where to find the cheapest prices of racquets in singapore?

Discussion in 'Market Place' started by tcstay, Jan 3, 2004.

1. tcstay

tcstay Regular Member

student
    i personally has no preferences over any shops...
    as long as they offer good advice and services and prices... but haha, that's is of coz the ultimate key to good sales figures....

i went to bras basah (near the city area) today... and bot a racquet at the badminton shop (at the ground floor) today...
    unsurprisingly... most of the shop owners in fact dun recommend yonex as it's not a sure guarantee of quality and they're way over-priced....

there's this old uncle, who happens to be in the shop, who also knows the shop owner... introduced to me various apecs racquets... which are actually proace racquets designed for asian markets and much more competitively-priced. i fancied the one that looks like yonex musclepower 99 and i bot it....
    and guess wat, it costs only S$65 and it comes with free string... bg66...

the uncle is really helpful and friendly... and he commented that such offer is once in a blue moon, only available when he happens to appear in this shop. and he can offers such cheap prices without 'incurring the wrath of the shopowner' is that he always play with his friends, one of which happens to be the husband of the shopowners... and that he always buy their racquets in bulk, and that's why he has the 'authority' and 'privilege' to offer such prices.

watever it is, i'm really delighted to have picked up such an attractive deal.
    and the racquet is pretty solid, and even if it ever breaks (i haven't break any before...), it's still good value for money coz it cost only a eighth of the original yonex mp 99....

but i would like to receive more reviews and feedbacks on the various badminton shops in Singapore...
    coz i would like to know more about other shops that offer good prices and racquets... and compare the two shops in bras basah, plus one at crawford centre (dunno whether it still exists or not), and shops at queensway and those outside the badminton halls... etc etc... thanks.

2. klc28

klc28 Regular Member

TCstay,

Can you tell me what is the model of the ProAce racket you bought?
    In your opinion does it play like an Yonex MP99?

Thanks for any help you could give me.

I used to live in Singapore and bought my rackets at Queensway.

Cheers, klc28

3. tcstay

tcstay Regular Member

student
    harlow, it's powerconcept 998. just got it from the store a few days ago.

the feeling is quite all right, smashes kinda powerful but i need to control my landing of shots more. need to get some time to get used to it.

btw, my friends commented that this racquet is slightly heavier that flymax version.

i'm so sorry, i'm broke, so never tried yonex mp99 before......

4. klc28

klc28 Regular Member

tcstay,

Thanks for the reply.

Cheers, klc28

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu

#5 cooler, Jan 12, 2004
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2004
  6. tcstay

tcstay Regular Member

student
    Re: Re: where to find the cheapest prices of racquets in singapore?

- oh well, indeed it's true, but that's in the past. now all the prices had dropped tremendously due to more mp series introduced, isn't it?
    - wat i mean is that the whole racquet feels rather stiff, i've seen before sintec racquets that can withstand feet stepping onto the shaft without breaking. wat i want is a stiffer racquet.
    - and oh yes, of coz, the price is inclusive of both the string and stringing.
    - oh well, actually no, it comes with a badminton bag instead, adding S$10 if u want. but coz i got one already, so i dun see the need to buy another one.
    - there's no need for guarantee of quality; it all depends on how well and careful u take care of ur racquet, this is wat i believe. all companies' guarantees will go bonkers if that particular player keep breaking his/her racquets within the guarantee period. btw, apacs is the asian market version for Proace. so the quality can't be that bad.
    - fyi, i had seen before the pricing of bg66 in other shops too. in singapore, the pricing of the string don't differ much, at most only a dollar or two. and the price is always inclusive of stringing, so it's a well-worth deal afterall.

hope these replies solve ur doubts. cheers.

7. tcstay

tcstay Regular Member

student
    that is my first time using an isometric racquet...
    so used to the oval-shaped conventional racquets. but i dun feel much difference bet the two, but IMO, i find that it's true to say that isometric racquets got larger sweetspots, but harder to aim or place ur shots.

correct me if i'm wrong.

8. PoseidonLee

PoseidonLee Regular Member

Technician
    Hi TCstay,

think the shop you bought the racket is 10&10 sports ... so did you buy from the "little moustach" man? He's is known as "david, the con man"! hahah!! He 's a damn good salesman, friendly lor, just that if first time there sure kena ripped one ... kekeke!!! And in this shop, they will never recommend you any other racket other then Proace and Apacs... why ... they are the distributor for the racket in sg.

Fyi, I also has a Apac 998 concept( search thru the older threads), mine's a 4u version, bought in JB: RM159 for 2! w/o string but free 1 bag. Bag with my friend ... so my 998 cost me abt sgd $37 + $12 bg 66 strung at 10&10 itself!

IMO, it does not play like the mp99, too light for my liking. Anyway, this racket is not in my storerm liao ... banned all Mps and iso ... STICKING to my cab 20s.

:)

9. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    There are many MP99 copycats in the market. They cost anything from HK$150 to HK$450. I have tried them. Even at these low prices, I don't think its good value for money as they are nothing like the real ones.

10. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    that's what i thot too but I don't want to disappoint someone who is happy with his purchase (ie, i held back;) )

#10 cooler, Jan 12, 2004
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2004
  11. tcstay

tcstay Regular Member

student
    no worries, mine is a 3U version and my friend found that it's a tad too heavy. of coz, i understand that of coz one will try his utmost to promote the brand that he's carrying. that goes for sure.

i'm happy, yes, but more of contented ya.
    i've no grudges about the pricing or the shop or service.
    take things easy, otherwise, things will only get worse.
    oh ya, it's freedom of speech ya. so no need for holding back any comments or watsoever.

cheers. to all badminton lovers, irregardless of the make or model that u're using.

12. lohpp

lohpp Regular Member

I just back from a shop in Ang Mo kio central -- Hawker centre - near the toilet. MP 99 for S$195.00 include string and grip. The boss there quite nice with advise, service very good. Saw Ti 10, MP 100 .. etc

Maybe you can try this shop.

13. tcstay

tcstay Regular Member

student
    but i chanced upon an earlier thread in which some said that the bras basah shop (dunno which level or which shop...) is selling mp100 at bout 160 bucks only...

can anyone verify this? thanks.

because, if it's true, then it's super cheap. the prob is i don't go to bras basah or even ang mo kio that often.

14. Merquis

Merquis Regular Member

Student
    Happen to past by Bras Basah today and went to take a look at those racket, The Cab 20sp is once again back!!

And MP100 2uG4 and 3uG5 is available at 2 different shop on level 1, Music Book Room and 10x10, Music Book Room offer me SGD$170 including Bg66 string.

10x10 offer me SGD$169, I didn't ask if they include string as well, so sorry I cannot confirm if the price include Bg66 string.

Ranking Sports and Zenith sports both at level 3 have the Carbonex 20sp(Original) for sale, Ranking Sports offer me SGD$90 and they only have 1 piece left in the shop, Zenith Sports offer me SGD$95 and they have 2 pieces left.

Anyway, if you are buying from 10x10 a piece of advise is to just go in and buy what you have in mind.

15. tcstay

tcstay Regular Member

student
    i see, thanks a lot. that's really solid advice that i've been looking for, rather than comments that contradict and useless.

haha, i can see that 10X10 is quite persuasive in their approach, but their pricing is still rather reasonable.

actually, if i'm not wrong, they also have the carbonex 20sp and they sell for 80 bucks... whereas the carb21 is at 100 bucks at an earlier time, but when i asked the female boss the second time round, she stated it at 110.

gee, did u try to bargain for a cheaper price for mp100?:D

16. msenghl

msenghl Regular Member

Project Manager
    The shop at level 3 bras basah, which is also selling guitar etc, are selling MP 100 at S$160 excluding string, include will be $170 w/ BG 66 string, TI 10 2U is at $150 w/o string. The last time I asked about a month ago they have only 2U ones. They have a lot of stock inside the store so they fool by those hanging around, and the sticker price is slightly higher so ask for the pricealways lower by about $20 to $30.

Otherwise, another shop you can try is at Tampines Sports complex, price also quite reasonable.

BTW, does anyone know where to get Ti 10 3U in Sin?

#16 msenghl, Jan 14, 2004
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2004
  17. tcstay

tcstay Regular Member

student
    all rite~ thanks! great info, and i hope that they will consider revising the price, considering that it's festive mood, everyone wanna a good deal... kekekke....

i'm going to tampines sports complex to play badminton again today, so will ask the lady over there about the pricing. the auntie is a very nice lady, loves to chit-chat one....:D

18. klc28

klc28 Regular Member

tcstay,

How was the pricing in Tampines?
    Haven't been out to Telepark for quite some time.

19. tcstay

tcstay Regular Member

student
    the boss in that tampines shop is some chinese national lady...
    the auntie that i got to know is her employee, i'm aware of this quite some time ago.

but nowadays, my playing hours changed so i can't get a better price from the friendly auntie.

and the female boss quoted me MP100 for about 190...
    rather expensive ya?

and i can't remember the pricing for MP99, coz if i'm not wrong, she told me that there are two editions that she had.. one is Thailand one and the other is SP code.

and the SP one is much more expensive, whereas the thai one costs about 210 bucks... woah....

20. msenghl

msenghl Regular Member

Project Manager
    I have bought a MP100 SP 3U from her, who is the owner of the shop, for $180 with BG 66 string.

You are right that MP 99 TH 3U, she is selling it for $210 with string, and MP 99 SP 2U, selling for $225. I have check out shops in Bras Basah, MP 99 are selling something like $225 at the shop on Level 3, and Music Room Level 1, can't remember whether they come with string or not.

BTW, if anyone of you out there know somewhere in Singapore is selling Yonex Titanium 10 in 3U, do let me know. Thanks.