Thick But Light Grips...

Discussion in 'Grip' started by Mark Winston, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Mark Winston

Mark Winston Regular Member

Hi guys, I'm finding for very thick but light PU grips... can anyone help me out with what brand... currently I'm using Karakal Super PU grips (2 grips) but they are quite heavy and changes the racket's static bp point by too much... anything as thick (or thicker) but lighter than those? It needs to grip like the Karakals too... Thanks in advance! :)

2. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Why not try self-adhesive foam tape as a first layer? It's pretty light:).

3. Mark Winston

Thanks for the reply Mark... :) You mean double sided tape? Are those really light? Lighter than PU grips? Are those thicker than those Karakal Super PU grips?

4. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

You can get single or double sided foam tape - either would do because you're going to have to re-apply it if you pull a Karakal off it:). Either way, the tape is very light.

However, if you get single-sided tape, you can put an overgrip on top, and change grips as many times as you like without destroying it.

5. Mark Winston

Sounds like a plan! I will try it out on my old Carb 21 SP first so that I don't screw up my Apacs Virtuoso Performance... lol! Have you tried it Mark? :) Anyone here tried this?

6. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I know some tennis players who've tried it, their only complaint being that it takes the foam a while to harden, and changes shape while it does:).

7. Mark Winston

Why do they want it to harden? Shouldn't it be on the soft and plushy side?

8. amleto

amleto Regular Member

don't worry about it, changing static BPs with over grips wont affect the swing weight.

9. Mark Winston

So I can put on e.g 5 grips to the handle of a 295mm bp point (head heavy) racket without affecting what the racket can actually produce power wise?

10. Elisha

Elisha Regular Member

Your racket will feel different because of the size of the grip and the overall weight but the swing weight remains the same. Your manoeuvrability will change depending on how thin or thick the grip is.

11. Mark Winston

So it will feel different but it won't affect what a 295mm bp point racket will do produce right? Funny thing is when I wrap 2 Karakal Super PU grips, I felt my smashes were weaker, as though I have lost power, even though it is more comfortable... is it just me...?

12. amleto

amleto Regular Member

some of smash power is generated through grip tightening close to impact. The size of the grip compared to the size of your hand plays a part here as to what is optimal.

In terms of the actual racket and the amount of energy needed to swing the racket - no, extra weight on the handle won't affect this.

However, ill-fitting grips can force you to grip too hard and this will sap energy and explosiveness from your swing if your forearm is too tense.

In summary, grip size can affect power, but not because it modifies the static bp.

13. Mark Winston

Now I know I need a thicker grip! Absorbs unwanted vibration too! :) Thanks for the tip!