User Tag List

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yu Yang played mixed doubles last time, if I remember correctly, with He Hanbin ?

Actually Yu Yang did not shine playing mixed doubles, or maybe because she was not given the right partner ?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I watch her play WD, I see no reason why she wouldn't be a good XD player. In fact she does have a Bronze medal from the Beijing olympics in XD and a Silver medal from 2010 World Championships. I think He Hanbin is not a very good player, so with one of the better male players, i think Yu Yang could be great in XD as well as WD . Maybe because she struggles with stamina problems she is left out of XD.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even Li Yongbo has expressed disappointment and frustration with the slow progress of the young CHN MS crop to the top echelon - he didn't actually mention names but I believe he has in mind players such as Chen Yuekun, Gao Huan, Tian Houwei, Qiao Bin, Huang Yixiang, Guo Kai, and, perhaps, Xue Song.

Some years back around 2008 CHN MS have Lin Dan, Bao Chunlai and Chen Jin as mainstays, then later it was Lin Dan, Chen Jin and Chen Long after Bao CL's retirement. Now that Lin Dan is semi-retired and unlikely to play in enough tournaments to become CHN MS1 for team events, CHN MS elite team practically now consists of Chen Long, Du Pengyu and Wang Zhengming after Chen Jin's retirement, so I 'd say this 3-member combination is the weakest CHN MS is in at present.

Talking about Tian Houwei, somebody once revealed that he is still pursuing his academic goal at university, so it's a bit difficult to juggle his studies and commitment to professional badminton. He just turned 22 years old,born 11th Jan 1992, hopefully, he can finish his education early this year so that he is free to dedicate himself fully to the sport.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, if LCW will really retire at the end of this year, I think LD can retire this year too.

But of course there are many commercial considerations as well. So let's see what will happen.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LYB has a problem that the ROW would wish to have, a stable of very good young talents. Unleashed a XS to play IND gold, and he beat the home boys to take gold. How many XS are there in CHN?

If LYB packs a plane to fly these players to play in all the SS/SSP, he practically kills this game and IOC would ban badminton since CHN would dominate. LYB has to be generous like LD.

If LYB is looking for the next LD and frustrated in not finding that chap, he is not alone. INA, MAS and DEN have the same problem, i.e. finding the next legend of this game. KOR and JAP have yet to see the shadow of any MS legend in their history, and are still searching.

The world is changing. It is difficult to find young prospects, convincing their parents that there is future in badminton to 'loan' these kids to the association home away from home for years/decade, then to eat-sleep-breathe badminton and live a healthy, regimented lifestyle, trust the coaches to play 'parents' to your kids, this is huge leap in faith. And still badminton pays peanuts, one heck of a risky business to venture in.

Kids out there today are bombarded with I-phone, dating, branding, cars, all teenager wish lists, to find players willing to dedicate their life to this sport will be very challenging to find the next LD, LCW.

LYB has better chances going to the country side where there will be kids who has no future, and playing badminton has nothing much to lose.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The latest India GPG was a great success for the next generation of Chinese doubles.

The XD, WD, and MD were all Chinese final. It's nice to see such good players. The finalists saw a dramatic rise in their world rankings.

In the MD: Li Junhui/Liu yuchen, Huang Kaixiang/Zheng Siwei are very impressive.
    In the XD: Wang Yilv/Huang Yaqiong, Huang Kaixiang/Chen qingchen look like top 10 players already.

I am really looking forward to seeing these youngsters in more tournaments very soon! Historically, MD and XD have been relatively weaker for China, so its nice to see some improvement in the next generation.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chinese New Year Greetings from the CBA:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1QNodM797w

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Except for the good wishes, it's a poor video.
    Um, was it shot with a cheap camera phone?
    No one seems excited... and, of course, they are reading from a script!

Why must Li Yongbo wear a cap and an Antarctic explorer's jacket indoors?
    And couldn't they find multiple locations instead of taking turns to stand stiffly in a random corner??

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldhand View Post
    Except for the good wishes, it's a poor video.
    Um, was it shot with a cheap camera phone?
    No one seems excited... and, of course, they are reading from a script!

Why must Li Yongbo wear a cap and an Antarctic explorer's jacket indoors?
    And couldn't they find multiple locations instead of taking turns to stand stiffly in a random corner??
    XuC seems ill.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have been wondering why no news of Jiang Yanjiao since the last All-China National Games (CNG, for short) and she hasn't been registered to play in any tournaments so far - it turned out that she's retired too after the CNG. Now I came across an article which mentioned that she retired quietly soon after Wang Lin and Wang Xin announced their retirements on their weibo (microblogs) http://sports.sina.com.cn/o/2014-02-...47026525.shtml .

As for Wang Lin, yes, she's taken up coaching, a decision she made soon after returning to Hangzhou for recuperation from her third knee injury sustained at the 2012 National Team Championship but without undergoing surgery.Later after the 2013 CNG where she played only one match, she made up her mind to retire. Some time ago, she even attended a one-week coaching class at the Shanghai Sports Institute. To further her specialized knowledge, she is preparing to take an entrance exam to become an on-the-job research student, balancing between studies and career. If her appearance as a coach at the just concluded China International Challenge is any indication, thanks to the photos AlanY posted at her thread, I think she is one of the coaches for the CHN national junior team.

As for Wang Xin, she's taking up Li Yongbo's suggestion and enrolled herself as a student of Beijing Sports University's Champions Class program of which Lu Lan, the 2009 WS World Champion, is already a student of whom Wang Xin once approached for related course information. If everything goes smoothly,Wang Xin will begin her course in September this year according to what she revealed.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sometimes I wonder why Chinese men doubles seem to retire early.

For example, He Hanbin, Tao Jiaming, Shen Ye, Guo Zhendong all retired aren't even 30 yet. Most of them continue playing in the CBSL.

In XD, the only quality men are zhang nan and xu chen. Wouldn't it be good to have extra men to play?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zhuangcorp View Post

For example, He Hanbin, Tao Jiaming, Shen Ye, Guo Zhendong all retired aren't even 30 yet. Most of them continue playing in the CBSL.

In XD, the only quality men are zhang nan and xu chen. Wouldn't it be good to have extra men to play?
    It's a good idea. But, you never know, BWF may limit 1 pair per nation for the Olympics in the future!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zhuangcorp View Post

Only GZD was truly good from those mentioned.

HHB was only decent in patches up to 2008 olympics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CBA has some good second-line players (in comparison to other countries) such as Chen Yuekun, Xue Song, Gao Huan, Tian Houwei in MS as well as Han Li, Sun Yu, Yao Xue, Suo Di in WS. Why does CBA not send them out consistently to participate in GP/GPG events? I feel like it would be much more conducive to the development of these young players to compete more, especially internationally and on a level somewhat lower than the SS/SSP events where they can consistently make it into the later stages of the event.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe it gets expensive to send them out to tournaments. Also they maybe want them to stay back and focus on training.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

That's true. Prize winnings are not at the point of being able to support flight and accomodation to a tournament.

Plus, China have a big pool of players and ex-players who can all train together.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with Woffle, training and then competing against compatriots only in domestic events, such as CBSL and national championships, is very different from playing at international events against foreign competition - there is simply no substitute for the mental aspect of competition where the stakes involved are much higher, the pressure , the expectation, the fear of losing, the elation of winning, and,most importantly, the chance to play in the international circuit and the hopes of bringing glory to nation and self.

Prize money shouldn't be a consideration, CHN can afford the expenses for flight,accommodation and support staff - it is the growth and development of the players, the valuable and irreplaceable experience gained, the real test on the international stage that truly matter for the CHN second stringers and juniors to raise their game.

As we know, the ROW routinely send their players to the lower tier events, the GP/GPGs, even the Int'l Challenge and Int'l Series levels; maybe CHN should do the same for their second tier and junior players, at least to the grand prix events.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast