workout (weight, cardio) routines???

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Oranjmaan, Jan 4, 2004.

1. Oranjmaan

Oranjmaan Regular Member

student, Kumon Math Marker (w00t!)
    does neone do them? specifically for badminton even? lol, is there neone would like to post for other to use (eg me :D)? thx in advance. in fact, how about diets? nebody tried one b4 with badminton in mind?

2. SchrodingerCat

SchrodingerCat New Member

looking for one
    exercise

20 mins of Cardio per day.
    Weight bearing exercise every 2 days. Try to have a complete work out of all major muscles.

This is just my 2 cents.

3. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

don't concentrate on the beach muscles (i.e. biceps, abs, pecs)) to the exclusion of all else. Most people neglect their upper and lower back even though it plays a very important part of badminton. Notice how many people on this board complain about lack of backhand strength? :rolleyes:

4. firebolt_201

firebolt_201 Regular Member

student
    id say just do everything ... its not like u will be playin badminton only :/
    id say ..

3 days of the week for jogging 20 mins +
    2 days of the week for weight train

even tho i only do 2 day of jogging a week :D and none weight train :(

5. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    I can beat that - I do the jogging once a month now :D and the only weight I lift is myself up the stairs :D

Beating the old drum again try to get a hold of the book by Bo Omossegaard (I do hope I have spelled it correctly) called "Physical training for Badminton" it is a bit dated but still very relevant. I totaly agree with BRL and Cat about working the entire body do not just work specific groups.

Even now many juniors work an Olympic programe which basically means they work everything using a progeame based on Olympic weight lifters so they are not lopsided as some players can testify.

6. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

Hey Oranjmaan,

I've been going to the gym quite often to workout for badminton, the following is my workout routine:

1. On the bike for 15-20 mins (cardio/manual)

2. Quad workout. This can be done by riding the bike at a high manual level - the lazy way out. Or you can get on the leg press machine which I do more often.

3. Calf/Hamstring workout. I usually do this on the "calf press" (unfortunately i'm not sure if this is the correct name of the machine or not); this machine concentrates the workout for your calfs/hamstrings. It is similar to the leg press but using just your calfs to press instead.

4. Abs workout. This can be done anywhere; at home or at the gym. Everyday I try to do 3 sets of situps/crunchies (about 40-50 in one set).

5. Forearm/Backarm workout. Easily done at home or in the gym. Take a 12-15 lbs (or if that's too much, a little less) dumbbell do some "wrist curls". This is done by placing your forearm or backarm flat on a table or your leg and just moving your wrist up and down.

That's my basic "badminton workout." It concentrates heavily on the quads which is important for your movement around the court (push off, lunge, etc). Concentrates on my calfs which is important for that "explosive" movement from the get-go.

I agree with brl on not to concentrate on the biceps, etc. because muscles such as the biceps really aren't a key to any badminton strokes. If you are looking for a stronger smash, tripceps are more useful to you than your biceps. However, one beach muscle you should workout are your abs. Strong abs are necessary for one who plays badminton; they help support the person to "bend down low" (when defending) and other endurance factors.

I myself don't usually workout my upperbody as much as my quads, etc, lowerbody. Even my forearm/backarm workout, I only do them once a week. Reason: I play a lot. And because I play a lot, it doesn't give that much time for my upper muscles to recover (which take longer to recover than quads, etc). When they don't recover, my shots are always messed up, I lose the "right" feeling when hitting the bird.

Anyways, hope that helps. Oranjmaan, are you playing in that derrick tourny?

7. firebolt_201

firebolt_201 Regular Member

student
    pfft .. i also said to do everything ... :p

8. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

So how would I go about working my back muscles?

9. Pecheur

Pecheur Regular Member

I used to do this, usually sitting at my computer chair with one of the arms using the mouse with the other hand to web surf. However when I worked out that badminton shots are actually mainly pronation, I figured that curls don't really help much so I moved to doing forehand and backhand pronation instead (it's easy too since you don't have to count to work out if you're done that same amount on each side ;P)

Of course now I'm far too slack and rely on using the mouse to build up my muscles ;P

#9 Pecheur, Jan 5, 2004
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2004
  10. Phil

Phil Regular Member

Lawyer
    Here is a sample aerobic circuit that is meant for badminton. It is comprised of 10 circuits, each one comprised of a skipping part, a footwork routine, and strength. There is no rest time, ideal completion time is around 23 minutes or so. When it starts getting easy increase the number of skips, or number of circuits, or whatever.

1. 150 skips, 2 laps sprint around gym (gym used is a a 4 court gym, so it ends up being about 200 metres), 20 crunches
    2. 150 skips, 2 laps running backwards, 20 pushups
    3. 150 skips, 2 laps chasse step, 20 burpees.... and it goes on

The skips can be varied, for example you can do 1 foot skips switching every 10 skips, or normal 2-foot skips with a double skip every 10 skips, and running skips on the spot (hard to coordinate at first). The running component repeats itself; sprint, backwards, chasse. The strength component is mainly ab and back exercises like leg raises, V-sits, and back raises.

Phil

11. yonexfanatic

actually that's true. I do the pronation movements for the workout occasionally, however when I do them too fast, my wrists start to click and it leads to it being quite sore. How quick do/did you do them?

12. bigredlemon

For upper back: bent over rows and reverse flat flys are excellent.
    For lower back and hamstrings: deadlifts

13. bigredlemon

yonexfanatic,

heres what I would do differently:

1. Work with heavy weights first, do cardio last.
    Reasoning: you build muscle by pushing it as far as it can. If you do cardio first , it'll take a long time to get tired (endurance). When you are doing the lifting then, you can't lift as much due to the tiredness. If you lift weights first, then do cardio, you'll develop more strength and endurance in a shorter time.

Think back to your highshool/university training program... your coach always had you lift weights first for a reason. This was true to me for every sport i was in, though the coaches never actually made a point about it.

2. Sitting in front of the computer and endlessly lifting weights will:
    a) damage your muscles
    b) weaken your joints
    c) do little to help your game.

Remember that exercise itself is harmful to the body. It's the body's recovery process that makes us stronger. You want to minimize the amount of exercise you do while maximizing the amount of recovery you get. This means training yourself hard and fast, then leaving that muscle group alone for at least 2 days (abs and legs can be done everyday if not too intense.) If you want endurance, do 20 reps with the heaviest weight. You'll gain a lot more endurance this way than using half the weight and doing 100 reps.

14. yonexfanatic

Yes, i totally agree. I actually never meant to put my excercise in a specific order; I just put cardio first because Oranjmaan asked about it and for some reason it came to my head first;).

I forgot to mention doing a "warmup." Before doing any weights, and I only suggest doing dumbell curls at home, make sure you use light weights first (4-5 lbs); that way you won't risk tearing your muscles or fairly damaging your joints.

As for sitting in front of the computer lifting weights (quoting Pecheur), I lean towards brl's opinion. I would assume you are multitasking; concentrating on the comp and paying less attention to the excercise ,which is why i'm assuming you're saying it'll damage the muscles/joints, or else I don't see how else that could happen if a proper "warmup" is done beforehand. I have no arguments for doing the curls at home just as long as one concentrates mostly on the excercise at hand and not doing it very quickly.

15. bigredlemon

'm not concerned about whether you are paying attention or not while lifting at the computer... i'm concerned about over-lifting. Muscle gains (strength or endurance) comes from maximal exertion. It's hard to give 110% lounging at the computer. Maximal exertion only need to take 2x20 reps at most for endruance, and that's about 3-4 minutes of work at most. Sitting in front of the computer, one would probably lift for longer periods, and with less weight.

If you're going to workout, workout hard. Putting in 50% or 250% will only hurt you in the long run.

16. yonexfanatic

i would think it'd depend on the person. one who knows what he/she is doing should know what amount of weights to use and how long he should be doing it...regarding whether or not he's on the computer.:rolleyes:

but like you said one might over do it..wouldn't that be a factor of "paying attention?"

17. QWJr

QWJr Regular Member

it is really recommendable to do weights before cardio, because of the possibility of an injury, and after a warm up.

18. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

Depending on your technique, the biceps can play a part.
    Forearm supination is done with muscles deep inside the forearm, and also by the biceps. The more your arm is bent at the elbow, the greater the part played by the biceps.
    And forearm supination is used for, (fat and old, thin and young), backhand.

19. Pecheur

Pecheur Regular Member

Actually I disagree with a lot of this, to make a blanket statement like: "Muscle gains (strength or endurance) comes from maximal exertion" is blantantly wrong, you can get get significant muscle gain from 75%, 50% or even 30% exertion, you just won't get the maximum benefit from doing it. Doing say 2x20 set of sit ups a day for your average joe will give a large amount of muscle gain and that's no where near maximal exertion. In my case I put on muscle doing 2 x 20 pushups, is that even 50% of what I can do? Nope. (Can I be bother doing it? Nope again ;))

Overlifting is purely a function of the person/mindset. Being the lazy slob I am I get no where near 250%, hell I don't even get near 80%, working out at 50% of your capacity will actually do far less damage to your body in the long run that working out at 100% will.

20. Chia

Chia Regular Member

High School
    all u need to work out is one body part a week.. like for me its monday - biceps, triceps, forearms. Wednesdays - chest, back, abs, traps friday - legs