Who is the Chinese coach?

Discussion in 'Thomas Laybourn Forum' started by Cheung, Jan 4, 2004.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Thomas

Hope you had a good Christmas.:)

During the HK Open, I saw a chinese coach sitting with the Danish team.

Could we know a little more about him?

How much is he involved in the team training?

How long has he been with you?

What is his name?

Particular area of expertise? (singles or doubles)

2. Laybourn

Laybourn Regular Member

Hi Cheung

Well the chinise coach the danish team had with them in HK is called Lin, i don´t know his last name and infact i´m not even sure if i´m spelling the first name right.

But anyhow he is our techniqal coach and he trains with us everyday. He usually has 2 players with him for about 40 mins and then we changes so two new goes down to him. Everybody has some individual things they work on, and he helps us with the right technique etc. Sometimes we also do footwork with him, so everybody stands next to each other and he points in the direction we have to go. (really hard)

I think it is nice to have an asian point of view of things, because there are many things we can learn from the asian players/coaches (technique, footwork etc.)

I think he has been in Denmark for 10 years but only 5 years with the danish team.

There are also a chinise coach called Zhang in a town called aarhus. We have a center in aarhus for players almost good enough to come to broendby, were the main center for the danish team is.

I don´t think he is better in double than single but pretty allround, and like i said we normally don´t use him for tactics, only footwork and technique. (You know offcource the danish coaches are better tactics than the asians:D )

Thomas

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    this guy? (2nd from right)

Attached Files:

4. Laybourn

Laybourn Regular Member

Yep that´s the guy...

From left:
    Kenneth Jonassen
    Jesper Larsen
    Anders Boesen
    Lin
    Jim Laugesen

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    the guy's full name is Zhang Lin Ying.

he has quit a long history. originally coach of the TianJin team in China. he went to Denmark in the late 80s to work in a cosmetics company, later on helped brought Peter Rasmussen and P.E.Hoyer Larson to their success.

there is a long story on him but it is in Chinese, anybody care to translate?

http://www.badmintonline.com/aaa/dispbbs.asp?boardID=16&ID=14031

the story in the article goes something like:

in the 1989, there is a Christensen family who owns a cosmetic company/factory hired Lin from China as an employee. Lin was treated like a family. the elder Christensen is a Chairman of the Danish badminton federation.

Lin later on started coaching Christensen's son to become the Danish mixed and doubles champions.

(i wonder if Christensen's son is Peter ?)

later on, PEHL and Peter Rasmussen also received coaching from Lin, and they went and won the '96 Olympics and '97 WC respectively...

6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    he look quite young for someone with a long history.

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    according to the article, he was 32 in 1989. so he is now around 47.

8. JR

JR Regular Member

Professional Badmintonplayer
    Jon Holst Christensen!!

The Christensen son you´re talking about is Jon Holst. He came second in the Worldchampionships with his famous partner Thomas Lund in 1995. Thomas and Jon have always been a great inspiration for me growing up to become like them.

Jon taught me about menatl training when I came to the national center in Brondby. He said that he believe that I could go very far but had to work on the mental side of badminton. I owe him great thanks for my achievements the last 6 months.

Jonas

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    JR,

Jon Holst! yes. it all make sense now! thanks for clarifying that.

talking about your achievement in the past few months. i think everybody who's watched your tournaments will agree that you and Lars have your own special style of play.

other Danish pairing like Jens and Martin relies mainly on fast heavy power attack, you and lars on the other hands, mixed with a lot more fine control, often challenging the Asians in the fast drives and accurate placement of shots. add on top of that a great awareness of the rally and formation of each side.

is the deviation from the "tradition" something that your coach strive for? will that become the new style of Danish MD for the future?

10. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    1. The spell i believe is Zhang, Lian Ying

2. Head coach from Tianjin??? Wow, that's MY hometown. Too bad, I was too young to know any good players / coaches back then.

3. So, he does have connection with Dong Jiong's lost in 96, and Sun Jun's famous battle in 97... Wow... Such a legend, as he's been involved with many generations of both nations.