Dill

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by Dill, Jan 5, 2004.

1. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    Hi I'm Dill from warm and sunny Glasgow:D

I first started playing badminton after finding my martial arts instructors having a game before a training session and was asked to join in, that's back when I was 16, I think they just wanted to use me as target practice on and off the court. ;)

I'm more of a social player because of the club I used to play at had a very nice coach but was very prone to telling people you'll never make it. I'm sorry because I had to prove him wrong and after beating his star pupil in front of their parents, I have never really lifted a racket in anger since. Prefering to play and have fun instead, sometimes a little too much fun.

My playing days were numbered after that because I started Uni at 18 and the social life and workload made it harder and harder to find time to play and at the time it was very difficult to find anywhere to play and also the weird opening hours of the local centre which is a converted paint warehouse.

I got back into playing after a bad car accident in 2000 and wanted to see if my leg could stand up against a good hard game since I had walked with constant pain ever since the crash. I thought what better way than to sit my first level coaching certificate. I got my old bats strung and gave it a whirl, I was so shocked, I missed the first 10-15 shuttles hit up for me and felt like crawling away and hiding under a stone.

I passed and moved on from there to pass the second but just narrowly missed the third (well according to the tutors anyway) and am waiting to resit. So I have been playing again and coaching for about 3 years, giving my time to any local club that needs it taking mostly starter and intermediates.

Now the pain is gone and my legs feel stronger than they were when I was 18 so that's a good thing in my view.

I'm still the same fun loving nut I was back when I started but now can spend my time teaching others without the same elitist views of my original coach and still spend a lot of time assisting another of my original coaches with his classes and more importaintly learning from him and others in an exchange of views which badminton should be instead of the old "you do this, you do that"

The good thing about growing up is if you want to spend time playing or coaching you find the time, your priorities change and through sites like this one you can exchange views with others who have more experience than you or sometimes the bright ray of light comes from a complete novice stating the obvious thing you have completley overlooked.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK, AND THANKS TO ALL !!!

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    good story. Glad to hear that badminton had helped in your rehabilation after the car accident. Most people ain't that lucky nor have the 'never give up' attitude like your :)

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    "Come back player of the year" award for you, no doubt.

Glad you are recovered, and able to enjoy this wonderful sport.

4. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Thanks guys

I doub't it, my form is very inconsistent which is the main thing to work on this year, and it bothered me somewhat that it took the best part of 1½ years to get any kind of game strung together.

But at least I'm getting there, bit by bit.

5. Marya_1

Marya_1 Regular Member

Hi Dill

I see you are in Glasgow. Wonder if you can let me know of any badminton clubs (not too high a standard) in Glasgow, Hamilton and/or Lanark? Thanks, Marya

6. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    So sorry Dill, but I get the urge to mention the word 'pickle' whenever I see your handle on BC/BF. Just a question : How many times have people called you that and do you take it as a harmless banter or downright insult?

Sorry Dill, I just had to ask! ;)

Celtic for the SPL!

7. Dill

Dill Regular Member

We've just gone 2-0 down to rangers :crying: 3 points back with a game in hand. Tightest league for years.

Dill was a name my work mate gave me about 5 years ago and has stuck with me whenever we get together, someone who comes onto this forum and is in my club sometimes calls me Dill, but my name is Phil so it is to be expected because it is close. When he does others don't know how to take it and we just laugh ;)

8. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    All right, Dill mate. But how about the 'pickles' part?

9. Dill

Dill Regular Member

I know dill is a herb but have never experienced it with pickles :confused:

10. other

other Regular Member

Student
    i think its those little balls u get in the pickle (gherkin ones anyway) jars at the bottom along with those leafy things...

11. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    You can buy fish (i think herring) pickled with dill from IKEA. ( I think it is swedish, mag will know for sure)

12. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
  13. shogunate

shogunate Regular Member

glad that you have recovered from the accident.

btw1, which brand of car were you using during the accident. did u think the car give u enough protection?

btw2, i had used "Dill plants" to cook fish, chicken etc. very very good.

#13 shogunate, Feb 20, 2005
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2005
  14. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    Ah, so dill pickles are pickles with the dill herb. I think. Those in America should know better. It's a common commodity there, oft mentioned in movies, comic, novel etc.

And since you're very much clueless about it, I guess that answers my question on how many had ever called you that and whether you think it's an insult or not.

Better hope none of the Gers fans at the pub know you have a handle called 'Dill', during Old Firm matches. ;)

By the way, how often do you go to Parkhead for matches?

The atmosphere must be unbelievable when the whole stadium belts out "You'll Never Walk Alone". I was almost in tears when I watched and listened to the 'special' rendition of YNWA during the aftermath of the Madrid train bombing tragedy.

It's a pity that the Kop End is no longer what it is nowadays when the terraces were demolished. Not that I've ever been to Anfield at all anyway...

15. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Renault Clio, yes it was very strong. Both cars written off (in otherwords the repair bill would have been more than 70% of their value and mine was brand new) and totaly mangled wrecks :eek:

I was very lucky!