User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Poll on whether Visor should redo the vid in a mankini or not.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by |_Footwork_| View Post
    you guys are trolling me, aren't you?

or does anybody really think this serve is too high? that's just ridiculous!
    Definitely not trolling! BWF needs to come up with definition that is understandable and clear to clarify the ambiguity.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yay!! So I am not crazy that I thought his serve was 'dangerously high' after all!! Thank you all ye Badminton Gods... thee hath vindicated me...

On a side note, I actually had seen all those pics and gif posted by @Craig long ago, the first time this issue came up and I actually was quite sure that our dear friend @visor was striking the shuttle above. Strange how two people can look at the same thing and come to two different conclusions. Whats even more confusing is when you look at the gif, its clear that there is no straight line that can be drawn for the rib.

From the front view of the body, the last rib starts somewhere above the belly button and then angles downwards towards the sides (love handles). So looking from the side view of the body, the last rib is definitely lower than where it 'started' at the sternum.

I do have another doubt though... what happens when the server bends down and serves? I mean, not at the knees but bends his back down forward and serves. This way, it would be difficult for the service umpire to 'judge' whether the shuttle was hit below the 'imaginary line drawn along the last rib'.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my opinion, the serve looks a little high. However, it is not so high as to concern me about the rules and unfair advantages and all that nonsense - i.e. I would not advise lowering it, but would always consider it to be as high as it could possibly be (as opposed to my own serve, as an example, which could potentially be a couple of centimetres higher and still be ok).

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Not willing to let this rest yet...
    So I took @craigandy 's frame grab and put in some lines to show the slant in the video camera angle.

The bottom line is the straight level of the mat, and the top line is the line that my serves stay under. This top line is lower than the blue line I marked in the slow mo video, and imho, is lower than my lowest rib margin.
    Last edited by visor; 11-16-2013 at 06:39 PM.

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Pic...............

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Pic..........

Crappppp..,m,, why does the forum downzize my pic@??@!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by visor; 11-16-2013 at 06:56 PM.

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Try posting pic again...

Not willing to let this rest yet...

So I took @craigandy 's frame grab and put in some lines to show the slant in the video camera angle.

The bottom line is the straight level of the mat, and the top line is the line that my serves stay under. This top line is lower than the blue line I marked in the slow mo video, and imho, is probably the level of my lowest rib margin.

Name:  Serve waist.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  26.3 KB
    Last edited by visor; 11-16-2013 at 07:15 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have seen Markis Kido served much much higher.... and won the olympics gold.

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by captaincook View Post
    I have seen Markis Kido served much much higher.... and won the olympics gold.
    True. But leading up to and since OG 2012, service judges have been much much stricter with service. Especially flick serves.

Ahsan is also another player who serves or appears to serve from the chest.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Name:  Serve waist 2013.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  76.1 KB

Here is what I see.

The Pink line(top of) - is where your lowest rib bit is (I got this point from measuring from where I could still see your arm to elbow, then using that same measurement from that same point straight down, 99% sure that's where your bottom rib is in the photo)

The red line - this is where I think you make contact(with your little rise just before contact) not adjusted for camera tilt granted but tilt minimal.

Conclusion imo serve high by a lot.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah it varies. The very first serve is at the original blue line height but the second was quite a bit lower. And indeed the rule is "the top of the shuttle" not the cork/contact point . (edit 2) Looking at it yet again, the blue line marked the top of the shuttle indeed.

I'd have put the pink line even lower by a smidge, that tiny shaded area just half an inch below perhaps. Accounting for tilt now, the very first serve actually drops a bit from original position. Not as bad as appeared at first ... But who is gonna call something that is roughly in the proper area. Usually it is more noticeable if the shuttle get's lifted or tossed up a bit like in the last serve ... (besides: when have you ever had a service judge at your match )
    Just to mention: Gade's serve is clearly lower in that instruction vid (for singles serve)
    Last edited by demolidor; 11-17-2013 at 06:57 PM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by demolidor View Post
    yeah it varies. The very first serve is at the original blue line height but the second was quite a bit lower. And indeed the rule is "the top of the shuttle" not the cork/contact point .
    I'd have put the pink line even lower by a smidge, that tiny shaded area just half an inch below perhaps. Accounting for tilt now, the very first serve actually drops a bit from original position. Not as bad as appeared at first ...
    Wow I just read that it is the whole shuttle feathers and all, not contact point(9.1.5) cheers demolidor I never knew. So that puts the red line even further up. And I think the pink rib line is certainly not to high at least. So scale that image up to full visor height and your are looking at a sizable distance above rules.
    @demolidor that is the second serve.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ideally it should be more of a push than a hit as well but that requires some major reconstruction and is not worth the trouble.

But to pick a random match for height comparisons : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUMV94eJs6g

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by demolidor View Post
    Ideally it should be more of a push than a hit as well but that requires some major reconstruction and is not worth the trouble.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Name:  serve pro.PNG
Views: 151
Size:  164.1 KB

This is a photo from that match. managed a pause just at contact(player has released shuttle. Shows you that the pro's can serve just about legal sometimes (sorry didn't make the line straight but still)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Considered starting a thread for this but figured i'll post it here.

I've been giving this some thought recently and the only feasible solution i've come up with is a fluorescent tape placed onto the players shirts marking the lowest rib by the umpire before each game.

This should give a clear indication to the line judge when someone is foul serving, and the players wouldn't 'push the boundaries' so much either.

Any thoughts?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast