

Wow thanks for the replies. I guess I should take things a lot more slowly and focus on one thing at a time. I've been on my high school team for 2 years so I think I have some of the basic footwork down, but during in game I guess I have trouble using it. I think I can manage without the backhand for now since I really didn't need it all too much for the past 2 years. So I'll just try to improve on 2 things rather than 3, but not at the same time since it's counter productive.

Kwun - Well you've seen me play...

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i thought you lack some aggression. felt like you didn't know what to do with the shuttle. perhaps your first goal is to play more and play different ppl.

10. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

I lacked aggression? Yeah I guess, I do...How do I attain aggression? I'm not really sure how to be an aggressive player. As for me not knowing what to do with the shuttle. I guess that's true to. What can I do kwun?

11. manabu

manabu Regular Member

Dr
    Iwan: "Skipping, single step and double step, one of the best way to develop fluid movements around the court, just remember to use more of your ankle instead of your knees to hop. Knees shouldnt be bent much at all, hardly noticeable. Quantity does matter! hehehee and speed too "

I always use my knees to skip (esp for double and triple steps rope), so from my understanding of the above, does it mean I have to shift more towards the "flat footed" stance when skipping?

Thanks~

12. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

manabu: well, the reason why we use ankle more is because we want the feet to be more explosive in itself. Think abt it, if u have enough power in your ankle to move like you do now with just ur feet pushing u around and little of ur thighs, then how much faster can u go when you use both? :D

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    He already told you;)

BTW, after a game, you could ask some of the more experienced players for their opinions on your play and where to improve upon.

14. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

How do I be more aggressive? For some time I used to think being aggressive is to hit the bird hard...i really don't know what it means to be aggressive.

15. estib

estib Regular Member

Being aggressive means trying to hit winners, aiming for the lines, etc. Aggressive players usually hit more winners but tend to have more errors.

16. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

To me, playing aggressive is playing all out as fast as you can. Lots of smashes and fast dropshots, along with a quick netshot or punches to the back. Doesn't matter if your dropshot falls after the service line. Once in a while an attacking clear, hardly anything that allows your opponent move relaxingly like a high clear. That's playing aggressive :) You playing fast and forcing your opponent to move fast. You need lots of stamina and endurance for this type of game play though.

17. jayes

jayes Regular Member

Badminton specialty selling strings, grips, shuttl
    If you are playing double, being aggresive can also mean that you are intimidating your opponents. Let me illustrate. For example, you are an agressor in front of the net that you will hit a winner any shuttle that is inches higher than the net. Your opponents will feel intimidated that they are seldom doing drop-shots and most of the time they will lift the shuttle for the rest of the game. Again this is only one example. However, be ready for a different kind of attack from your opponent then.

Cheers. :)

18. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Being offensive aggressive meant stretching your opponents in time (dictating pacing) and space (controling shot placement). Proper intimidation comes from confidence in skill and fitness. Defensive aggressive is simple enough, just go for every shot even when you know you won't be able to get it some of the time. Whether you'll get all the shots depends on your footwork and positioning too.

19. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    actually, both my points, aggression and purpose. you need to ask yourself the same question everytime before you hit, "where and how should i place the shuttle?"

20. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    btw, Joseph, are you going to Bintang tonight? i heard from them (like 2 wks ago) that they will be opening the new gym today. i am not sure where it is though, do you know?