Is it allowed to resign from a 'set'?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Faisal, Jan 3, 2004.

1. Faisal

Faisal Regular Member

Student
    I don't think it is but just wanted to check...for instance, if a player has won the first set but in the 2nd set is far behind his/her opponent (say 0-10). Then is it possible to give up 'that' set inorder to save some energy for the final game? Would be nice won't it? :cool:

2. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    I don't think so

If you resigned you would have to resign from the entire game and forefeit the match, it would be easier to just give the remaining points away by hitting fake smashes into the net or hitting clears out of the back of the court so that your actions do not look too suspicious.

3. ynexfan2003

ynexfan2003 Regular Member

Part time (unpaid) wine tester
  4. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    If you're already losing that bad and you think you have absolutely no way (and I mean absolutely no way because I've seen some ppl come bak from 0-14 to beating their opponent 16-14) then you could just let their serve drop

Otherwise just go for it, the time you spend losing energy ur opponent will also, no loss in trying

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    LOL, IBF will reprimand him for throwing a game:p

6. teddy

teddy Regular Member

If you were playing in a world championship match, you might be forced to admit you were rigging the match. hehe :D :D

7. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    Instead of hitting fake smashes into the net or hitting clears out of the back of the court, I did see a lot of matches that the players gave up a game simply stop chasing down every shots and save energy for the next game. I doubt if the players will be reprimanded.

8. tcstay

tcstay Regular Member

student
    just go for it, no big deal even if u lose embarrassingly.
    one will look like such a sore loser if he/she gives up just like dat.
    even if it seems impossible, still must give it a shot coz at least winning a few points back as some saving grace.
    at least u break the duck ya.

9. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    You could just take it easy and drop and clear your way out of the 2nd set:D

10. ptang777

ptang777 Regular Member

This would be the best time for you to try new stradegies to figure out why you were in that situation in the first place. Or else the same will continue in the next set.

11. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    If it's for me, I'd go ahead and try to stretch the other guy to see how much fighting spirit I have. The other thing I'd try is perhaps shots which I am not used to - using this as a perfect ground to test if I can carry out strokes in a real game.

Even at 0 - 10, I think I'd still try to fight back because losing 10-15 is definitely nicer than 0-15.

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    There was one match 1999 WC mens singles s/final, Fund Permadi won the 1st set against Peter Gade, lost the 2nd set 15-1, then won the 3rd set 15-14. I'm guessing Fung was taking a breather.

13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    if i were you, i would use the oppotunity to run the opponent around a little bit, do some fast clears, slow but tight drops, hit to all 4 corners. since you are planning to give away the set anyway, might as well get something out of it...

14. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    Cooler & Teddy

I thought you could still be booted out of a competition if organisers see you giving games away, I didn't think it mattered at what level you play it's the principle.

15. fhchiang

fhchiang Regular Member

i think this happened during china open 2003...

when Zhou Mi Faces Gong Ruina In the Final...

gong Resigned In the Second Set ,she told the umpire she couldn't go on... her knee is very painful

16. edwin

edwin Regular Member

Computer Programmer
    This is a very different scenario. Gong lost her first set and then asked to resigned in the second set because of pain, thus forfeiting her match. The original posted asked if you win your first set, whether your'e allowed to resign in the second set and then focus on the third set.

17. Phil

Phil Regular Member

Lawyer
    I sort of did this before a couple years ago in what is still the best match I've ever played. (relative to my skill and opponent at the time) I won first set 15-12 or so, was too winded and got crushed 4-15 second set, used the full 5 minute break, then and was down 4-10 and 10-14 during the third game, fought back and won 17-14. The second game was kind of a rest for me, and combined with the 5 minute break was the only thing that let me back into the match.

My mom still says I was just lucky... :(

Phil

18. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Unfortuately, you just can't give up a game (they don't call it a 'set' nowadays - confusing!) mid-way before the full 15 points is up and tell the umpire that you will take a '5-minute rest' before playing the decider. You can give up only when you are injured and can't continue but you have to surrender the match. You lose!

As what the others have said, as a strategy you can 'throw' away the second game by not returning any shot from your opponent but you have to complete the full 15 points. Of course, you may try to exhaust your opponent by employing the tactics described by Kwum, but this may backfire if your opponent is clearly fitter than you at that point in time and he may make you run round in circles instead. If your aim is to conserve your energy and to put yourself in a better state of mind, don't bother to return the shots.

Take a good 5 minutes rest, refresh yourself, take some tips from your coach and give your all in the rubber. You may yet be able to win the match. Others have done so even in international matches!

19. Faisal

Faisal Regular Member

Student
    Why?