Hitting the frame; general tips?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Xamime, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Xamime

Xamime Regular Member

Heya :)

Recently I've been hitting the frame of my racket a lot of times when it really just isn't allowed to happen. Mostly with backhand shots. When you hear the "cling" sound, you know you're dead.

My number one tip would be to be sure to get the footwork right. To be well places behind the shuttle for the stroke feels quite key to me.

So, does anyone have any good general tip on how to hit less frame shots?

2. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    timing is very important, knowing where the shuttle is in reference to your racket is also important.

i find myself hitting the shuttle a lot less if my timing is correct, and if it's very very good, then i even get to use the sweet spot too :)

for fast exchanges, i would like to be able to see my racket before i hit the shuttle so that in reference to the racket, i know how far the shuttle is from the racket and i would know to swing or push appropriately.

3. BigFC

BigFC Regular Member

Hey, I totally agree with your tip as to get behind the shuttle. I would also add that if you are late, try not to hit too hard.

This was my issue because whenever I was out of position, I always tried to hit it as hard as I can to the opponents back court. Stupid, I know. I broke a racquet and a bunch of strings cause of that.

Now when I am out of position I generally try to place the bird really well at the net area. But when I do hit to the opponents back court, I make sure that I time it right because you're better off timing it and hitting the sweet spot of the racquet then swinging like an idiot and snapping the racquet in half.

4. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    i agree that often when we are in trouble we tend to think that we need to pound the shuttle out of our back court, but like the post mentioned above, i realized that a lot of times when i hit the shuttle with my backhand just enough to get it over the net, my opponent might not be able to kill it right away. of course i'll be a bit out of positon, which is a given, but still, prolonging the rally for another swing :)