Planning on shopping in Bangkok

Discussion in 'Market Place' started by stantan, Jan 5, 2004.

1. stantan

stantan Regular Member

Attorney-at-Law
    Guys,

Im planning on a trip to Bangkok this January and was wondering if you could answer some questions on shopping for rackets in general.

1. I intend to go to the Yonex Store in the World Trade Center, but does that mean I should not risk going to other stores?

2. Do they take credit cards in the Yonex store? Is there a surcharge? Do they speak English there?

3. Do people in Bangkok in general speak english? do foreigners (farangs, i think they call them) have a hard time communicating there?

thanks

2. nutty

nutty Regular Member

Government Officer
    Hi, I was just there this past week, so I will try to answer some questions for you. However, I am Thai, so I guess there will be some differences.

1. The Yonex store has decent prices compared to some other countries, but if you are not a member, the prices they offer will still be comparatively higher than what the stores around the National Stadium offer. However, the Nation Stadium shops will speak little to no English at all, so communication will be difficult.

2. I don't think that there is a surcharge, and you can definitely use credit card to my knowledge. As for English, they have trouble with all but the basic things, so if you ask them the difference between 2U or 3U, they will have a very hard time answer (I actually helped them translate that one to a customer of theirs).

3. People in Bangkok can generally speak English, and some will be able to communicate effectively. However, there will be people that will not be able to get your meanings since English, although is taught there, is not really as thorough as it should in order to be totally fluent.

Hope this helps :)

3. musicboy76

musicboy76 Regular Member

Musician
    shopping in bangkok

I'm going to Bangkok next week.....do the shop in WTC have Cab 20 original??I would like to get one....

4. stantan

stantan Regular Member

Attorney-at-Law
    Thanks, Nutty.

This is most helpful.

So, membership is required to get the bigger discounts, eh?

Well, I really dont think I will have to ask for things, so I guess if that's the case I can go to the National Stadium then?

5. nutty

nutty Regular Member

Government Officer
    MusicBoy76, unfortunately, they do not have the Cab 20 original in Bangkok. The only Carbonex they have are the original 21 and the Carbonex 10 with MP frame. Stantan, yes, but beware you might have to walk around a few shops to get the lowest price. There are some that sell really expensive, almost the price of Yonex full price. Compared to the price in Philippines, though, still quite cheap, as the Armortec 700 sells for 17,500 pesos while over there the converted would be about 5000+ pesos. Either way, you'll be ok :)

6. stantan

stantan Regular Member

Attorney-at-Law
    Thanks again, Nutty.

But just for the sake of comparison -

How much would say, an Armortec 700 sell in World Trade Center and how much would the average price be in the National Stadium?

stan

7. nutty

nutty Regular Member

Government Officer
    Hi Stantan,

I'm actually not quite sure about how much the difference would be since on the day that I went to get shuttles, a majority of the shops were closed for New Years holidays but I am positively sure that the cheapest the price can be will be about 1000 baht less than what they sell in the Yonex shop. It varies though, so I can't give you an accurate answer. That has been my experience though. Thanks.

8. stantan

stantan Regular Member

Attorney-at-Law
    thanks, Nutty! thats very encouraging.

so if i go to national stadium, do i just tell that to the taxi driver? and when i get there, where will the shops be? in the stadium itself? finally, can you recommend to me the name of a reputable shop there where I am sure not to get a fake?

thanks again so much!

stan

9. nutty

nutty Regular Member

Government Officer
    Hi Stantan,

Yes, if you go to the National Stadium, just tell them that, and if they don't know it, tell them "Sanam Gira" (sa-naam gee-ra) it means Stadium, and it is located near Hualomphong (sorry its something like that, forgot how it is called). The shops will be on the street to the side of the stadium, there will be vendors that sell soccer jerseys and golf sets as well, so those are the shops you should be looking at. For sure, I know there is a shop there that is called Parrot Sports, and that will be a good sign that you are in the right place. As for fakes, so far, in all the shops that I've looked in the National Stadium, they are all real, and therefore, the lowest prices won't be fake. Cheers and good luck!

#9 nutty, Jan 9, 2004
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2004
  10. bobetski

bobetski New Member

Guys, is yonex shb 99-mx available in bangkok? Where?

11. scchang

scchang Regular Member

Mechanical Engineer
    Prices of Strings

Is there anyone who happens to know the prices of Yonex strings for WTC Yonex shop and the First Sports?

The list of strings includes

BG-65
    BG-68Ti
    BG-80
    BG-85
    BG-88Ti

Many thanks,
    -SC

12. bobetski

bobetski New Member

hi nutty, is yonex shb 99-mx available in bangkok? where?

13. racket man

racket man Guest

have never found Cab20 sell here. only cab 9,10,15,21

14. J_M_V

J_M_V Regular Member

Sales
    At least they had shb 99 m (don't know what that x in the end means) and shb 99 LE a month ago. These are low versions - I'm not sure if they have the mid version of this shoe. All shops selling Yonex genuine stuff had these (at least Yonex shops & shops near national stadium). WTC Yonex normal price 3600 Baht for shb 99m (no discount), national stadium bargained price under 3000 Baht.

15. ecsjgre

ecsjgre Regular Member

Shopping in Bangkok

I just came back from a vacation in Thailand and spent one day in bangkok shopping - April 2006.

Sports shops behind the National stadium
    Not to difficult to find. Find the taxi line at MBK and follow the cars for 200m and turn right...keep walking for 800m...you see the stadium on your right. The first road on your right is where the shops are. Unfortunately all were closed due to the Thai new Year (April 13-15) :mad:

Yonex shop in World trade center
    I checked the World Trade shopping center, but could not find a Yonex shop. The big ware house did not have any rackets.

MBK
    Tried the MBK center and only the sports shop in the ware house had a few rackets....only Fisher though

Siam center (Super Sports)
    ....finally found a Super Sports shop at the top level level of the Siam Center...just on the opposite road of MBK. They did not have any Yonex MP99 left, so I got a Yonex Nanospeed 7000 at 4100B (105 USD)....it is about 200USD in Sweden, where I am from.

I hope this can help someone else who wants to go shopping...

/ Jens

16. stantan

stantan Regular Member

Attorney-at-Law
    Hi,

saw your post and yes, they did close the Yonex is WTC. There is another post on the forum showing their other outlets though. You got a decent price for NS7000, I would say. Hope you like it!;)