User Tag List

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^ I'd love to know if the tips outrank the till...

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RedShuttle View Post
    What happened to the Lin Dan thread? Is Lin Dan banned on BC?

Meanwhile, Lin Dan and Li YongBo were guests on the March 14th episode of the TV show "Super Brain" (sorry, no translation):

I watched that one on Jiangsu Satellite TV where both Lin Dan and Li Yongbo were among the VIP guests; in fact, LYB is a regular at the show 'SuperBrain' and LD was specially invited to appear for the 14th episode which pitted China against Italy, won by China 3-1. Lin Dan also presented his autographed kit bags to the two youngest 12-yr-old contestants each, one from China and the other from Italy.

Precisely, with Lin Dan busy and distracted by so many commercial and outside activities, in addition to his top priority being his family, I really don't expect very much from his comeback. Somehow, I feel that Lin Dan made a mistake not continuing his comeback after winning the last WC and instead taking another 8-month break from active competition. IMHO, I think he'll require another 9 months to a year to get back to anywhere near his top form. Should he be granted another wild card entry to this WC'14, I wouldn't rate his chances higher than Chen Long and Lee CW in that order.

Right, what's wrong with the Lin Dan thread, not able to post anything ?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Justin L View Post

Precisely, with Lin Dan busy and distracted by so many commercial and outside activities, in addition to his top priority being his family, I really don't expect very much from his comeback. Somehow, I feel that Lin Dan made a mistake not continuing his comeback after winning the last WC and instead taking another 8-month break from active competition. IMHO, I think he'll require another 9 months to a year to get back to anywhere near his top form. Should he be granted another wild card entry to this WC'14, I wouldn't rate his chances higher than Chen Long and Lee CW in that order.

LD has to go out and earn money for CBA. If I remember correctly, LD made more than RMB40 million last year, and CBA gets a big percentage of that.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From What i see, lin dan has already outstretch and more famous than legends Yang Yang and zhao jian hua !

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pcll99 View Post
    LD has to go out and earn money for CBA. If I remember correctly, LD made more than RMB40 million last year, and CBA gets a big percentage of that.
    My understanding is that, of the prize money won, 50% goes to CBA with the player keeping half, whilst for commercial activities (advertisements, product endorsements,etc), 50% of the earnings goes to the State (as tax), CBA gets nothing. I got this from a Chinese article you once posted somewhere. Perhaps for the advertisements that are arranged by or through CBA for the players, then a certain percentage of the earnings is taken by CBA,I supposed, as that is only fair.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My understanding is that, of the prize money won, 50% goes to CBA with the player keeping half, whilst for commercial activities (advertisements, product endorsements,etc), 50% of the earnings goes to the State (as tax), CBA gets nothing. I got this from a Chinese article you once posted somewhere. Perhaps for the advertisements that are arranged by or through CBA for the players, then a certain percentage of the earnings is taken by CBA,I supposed, as that is only fair.
    I remember the article. But I thought the 50% goes to CBA.

maybe I misunderstood the meaning of "State".

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And I guess the reason why sometimes advertisers prefer to deal with CBA than direct with the players is because they want to ensure the players are granted permission and time-off to shoot the commercials. For Lin Dan's case, when he was/is on long leave, he has all the time in the world to shoot commercials with anyone,anywhere and anytime, I think.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrerkiko View Post
    From What i see, lin dan has already outstretch and more famous than legends Yang Yang and zhao jian hua !
    It's actually a reflection of the times we live in- instant and pervasive communications, technology, repetitive exposure... if ZJH were to co-exist in the same generation and times as LD, he'd probably have made for a more interesting and lively icon and legend, IMO.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
    It's actually a reflection of the times we live in- instant and pervasive communications, technology, repetitive exposure... if ZJH were to co-exist in the same generation and times as LD, he'd probably have made for a more interesting and lively icon and legend, IMO.
    If you open that dangerous floodgate called "if", you don't even have to touch things like the internet. Only if ZJH's medical problem were handled better, he would have left a much bigger mark in the history of badminton.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe Zhao Jian hua did not have enough rest that he needed to , for Lin dan he get to skip tournaments as tough he like it, eg Singapore Li ning open , a few times he skip it !

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I watched that one on Jiangsu Satellite TV where both Lin Dan and Li Yongbo were among the VIP guests; in fact, LYB is a regular at the show 'SuperBrain' and LD was specially invited to appear for the 14th episode which pitted China against Italy, won by China 3-1. Lin Dan also presented his autographed kit bags to the two youngest 12-yr-old contestants each, one from China and the other from Italy.

Right, what's wrong with the Lin Dan thread, not able to post anything ?
    I don't think LD needs to spend much time to prepare for this show. Wow, but it's the first time I watched this show. All the contestants are super genius.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Indeed these talents enjoy their prime in different periods of badminton history.

But maybe Yang Yang's experience has been more varied and challenging since he was not only the top player in his time but he became a successful coach, albeit for a relatively short time and a business entrepreneur.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe Zhao Jian hua did not have enough rest that he needed to , for Lin dan he get to skip tournaments as tough he like it, eg Singapore Li ning open , a few times he skip it !
    I'm afraid having enough rest wouldn't help much and ,besides, there weren't that many tournaments during his time. It was his impaired lungs (reduced capacity) from contracting pneumonia at age 20 that handicapped him. In fact, he was ruled out by the doctor from competitive badminton but he persisted and by sheer willpower and determination carried on for several more years albeit with fluctuating form despite which he still kept us spellbound with such wonderful badminton that till today many of us can't help but engage in counterfactual thinking. Anyway, I'd better not open the floodgates of 'what if', 'if only', etc.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RedShuttle View Post
    If you open that dangerous floodgate called "if", you don't even have to touch things like the internet. Only if ZJH's medical problem were handled better, he would have left a much bigger mark in the history of badminton.
    Agree. No arguments with your point! However, the thrust of my point was to underline only the "famous" aspect that Ferrerkiko brought up.
    ...and that is directly related to the times the players existed in as pros; exposure, perception and build-up were much more low-key and even staid, compared to the explosion of media awareness and slick positioning post-2005. Much more money has found its way into the sport (sponsorships and endorsements, brand ambassadorships etc) and all of this along with the social media network, has changed how we perceive our present-day heroes and icons.

ZJH had (has) a quirky and impish character behind his pro persona, and in part due to his physical problems, could also be seen as more fallible and human. And therefore, possibly, more easily related to and more respected and appreciated (loved?) had he to co-exist in the same era as LD. This is just my personal opinion.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check this out! A very nice promo for Badminton Challenge, a national wide competition among amateurs:

http://video.sina.com.cn/p/sports/o/...663645623.html

Name:  7a9c1021tw1eeng3is9bsj20rx1bm11r.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  98.6 KB

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know I'm going to sound like a typical CHN fan but, honestly speaking, apart from the top 3 WS, namely LXR,WYH and WSX, I'm keenly watching and looking forward to the rise of Sun Yu, Liu Xin, Yao Xue and,possibly a bit later, Qin Jinjing and He Bingjiao to join the ranks of their illustrious sisters; esp the first three aforementioned of the latter,i.e. SY,LX and YX, whom I believe are already as good as ,if not better than, any of the ROW's top 10 players.

Hold on,it's not that I've forgotten to mention Suo Di, just that I'm somehow more impressed with Yao Xue whom I feel has a better attacking game but needs to cut down on her loose shots and tighten her game, including her defensive ability and more patient construction of rallies both of which she has recently shown considerable improvement. Nevertheless, I'm certainly not writing Suo Di off,it's simply my preference for Yao Xue at the moment; the future is hard to say, the more so for CHN players.

As for CHN MS, apart from Lin Dan, a special case for I consider him semi-retired despite his expressed earnest intention to come back because I really don't expect him to play that many tournaments except the majors as well as what is necessary to maintain his world ranking - there is only Chen Long, the most outstanding one whilst the rest of his teammates are, at best, no better than any of the top players in the ROW, with the exception of Lee CW, of course, who is in the same league as LD and CL.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default A very interesting article for an inside look of Chinese Badminton

This is an article about the former team manager of the Chinese National Team Li WeiGuo.

http://translate.google.com/translat...htm&edit-text=

A few interesting factoids from the article

• He joined the army team in 1975. But the reduction in military came and he was released. He became a worker at a textile factory. When ShangDong province wanted to set up a badminton team, they found him and he was back in badminton. In 1995, he joined the QingDao team. Facing limited budget, he offered to give up the budget but wanted autonomy. He opened the courts to the public and got commercial sponsorship. The team came out of poverty and was able to get heating for the courts. He was even able to send his players to play Grand Prix events. In 2001, when the national team was training in QingDao, LYB asked him to become the National Team manager.

• At 2009 World Championships in India, there were terrorist threats. Sandbag bunkers with machine guns were everywhere. England pulled out and went home. Danish and Dutch teams moved into their local consulates. The security personnels at the Chinese team's hotel had only run-down weapons. After a lengthy wait, the Chinese Sports General Administration told the badminton team to make a decision for themselves. The players started to panic. The team called the Chinese embassy for help. After discussions with BWF and the organizers, the BWF VP and local police chief promised to upgrade the security for the Chinese team. Next day, the team saw new security personnels with new weapons, team bus and policy cruise were also replaced by new vehicles. Only then the Chinese team decided to stay.

• At 2012 Olympics, after "the event", the team was preparing to appeal. But the Chinese Olympic Delegation ordered the team to accept the BWF decision.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast