UK: leagues too much mixed and not enough singles.

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by bbirdman, Sep 9, 2013.

1. bbirdman

bbirdman Regular Member

I'm all for encouraging female players but the bottom line is they're aren't enough.

The game involves smash smash smash until you have to clear it then they have advantage or your partner messes it up. You never go sides because they are not good enough.

Once played singles against a league mixed pair and won was miles better

The standard of the females is terrible!!!

Other sports don't suffer like ours. There should be more mens only leagues and singles, while still encouraging women.

I'll stick to singles its miles better. feels like I'm actually playing a sport

2. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

Badminton is probably one of the sports, where *** differences are not that big, because it's not a pure power sport.

Besides that, stop being such a sexist d***head or even better stop interacting with other people. I'd love to see you play (and lose) against one of our females (in singles...).

3. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    This does seem like a slightly strange topic... So, in my club, the women are stronger than most of the men. Our top womens doubles pair would easily beat most of the top mens division pairs I have played against this season.

"Never go sides"? What kind of club are you playing at? My mixed partner has a much stronger defence than me - as our opponents soon figure out.

I would think the more appropriate thing to complain about, is that more top county players don't play in the leagues. Because if they did, then the top county women would play in the leagues, and THEN im sure you would get the games you desire.

Another thing you could complain about, legitimately, is that there don't exist any singles leagues, and there should because it would be fun. But "mens only leagues"? Surely you mean a "mens league" i.e. for mens doubles. There are loads of those. Why don't you play in one of those leagues...?

To be honest, it just sounds like you play in a rubbish league... Try finding a new club with better players that plays in a higher division? OR do some actual training with your partner and help them develop their game. You know. Something helpful.

If they don't want to improve, then FIND A DIFFERENT CLUB! You are obviously in the wrong place - you are competitive and they aren't! Its as simple as that!

However, with your first comment, I have to agree - more women should play league badminton. But then again, without coaching, how can we expect people to take up the sport and get better and enjoy it? WHERE THE HELL ARE THE CLUB COACHES?! Why doesn't any club have a coach... (or too few do anyway).

I think you have made a couple of valid points - generally the standard of female players is lower in leagues, and this is because not as many women play. But this is all made far worse by the fact that county players don't play in the leagues, that there are no club coaches to help people improve, and that nobody bothers to put the time in to practice. However, there are plenty of strong clubs out there with very good mixed teams. I suggest you go and find one.

4. amleto

amleto Regular Member

I've had similar experience as OP at clubs (I'm not too interested in league). The ladies are commonly at the very bottom of the ability scale for a given club in my experience. Not always, but for a definite majority of the time. This makes for very frustrating matches when paired with, or even against them!

Please note I am not including young/improving females in this observation - obviously it is of benefit to us all to nurture and encourage improving talent, but this is not the demographic that causes my frustration.

I made my enjoyment of club night my own responsibility - I was not happy with the quality of the matches in some clubs, so I found better one(s).

#4 amleto, Sep 10, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  5. bbirdman

bbirdman Regular Member

As any female commented on my post? big shock no. Because they are not as keen
    I'm not good enough, experienced enough to play with the best female players.
    People come to places where I play scouting for females players even if they have hardly been playing, no where near as keen as me and no where near as good as me.
    Leagues try to survive on the availability of females.

Other sports don't have this problem.

6. bbirdman

bbirdman Regular Member

Yeah I would love to play a female singles player beat me and no doubt they are out there but there are not that many and unfortunately I have never met one. Sorry but at lower levels mixed badminton is a power sport you have to smash the winners yourself as the females are not experienced enough to capitalize on weak replies.

7. exalted

exalted Regular Member

Marketing
    BBirdman, I understand your frustration. However, you need to power up in order to really get what you seek. Once you become strong enough, you will unveil more of the badminton onion and get competitive games, mixed or not.

8. |_Footwork_|

If you play lower level mixed doubles, you can't expect to play against Imogen Bankier...

9. bbirdman

bbirdman Regular Member

thats just a silly post footwork

10. |_Footwork_|

Your original post is silly!

If you don't want to play with (weak) ladies, you have several options, for example:
    a) go to a club where the ladies are better
    b) don't play with the ladies, but with men and/or singles.

Instead you chose to start a (rather sexist) thread and generalize "The standard of the females is terrible!!!"

That might be true for your club, I don't have this problem. Just find a place that suits your preferences better.

11. bbirdman

bbirdman Regular Member

stop calling me sexist!!! When I play casually I always suggest to the females to play level doubles and not to stay at the net so as to improve their game

I'm being a realist everybody in the Uk knows that females are weaker than males nothing to do with testosterone. Just not enough are interested.

Good ladies play with the very best doubles mens and I am not one of them. I am net and serve player.

12. captaincook

captaincook Regular Member

captain
    bbirdman, very few people say it as it is nowaday. You are one of few that has the courage. Most people are worried about being politically correct; it was not like this 40 years ago....

13. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Your league format must be pretty crap then if there is "too much mixed"?

A standard league match in Holland from the premier division to the very bottom one is 8 matches: 2MS, 2WS, MD, WD & 2XD matches. And there are all male teams/leagues as well as the number of female players is behind. Not really sure how that works out but see 4MS and 4MD matches on the match sheet (edit: looking at some results from season before you can play in more than one MD match).
    I don't really see a problem with lower standard ladies as it only "bothers" you in one match and your opponent would have the same "problem" ...

#13 demolidor, Sep 10, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    In the UK, there are men's doubles leagues, ladies doubles league and mixed doubles leagues. So the OP is catered for if he doesn't want to play mixed doubles because of a low standard. He can limit himself to men's doubles and that's exactly what many men do.

I am rather confused by the OP in saying he could beat a league mixed pair. Was this a pair in league division one?

There aren't any singles leagues but those playing singles usually end up having to play in the county tournaments.

This...
    Vehemently agree. That goes back to: a) an inherent attitude of "let's go play games" amongst club players, and b) court time.

15. bbirdman

bbirdman Regular Member

It not jut about coaching it about ho much you play

16. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    A tricky situation. Badminton in the UK is not as popular as it was 10 years ago. There has been a steady decline in people taking up the sport, especially females.

Why this is probably goes down to junior level and how it is coached. I remember there being a vibrant junior club going. The kids were having fun and messing around but the coach left and a county coach joined. The better juniors were siphoned into county leaving the other juniors feeling like they were never going to be any good so gave up. So people who could have made good club players just disappeared. Females participating in UK sport are dwindling as well.

There are loads a reasons and factors but if you want to make a difference become a coach and get kids having fun again.

17. bbirdman

bbirdman Regular Member

nobody has answered where the hell are the female members on here!!!!! The basic fact is femles dont like sport as much as men but in badminton we have to pander to them

18. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    I have got to say this really is a strange topic... bbirdman says its not about coaching but about how much you play. I couldn't disagree more. Women are, typically, physically weaker than men. That means, when they start playing, TECHNIQUE is whats important - its the how to do it properly. Playing a lot, badly, is not going to help someone improve. Practising a lot, on the other hand, WILL help someone improve.

I am going to be honest and say that at the clubs I used to go to, the women were treated very badly by some of the men (exactly as bbirdman is doing), in that the men have the "their not good enough to play sides" mentality, and as such, the women HATE trying to play level doubles. It is no wonder these women didn't really want to play all that much. Imagine having people muttering about how rubbish you are behind your back (on a forum to the rest of the world)... how much confidence does that inspire you with?

And I am not talking about young talented juniors, but adults who have been playing for 10 years who never became good because they were constantly put down, told the wrong thing, and never received coaching. So, playing a lot does NOT achieve anything, unless you are playing properly - which you do NOT achieve unless the people around you are playing properly, which most men in league clubs do not. Hence, coaching is VERY important. Not just for the one person, but the whole sodding system.

Now then, lets imagine that you are treating the women badly in this way... are they going to invite their friends to play? No. And im not surprised. Are they going to bring their children to play? No. And im not surprised. THAT is what is stopping them from playing - its the negativity of men in leagues that stop people coming and enjoying it for fun. This, in turn, stops more people coming, which stops better players coming.

As a final parting thought, how would you feel if someone awesome walked into your club, with all the "strong" men you play with, and thrashed you and those other "strong" players, and then started complaining about how all the people playing badminton, men and women, are rubbish. In the same way you have done that to women in your club, is it fair for another person to come and do that to you in your club?

Now then, I don't really want to have a go at anyone. Im sorry if I have offended anyone. However, the problem in almost ALL clubs in the UK is a terrible club culture of NOT PRACTISING. Not even warming up properly. And if you don't do that, and you don't treat each other with respect, then nobody improves. And nobody should be surprised.

Whilst I do not think this topic is sexist, I think it completely fails to address the key issues. And if I were a woman, reading this topic, there is no way I would post, because there is so much hostility and negativity coming from bbirdman, as if they should "explain themselves"? They are the ones who are on a badminton forum, surely you should be going and asking the women NOT on the forum why they don't play?

All the best.

19. bbirdman

bbirdman Regular Member

If i was women I could get place at a on a team purely for being a women and playing. Its a lot harder for men. Its nothing to do with a testosterone advantage.

If your female and play badminton you are guaranteed to get into a team. If your a male this is not so. Females are not commenting because they are not as keen. Please comment if you are out there

Matt you probably play with the best femles. Thats nice. I have played with them its good. I can do 2 or 3 shots which weakens the oppositions defence and then the female finishes it off.

I am considered a crap player despite being able to beat most league players at singles because I cannot play mixed with weak female players. You run around like a lunatic smashing, smashing and the female trying her very best not intercept or or do anything. just ducks and avoids everything apart from little drops at the net.

20. bbirdman

bbirdman Regular Member

coaching is very important. but the best players are bascially the ones who have not only been coached but play the most.