Lee Yong Dae ( 이용대 / 李龍大 ) / Yoo Yeon Seong ( 유연성 / 杻延星)

Discussion in 'Korea Professional Players' started by event, Sep 12, 2013.

1. event

event Regular Member

2. KB@TB Em

KB@TB Em Regular Member

student
    Should be an interesting combination, but I somehow never considered Yoo as LYD´s partner... He is not as spectacular as Ko or the Kims imo.
    Pretty solid, but he is more an allround player, not the type of backcourt player (like JJS or KSH)?!
    Propably better in the serve and return game than Ko and psychological more consistent.
    But I wonder if this combination can shine consistenly?! Surely they´ll have success, but long-lasting...

If all this is true and about to happen after the CM, I´m at least as excited about Ko/Shin as Lee/Yoo!

I also think Ko has with Kim the weakest MX double girl. I believe Eom is the most promising. Then Jan Ye Na. On the other side all MD are very good MX doubles player. The question is here the same: CAn they bring out a pair that can really compete with ZN/ZY, MJ/XC and TA/LN (and JFN/CP) in big events?

3. EvoCopter

EvoCopter Regular Member

Technical Manager
    That's interesting. Will have to see them in action to know if they click. I thought previously LYD had wish to partner Shin BC before Ko was selected?

4. visor

visor Regular Member

Yoo is a good match. His smashes are powerful, second to JJS on the Korean team. And his defence is better than Ko. Will be interesting to see them progress.

Guess I can close the Ko/Lee thread that I started. ;)

5. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    This is an interesting pairing. Not really sure whether it would work well personally. To be honest I do not rate Yoo any higher than I rate Ko. Ko definitely has the better smash of the two. But Yoo does ocassionally demostrate some brilliance and vision and does appear more determined than Ko but although I see him as a relatively good all-rounder, he is not exceptional, nor does he seem to be able to step up a gear when it matters most - which they would need to challenge the likes of Ahsan/Setiawan or Qiu/Liu etc.

Whilst I do not believe the preference to have one big smasher in a pairing to be essential, I think LYD's game does need it. He thrives at the net and although he is competent in the rear court, he is most proficient at the front. And if you don't have a rear court player to support that ability, LYD cannot do what he does best. And is made to look mediocre.

Yoo, for me is not an obvious choice, but there is no one else and sometimes when players can "click", it can bring out the best in them - Setiawan/Ahsan for example.

I see LYD's frustration with Ko, I really hope Yoo will shine with LYD. But if I were a team manager, I would also look at any potential up and coming youngsters... I'm not aware of any in the Korean team, and it would be a quite a risk as they would lack experience. But I feel with LYD's leadership and guidance, the right newcomer could develop very quickly.

6. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

When will they start their international assignment?

7. event

event Regular Member

8. steamboat

steamboat Regular Member

Correction 柳延星 not 杻延星

Krazilid likes this.
  9. event

event Regular Member

Actually, the spelling 杻 is from official BKA records put out for the Korea Open. It's really deep into the list of 漢字 in a Korean computer's input method so it seems doubtful that it was typed in there by accident.

10. Grace Law

Grace Law New Member

Student
    I think its an interesting combination , I've never thought BKA would pair them up . But since they did , I'm looking forward to both Shin/Ko and Lee/Yoo :) Can't wait for Denmark Open.

11. event

event Regular Member

Shin and Ko play for the same team domestically so they have already played as a pair several times. They haven't won a national title yet. They've been beaten by teams such as Jung Jae Sung / Kim Sa Rang, Han Sang Hoon / Lee Yong Dae and Cho Gun Woo / Lee Yong Dae. In their most recent outing, they lost in the first round to unknowns Jang Sung Ho / Lee Jung Hwan. Their matches against Jung/Kim and Cho/Lee were very close and exciting, however.

12. hanser

hanser Regular Member

mgr
    Yoo has a better grasp of fast and flat push shots in addition to a powerful smash.
    Imo, there seems to be a new modus operandi for the up and coming pairs..aka.. liu/qiu, saputra/pratama, ahsan/setiawan, endo/hayakawa that favors fast net and flat exchanges.
    Even the old school mighty Danes (mogenson/boe) have had problems when faced with these new styles.

13. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I agree with all of that except I've honestly not seen anything special about Yoo's smash to be honest. It seems very average amongst the top MD players. However as you say, he has good flat play and defense which is probably a touch better than Ko so it would be interesting to see how he plays with LYD. Afterall, you don't need a huge smash to do well - take Ahsan/Setiawan for example.

I think Mo/Bo will always struggle to play the fast flat exchanges with the likes of Ahsan/Setiawan and Liu/Qiu, their long limbs really hinders that sort of fast play whilst their reach gives them good court coverage so the conventional attack/defensive formation suits them better.

14. Grace Law

Grace Law New Member

Student
    But then again they've already done a straight switched ! Only time will tell how they'll do together . :)

15. jjashik

jjashik Regular Member

Wooo hooooo! Yoooopy!!!! Hurray!!!! (and for koreans) ASSA!!!!!

This is going to be a kick-ass season!

16. visor

visor Regular Member

Yoooopy?
    Don't you mean YooooooLee? :p

17. barnana

barnana Regular Member

Can't wait to see the result :D
    I surely hope that YYS could be the "right" partner for LYD.

18. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Being halfway through the match against their Danish opponents, I must say I'm not impressed with Yoo. Pretty sluggish, definitely not moving as well as I remember him doing before his military service. Quite stiff in his movement as well, and his panhandle technique doesn't seem to get better...also noticed him giving away the attack or even the point a few times by not moving fast enough around the back, either playing a weak attacking shot or just letting the shuttle drop in. Very puzzling as I remember his movement to be good. Also has a weak jump on his smashes (for a world class pro^^), not very high and drops far before he actually makes contact.

That being said, he is more solid than Ko was with Lee where flat play and creative defense are concerned. Also can really step up the pace when he goes forward and gets the shuttle into his panhandly forehand (can you tell it bothers me? :D).

19. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Agreed. It wasn't the most convincing performance, but it is too early to tell. They need time to learn each others game and for the coaches to make adjustments. Also don't forget that whilst Yoo is quite experienced, I've no doubt he will be under a bit of pressure as the whole world looks to see if he lives up to the decision to pair him with LYD.

Yoo's defense and flat play is definitely better than Ko and so doesn't leave an obvious target for opponents to smash to. Having said that, their attacking ability doesn't fill me with confidence. It's good but I can't see it worrying any top MD pairings.

I have a feeling the coach will have to change the tactics and push them towards more flat play.

20. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    With The trend set by the Indonesian, no point having big smashes if you can not get the oppurtunity to do so